[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wikipedia - 24 hour blackout in protest

rajncajn

Just went to look something up on Wikipedia and got this message:

Imagine a World

Without Free Knowledge

For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

Contact your representatives.

Your ZIP code:

Workaround:

Go to google, enter a search item in Google's search box, click on the double gray arrow that appears when you hold your mouse on the right side of the search results. When the snapshot shows up on the right, click on "cache" and you will be directed to the latest snapshot of your search item in Wikipedia. This will be from yesterday, so not 100% updated I guess.

Workaround:

Go to google, enter a search item in Google's search box, click on the double gray arrow that appears when you hold your mouse on the right side of the search results. When the snapshot shows up on the right, click on "cache" and you will be directed to the latest snapshot of your search item in Wikipedia. This will be from yesterday, so not 100% updated I guess.

Now Google has joined in.

It looks like these blackouts are having some affect.

Freshman Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, a rising Republican star, was first out of the starting gate Wednesday morning with his announcement that he would no longer back anti-Internet piracy legislation he had co-sponsored.

Don’t you just love it when politicians withdraw support from bills they originally sponsored?

Don’t you just love it when politicians withdraw support from bills they originally sponsored?

Yeah, especially when the legislation was crafted and pushed by former Democratic Senator Chris Dodd, who is now the CEO of the MPAA (the movie folks), News Corp. owned by Rupert Murdoch, a Republican Congressman from Texas, and a Democratic Senator from Vermont.

We already have laws on the books to protect copywritten material. We don't need new laws, especially ones that more or less are aimed at prosecuting "aiders and abetters" instead of the "criminals".

Yeah, especially when the legislation was crafted and pushed by former Democratic Senator Chris Dodd, who is now the CEO of the MPAA (the movie folks), News Corp. owned by Rupert Murdoch, a Republican Congressman from Texas, and a Democratic Senator from Vermont.

We already have laws on the books to protect copywritten material. We don't need new laws, especially ones that more or less are aimed at prosecuting "aiders and abetters" instead of the "criminals".

I'm on Wiki's side of this issue, but their blackout is only making me irritated with them.

I haven't read much on this yet but I did hear earlier today that the blow back was probably going to kill the bill.

I also heard tea party darling and frequent GOP VP candidate mention Marco Rubio was one of the cosponsors which I thought was pretty interesting given the whole we hate big brother government schtick the tea party usually espouses.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

It looks like these blackouts are having some affect.

They've done the math. The math involves a simple equation as to which side will give them more money.

I just gotta say I'm shocked that only Paul was speaking out against this and the NDAA prior to this blackout. :wacko:

A pretty sad state of affairs in this country when we have to rely on the internet to be the 4th estate, that ironically is being threatened as a check-and-balance with this bill (anyone who thinks that the precedent of blacklisting websites based on "complaints" without proof or due process is aimed at eliminating piracy, is nutty...)

Now I just wish there were some billion dollar media outlets that actually gave a crap about publicizing Americans being assassinated and detained infinitely without habeus corpus rights.

I know SOPA is just a matter of billionaires fighting billionaires, but still pretty proud that the internet moguls were able to effectively stop this BS bill in it's tracks by just 1 day of awareness of what's quietly being voted on by our representatives.