[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stay Classy Cows....

SEC=UGA

MAYSVILLE — A Georgia farmer is recovering after being attacked by a 900-pound rabid cow.

Raymond Parks tells WXIA-TV (http://on.11alive.com/xIKbvX) that the cow head-butted him and broke some of his ribs. Parks says he was thrown into a barbed-wire fence during the attack, which he feared he would not survive.

Parks says he went for his shotgun, and fired three blasts at the animal. The cow then slowly walked away, and was eventually put down by a veterinarian.

Parks, who is in his early 70s, says the ordeal has led him to consider retiring from farming.

His Jackson County farm, about 60 miles northeast of Atlanta, is not far from the spot where a rabid bobcat was recently discovered.

Gotta say, cows sort of freak me out because they're so effing huge. We were on a long hike up in the Blue Ridge Mountains that cut across a big pasture with some cows in it. We had our dogs with us, off leash, and obviously leashed them during that stretch because we had no idea what they were going to think of them. None the less, it was oddly uneasy walking through even though, we assumed they were docile given that it was a trail that belonged to the Park service (remote as it was) and the cows were obviously supposed to be there. It's not like the Ranger warned us about the wild cattle that is prone to charge or anything, so again, we continued along the trail None the less, the whole situation was a bit uneasy.

Attack cows are sort of over rated. Cows are so stupid that you can literally walk up to them and push them over. Bulls are a different story. But cows are pretty much just steaks with legs.

Attack cows are sort of over rated. Cows are so stupid that you can literally walk up to them and push them over. Bulls are a different story. But cows are pretty much just steaks with legs.

Honestly, I felt like a tool for being as freaked as I was, for the reasons you give. But it didn't change the fact that I was, none the less, sort of bugged out by it and my wife was easily as much as I was.

Honestly, I felt like a tool for being as freaked as I was, for the reasons you give. But it didn't change the fact that I was, none the less, sort of bugged out by it and my wife was easily as much as I was.

That happens to me with horses. I get nervous if they're not on the other side of a fence.

. None the less, it was oddly uneasy walking through even though,

Speaking of odd... Why do you type it out as "none the less"? I googled it and outside of Britain 500 years ago it seems like everyone considers it to be nonetheless. :wacko:

Gotta say, cows sort of freak me out because they're so effing huge. We were on a long hike up in the Blue Ridge Mountains that cut across a big pasture with some cows in it. We had our dogs with us, off leash, and obviously leashed them during that stretch because we had no idea what they were going to think of them. None the less, it was oddly uneasy walking through even though, we assumed they were docile given that it was a trail that belonged to the Park service (remote as it was) and the cows were obviously supposed to be there. It's not like the Ranger warned us about the wild cattle that is prone to charge or anything, so again, we continued along the trail None the less, the whole situation was a bit uneasy.

when I was a kid, me and my stepdad and some friends of ours had this favorite fishing spot (don't think we were supposed to fish there) that was this bendy little stream in a mountain valley that was being used as a cow pasture. they were docile, but yeah, anything that big is a little unnerving. f*ckers would sneak up behind you while you're fishing, too. I startled and stepped back into the creek once when I turned around and saw one about 5 feet away staring me down. :wacko: we took some really nice native brown and cutthroat trout out of that stream though. good times.

when I was a kid, me and my stepdad and some friends of ours had this favorite fishing spot (don't think we were supposed to fish there) that was this bendy little stream in a mountain valley that was being used as a cow pasture. they were docile, but yeah, anything that big is a little unnerving. f*ckers would sneak up behind you while you're fishing, too. I startled and stepped back into the creek once when I turned around and saw one about 5 feet away staring me down. :wacko: we took some really nice native brown and cutthroat trout out of that stream though. good times.

Exactly, and you feel like a total putz because it's a freaking cow. You're not supposed to be scared of cows.

My Grandfather owned several farms in Beloit Wisconsin. He had a fairly large Dairy operation as well as a feed lot for steers on their way from the Dakotas, by rail, to Chicago. The Dairy herd was Holsteins. That is a pretty good sized cow. I'd say around 5 ft. high at the shoulders and usually three quarters of a ton. The feed lot, down the road and across the road, would see steers come and go. Those animals were usually much smaller. Often these were Herfords, but not always. Both breds were pretty docile. Both were easy to move from pasture to feed lots. The Holsteins obviously had to be moved for milking as well. I would routinely handle and move either as a young boy.

I do not see cows as intimidating. I thing some of the barn cats might have had another opinion as it was not uncommon to see one rub up against a cow being milked and get stomped on for its trouble. I buried a lot of barn cats.

Very occassionally we would house a bull temporarily. Bulls I did not handle or move as a young boy. Even fairly docile bulls can be a problem. Often they will go over a ton in weight, and when they get excited they lose track of everything else around them. At those times they could be dangerous. When straws replaced bulls matters were much improved. We never hand any truely agressive breed of bull on the place.

In the end Wisconsin is not exactly the home of combative cattle. I do remind myself when I occassionally encounter cattle out here in Colorado that they may not be the cows of my youth.