[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Electrical / Lighting Question

Footballjoe

On my front porch I have two lights that operate off the same switch. I took them down to clean and paint them. I thought it would be a good time to install Dusk to Dawn sensors on them. Very basic sensor from Home Depot. Drill a hole in the bottom and install a sensor. There are 2 wires that connect to the hot / neutral wires already feeding the fixture. Since there is one switch, one of the fixtures has an extra wire feeding the other fixture.

So heres the problem. Within a couple of hours both sensors burned up, tripping the breaker. I removed the senors and reinstalled the lights and have not had a problem. What was the cause:

1) Two faulty sensors - thats unlikely.

2) Hooked them up incorrectly - possible but not likely.

3) Since both lights operate off one switch I only needed one sensor thus causing the problem. :thinking:

4) Any other ideas?

On my front porch I have two lights that operate off the same switch. I took them down to clean and paint them. I thought it would be a good time to install Dusk to Dawn sensors on them. Very basic sensor from Home Depot. Drill a hole in the bottom and install a sensor. There are 2 wires that connect to the hot / neutral wires already feeding the fixture. Since there is one switch, one of the fixtures has an extra wire feeding the other fixture.

So heres the problem. Within a couple of hours both sensors burned up, tripping the breaker. I removed the senors and reinstalled the lights and have not had a problem. What was the cause:

1) Two faulty sensors - thats unlikely.

3) Since both lights operate off one switch I only needed one sensor thus causing the problem. :thinking:

4) Any other ideas?

Home Depot is crap. I'd bet money it's option 1. I bought two lights for my old house which had motion sensors and they both stopped functioning too. I'd return the units and try a reputable lighting place.

I would think you would only need one sensor.

And place it at the "first light" in the chain, not at the end.

I'd just pick up an Intermatic wall switch sensor with astronomical settings. Depending on which way your photocell is facing, you may get mixed results with a photosensor anyway. I'd rather just let an astronomical time clock figure out when sunrise and sunset is. These switches are also smart enough to start at sunset but you can have a time off function so that they don't run 100% of the night unless you need them to.

Something like the EI600 or EJ500 from this link:

http://www.intermati...nic_Timers.aspx

Should be able to find at most electrical distributors if not at Home Depot. You can just call a place and ask for a contractor cash sale price from the city sales desk. My guess is they are about $40 but you'd only need one. Hope that helps.

Edited by Square

I'd just pick up an Intermatic wall switch sensor with astronomical settings. Depending on which way your photocell is facing, you may get mixed results with a photosensor anyway. I'd rather just let an astronomical time clock figure out when sunrise and sunset is. These switches are also smart enough to start at sunset but you can have a time off function so that they don't run 100% of the night unless you need them to.

Something like the EI600 or EJ500 from this link:

http://www.intermati...nic_Timers.aspx

Should be able to find at most electrical distributors if not at Home Depot. You can just call a place and ask for a contractor cash sale price from the city sales desk. My guess is they are about $40 but you'd only need one. Hope that helps.

Way better, bought one and love it. Only issue was wiring it up, but was able to google it and figure it out as the instructions didn't cover my exact setup!

I am an idiot. The way I hooked up the 2 wires coming from the senor was one to hot and one to neutral. One should have been to the power source and the other to the fixture, Did not need one to neutral. :bag: I just got off the phone with my buddy who is an electrician. Could not reach him earlier.

I am an idiot. The way I hooked up the 2 wires coming from the senor was one to hot and one to neutral. One should have been to the power source and the other to the fixture, Did not need one to neutral. :bag: I just got off the phone with my buddy who is an electrician. Could not reach him earlier.

Next time leave the power on and touch both wires to your tongue, this will help you to avoid this problem.

I was going to ask if you did this but read

and didnt want to suggest it