[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No FT for Flynn

Bronco Billy

MJS article

Indianapolis - Though the NFL has not released exact figures on the 2012 salary cap limit, all indications are that the number will remain flat this year.

That means teams can expect the salary cap to be around $120 million again.

In the case of the Green Bay Packers, that's not all bad news.

According to a source with access to NFL salary information, the Packers have $113,356,169 dedicated to their '12 salary cap, leaving them roughly $7 million to deal with free agents like TE Jermichael Finley, C Scott Wells, RB Ryan Grant and CB Jarrett Bush.

That's not a bad position to be in given that the Packers have 63 players under contract. Only the top 51 count against the cap, a total which reaches roughly $110.9 million.

But the Packers also have $2,429,818 of so-called "dead" money or salary cap charges left over from players they released or traded after June 1 of last year. That figure vaults their obligation to $113.3 million.

For all those who think the Packers can put a franchise tag on QB Matt Flynn and then trade him, consider that the Packers would have to fit in the $14 million one-year tender by releasing players.

A McCarthy QB school scholar, Flynn put up some very good numbers last year when pressed into service at NE, and then outrageous numbers vs a DET team playing for a much more desired seed this year in week 17, Flynn ought to be on radars as to where he lands. He could hit the ground running if he ends up with new MIA HC and former GB OC Joe Philbin.

Word has it that Brandon Marshall is trying to sell Flynn very hard on the job.

why don't we compile the data set of glorified-backup-free-agent-QBs-du-jour.

feeley

kolb

cassel

schaub

do you have other names to add? schaub has become a fair NFL QB. the rest? let's just say they leave something to be desired.

Schaub's way better than fair. Cassel's been fair.

why don't we compile the data set of glorified-backup-free-agent-QBs-du-jour.

feeley

kolb

cassel

schaub

do you have other names to add? schaub has become a fair NFL QB. the rest? let's just say they leave something to be desired.

So your position is that Flynn won't be very successful because you can list a few other FA QBs who haven't been very successful?

Steve Young was a back up QB in SF. He was pretty good.

not comparable in any way. steve young (and favre for that matter) were high draft picks and thought of as great "prospects". young started 20 NFL games and however many USFL games before he even went to san fran. he went from a backup to a starter with the same team (like aaron rodgers, phillip rivers, drew brees, john elway, and any other QB who wasn't the day-1 starter as a rookie). comparison just doesn't hold in any respect.

flynn is a 7th rounder who has looked pretty good in limited action backing up a big name starter. that puts him solidly in the feeley, schaub, cassel, kolb category. I thought of another in matt hasselbeck, so there's two slightly-better-than-mediocre QBs out of 5.

Steve Young was a back up QB

So was Scott Mitchell.

Flynn has all of what a few games on his resume? His hype is laughable; worse than the "Eli to the HOF" silliness.

There was no way GB was putting the FT on a backup QB. Someone will overpay. Oh he may pan out don't get me wrong, but he's very unproven. Hell of a risk for someone to pay a ton IMO.

Edited by BeeR

Someone will overpay. Oh he may pan out don't get me wrong, but he's very unproven. Hell of a risk for someone to pay a ton IMO.

This.

The dude is going to cash in on a big day against a sh*tty Lions defense.

so was doug pederson.

I don't seem to remember Pederson being able to throw for 480 yds and 6 TDs in a game against a playoff team with something substantial to play for. Or throwing for 251 yds and 3 TDs in almost pulling out a spot start W in NE.

So, we're just going to line up all the back-ups who turned out good vs all the back-ups who didn't and use that as a barometer? Because there's plenty on both sides.

I'd give Flynn this, he's shown more than any of the soon to be rookies. And he's got some NFL practice. With that in mind, I'd probably take him over anyone in the draft not named Luck or (possibly but I'm just going on what I've been told since I haven't seen him play much at all) the kid from Baylor.

Thing is, all the other QBs in the draft are going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than Flynn could end up, so that would scare me about him. Hell Cassel had a much, much bigger body of work and Kolb was specifically drafted to be the starter and was the starter before he got hurt. So, I side with those who would be a bit shy with the huge multi-year deal just because he lit up Detroit.

I don't seem to remember Pederson being able to throw for 480 yds and 6 TDs in a game against a playoff team with something substantial to play for. Or throwing for 251 yds and 3 TDs in almost pulling out a spot start W in NE.

Your point is.......? 2 games (both vs secondaries who weren't shall we say dazzling) = a career?

Your point is.......? 2 games (both vs secondaries who weren't shall we say dazzling) = a career?

We're also not talking about crappy teams - both were playoff teams. His first start was in NE on Monday night. Nobody is saying he's the second coming of Rodgers - but, part of the trick in winning in FF is being ahead of the curve. Flynn has performed very well when called upon to start against very good teams, and he seems to have soaked up McCarthy's training very well.

Those two games don't make a career, but I'm not sure how one completely discounts them either just because he couldn't unseat Rodgers for the starting QB spot in GB..

We're also not talking about crappy teams - both were playoff teams.
The only thing relevant in discussing Flynn is the Ds he played against, not the whole team. He played well vs a whopping 2 teams, both with poor secondaries, so using that to hype him is not valid.

Nobody is saying he's the second coming of Rodgers
Some seem to be.

Those two games don't make a career, but I'm not sure how one completely discounts them either
Who's

"completely discounting" them? Just saying they are only 2 games. Not enough for a team to make a big gamble on.