[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mormon Church posthumously baptized Anne Frank

polksalet

They have now Baptized Daniel Pearl...

Can a Mormon please explain? I didn't think Mormons were all that crazy until I read an article about this on CBS news, but this is rather, ummm, absurd.

Who does that?

What I mean is that the only people that really consider this as a valid baptism are the Mormons. I understand that the Jews are a bit more sensitive when it comes to things like this, but how much weight does it really carry? If I hold a ceremony in my back yard and pronounce bread cat as my new pope then should the church be outraged?

What I mean is that the only people that really consider this as a valid baptism are the Mormons. I understand that the Jews are a bit more sensitive when it comes to things like this, but how much weight does it really carry? If I hold a ceremony in my back yard and pronounce bread cat as my new pope then should the church be outraged?

Understood, but why the hell are they going about Baptizing dead Jews? I mean it just seems odd. Even more odd than their habit of Baptizing dead relatives (which I never realized was their practice until reading an article...)

My grandparents were devout Catholics. If someone publicly proclaimed they were now baptized into another religion, even if it was a group of known nutjobs whose views I didn't respect, I'd be pretty pissed. It would be blaspheming their memory and I know they would find it deeply offensive.

My grandparents were devout Catholics. If someone publicly proclaimed they were now baptized into another religion, even if it was a group of known nutjobs whose views I didn't respect, I'd be pretty pissed. It would be blaspheming their memory and I know they would find it deeply offensive.

I would probably just laugh it off. The whole concept of it is so ludicrous that there is no other option than to laugh. However it isn't too far removed from the Catholics "baptizing" infants. Neither the dead nor the babies have any idea of what's going on.

Yeah, I guess I see the point then when you put it that way. Still, you can find much more important things to get outraged about as a group of people

Understood, but why the hell are they going about Baptizing dead Jews? I mean it just seems odd. Even more odd than their habit of Baptizing dead relatives (which I never realized was their practice until reading an article...)

Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean why should they care if someone like Anne Frank were baptized, especially if none of them have a family relationship with them. Honestly, I had no idea what the practice entailed, so I looked it up on Wiki. Not sure of the validity, but it says they have also baptized several Nazi's including Hitler and Himmler as well as several other famous Jews like Einstein, Maimonides and Irving Berlin. :wacko:

If I had to guess, it stems from a belief that anyone that doesn't believe in their faith is going to hell, same issue that causes all kinds of mayhem with people of different faiths everywhere. So they are compelled to such nonsense for the same reason some other folks knock on doors or send missionaries to 3rd world countries...to "save" the targeted people or peoples. In that context, it sure beats suicide bombings or ethnic cleansing.