[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My truck sits outside

nuke'em ttg

Heat for truck  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Block heater vs Remote start

• Go with the block heater
    • Get a Remote starter
    • Get off yer azs and start it 15 min. early
    • Puddy

One of my jobs as a kid was making sure the cars got plugged in, every night in the winter i'd here "Did the cars get plugged in" i didn't mind. Taday my truck doesn't fit in the garage with the ladder racks so it sits out. Got me thinkin which way ta go, my wife has always had a remote starter that takes more then doubleA's and has better range, at least shes hot by the time i get there, anyway her and my mom said i still have to scrape frost with a block heater,great point, but what would really be best for the engine, i hope this is my last truck. TIA unleash the hounds

I see a block heater as more of a measure to make sure it will start on the coldest of days. I don't think the remote start feature will help you if it's so cold outside you need a block heater and don't have one. I kind of thought if you need a block heater, you need a block heater without regard to the remote starter situation. Every car we had with the block heater had them installed already so I have no experience with after market block heaters and what problems would be associated with them but that I recall, I kept a magnetic one in my trunk for my pinto. I'm cheap so no way would I pay for a remote starter when I could just walk out there and turn it on myself. I'd pay for a block heater to make sure the thing turns over in the morning.

I see a block heater as more of a measure to make sure it will start on the coldest of days. I don't think the remote start feature will help you if it's so cold outside you need a block heater and don't have one. I kind of thought if you need a block heater, you need a block heater without regard to the remote starter situation. Every car we had with the block heater had them installed already so I have no experience with after market block heaters and what problems would be associated with them but that I recall, I kept a magnetic one in my trunk for my pinto. I'm cheap so no way would I pay for a remote starter when I could just walk out there and turn it on myself. I'd pay for a block heater to make sure the thing turns over in the morning.

Dang that makes perfect cents. Any chance my 2003 ford has a little plug behind the grill waiting for me :wacko:

Oil pan warmer and battery warmer.

Battery warmer is the most important to assure a start. Oil pan warmer is cost effective and helps dramatically with the frumbles. Engines are balky when the oil pump cannot move the lubricant because the viscosity lessens. This is not as important if you use manufactured oils but it does help.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

One of my jobs as a kid was making sure the cars got plugged in, every night in the winter i'd here "Did the cars get plugged in" i didn't mind. Taday my truck doesn't fit in the garage with the ladder racks so it sits out. Got me thinkin which way ta go, my wife has always had a remote starter that takes more then doubleA's and has better range, at least shes hot by the time i get there, anyway her and my mom said i still have to scrape frost with a block heater,great point, but what would really be best for the engine, i hope this is my last truck. TIA unleash the hounds

u live in iowa it doesn't even get cold there.

Just talked ta service manager, he laughed and said they haven't put block heaters in for years because of electric fuel injectors, this,that some other chit. I'm gonna get off my azs and do the pre-start.

he is full of Athena. i have one -from the factory - on my 2011 350

Do you know where I can get one of these for my wife? :wacko: