[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Walmart coming to town....ugh

tazinib1

So our little beach community is getting a Walmart. Far be it from me to get in the way of progression, but this is the worst news our little town could ever get. Our town is one of the last remaining true surfer towns left in S.Cali. Its going into the same mall that already has a Home Depot in it. Its right off the 5 south and traffic is already horrendous at that corner. Over the years, due to real estate re-zoning, the demographics have made a complete 180. There is more section 8 housing in our little community of 20k than anywhere else in San Diego county. What will Walmart bring? More low paying jobs. If you don't speak Spanish, you might as well not even apply. As is it, we are only 5 miles from the border so you can imagine the demographics here already with the re-zoning. I don't mind...trust me I don't but I don't think I HAVE to learn Spanish, it should be the other way around. Our town has no billboards and the only fast foot joint in Imperial Beach is a Subway on the boardwalk. Along with Walmart, there is a new development within IB that will bring a Fresh and Easy, Starbucks and Panda Express. We are very in much in need of an alternative grocery store and I'm a big fan of orange chicken :wacko:

But a Walmart? It will ruin this town. Say goodbye to all the small business owners on the boardwalk. Say goodbye to all the other small business owners in IB as well. Home Depot wiped half of them out already. Walmart is the death blow.

And yes, I know Polk and Caddyman will come to Walmarts rescue, but you need to know this city to grasp what I am talking about. BPWally came to visit me during the SB a few years back and he loved it. Sorry Brian but you won't recognize this town if you ever return. Its heartbreaking....

Putting a positive spin on all of this, i've found their cashiers easy to hook up with.

Interesting. I will have to try this. Usually I just hit on the greeters and the "reciept checkers" at the exit. They way they sit there on their little stools and try to stay awake is so cute.

I was working In a small town in Minnesota back in the 80's when Walmart decided to try to come to town. Leading up to the Planning Commission hearing and the eventual City Council approval we were inundated with radio and t.v. adds touting job creation and the fact that Walmart bought American, creating more jobs. They had little blurbs about Georgia Melon farmers and Maine Flag makers who were their suppliers. Their line was that they were good for local communities and good for the U.S.

When they got approved it turned out that the construction jobs hinted at didn't really materialize. They had a system for throwing those things up in mere weeks, and that system included experienced crews that traveled around doing this. It did not include hiring local construction workers.

They killed Mom and Pop as well, and I added and abetted them. Why would I spend $223 for an RCA (remember them) 19 inch color T.V. from Mom and Pop when I could get a 21 inch Samsung at Walmart for $199? I don't know that Pop ever forgave me, but Mom, well Moms forgive just about everything.Of course when Mom and Pop went out of business that also stressed their landlord who raised rents in the downtown shops next to Mom and Pop, and that drove them out as well leaving Mom and Pop, Uncle Rico, and Joe (of Eat at Joe's fame) all unemployed along with the landlord with a now more or less abandoned building.

I left that town a long time ago. I have moved west and have been chased by Walmarts and SuperWalmarts, and Sams Clubs ever since. I notice that now they have dropped any pretense of supporting the American worker.

I don't often go to Walmart though many of the other options are little more than Walmart "Lites". I think it is the smell and the quality of people one sees there that keeps me out. I do, however, have a Sams Club card and will go there occassionally. The monitor I am reding right now came from a Sam's Club.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

I was working In a small town in Minnesota back in the 80's when Walmart decided to try to come to town. Leading up to the Planning Commission hearing and the eventual City Council approval we were inundated with radio and t.v. adds touting job creation and the fact that Walmart bought American creating more jobs. They had little blurbs about Georgia Melon farmers and Maine Flag makers who were their suppliers. Their line was that they were good for local communities and good for the U.S.

When they got approved it turned out that the construction jobs hinted at didn't really materialize. They had a system for throwing those things up in mere weeks, and that system included experienced crews that traveled around doing this.

They killed Mom and Pop as well, and I added and abetted them. Why would I spend $223 for an RCA (remember them) 19 inch color T.V. from Mom and Pop when I could get a 21 inch Samsung at Walmart for $199? I don't know that Pop ever forgave me, but Mom, well Moms forgive just about everything.

I left that town a long time ago. I have moved west and have been chased by Walmarts and SuperWalmarts, and Sams Clubs ever since. I notice that now they have dropped any pretense of supporting the American worker.

I don't often go to Walmart. I think it is the smell and the quality of people one sees there that keeps me out. I do, however, have a Sams Club card and will go there occassionally.

They lied about the American goods and were found out.

They have forced mandatory unpaid overtime from hourly paid workers

They destroy more jobs than they create

They lay waste to the local community

They fob off their employee's health care to the government

They pay peanuts, except to the usual suspects

They will pay millions to lawyers to avoid any union representation

The stores are dirty

The merchandise is crap

They deliberately destroy suppliers

I would sooner starve to death than enter a Walmart or Sam's Club.

They lied about the American goods and were found out. True

They have forced mandatory unpaid overtime from hourly paid workers True

They destroy more jobs than they create Likely true though beyond my keen to track and prove

They lay waste to the local community An opinion, but one i am sure is shared by Mom and Pop

They fob off their employee's health care to the government I do not know this, but have heard it is so. Given their business model I would be shocked were it otherwise.

They pay peanuts, except to the usual suspects If they do indeed pay in peanuts and this is not just a metaphor, I bet they come in two gallon buckets or bigger.

They will pay millions to lawyers to avoid any union representation This I know to be true. Recently I have heard of some failures by them, but they continue the fight.

The stores are dirty They smell and make me want to use hand sanitizer, and I am not one of those hand sanitizer types.

The merchandise is crap No more or less than most merchandize nowadays.

They deliberately destroy suppliers I think that this is not deliberate. Rather I think they find collateral damage acceptable.

They lied about the American goods and were found out.

They have forced mandatory unpaid overtime from hourly paid workers

They destroy more jobs than they create

They lay waste to the local community

They fob off their employee's health care to the government

They pay peanuts, except to the usual suspects

They will pay millions to lawyers to avoid any union representation

The stores are dirty

The merchandise is crap

They deliberately destroy suppliers

And yet, they are by far the most successful retailer in history and the largest non government employer in the United states by a factor of close to 4. They carry around 140,000 items at their largest super centers.

And yet, they are by far the most successful retailer in history and the largest non government employer in the United states by a factor of close to 4. They carry around 140,000 items at their largest super centers.

I support social, political, and business darwinism. Survival of the fittest. I do note, however, that it is common in systems featuring sentient creatures for the less fit to combine to take out the most fit to free up resources and opportunity. The fittest need to account for that facotr or suffer the consequences. In the Walmart evolution we have not yet, perhaps, seen the last act.

Doesn't tell me anything except:

You can wrap any old $hit in plastic and people will buy it.

There are an awful lot of varieties of $hit.

It takes a lot of people to sell lots of $hit.

Instead of bitching about it why don't you guys capitalize on their successes... Grab an out parcel or connected store if it a strip center and open one of the following:

A country buffet style restaurant (or mexican/Chinese restaurant in certain markets)

A nail or hair extension salon

A gun range and sales store

A second hand tire and rim shop.

A thrift, second hand or consignment shop.

A UPS store

A store that sells bedazzled denim clothing.

etc...

Other retailers can thrive around a Wal-Mart as it brings a butt load of traffic. Do your research and find the right niche for your community.