[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's Time, Professional Football needs Professional Refs. FULL TIME

Cowboyz1

I think we have all had enough of all the bad calls and refs being out of position. It's time the NFL dig in their pockets and quit being cheap and get full time refs. You know as well as I do that when you work other jobs and do something on weekends your head isn't in the weekend gig half the time. When you have professional players on the field moving as fast as they do, you have to be on the ball all the time. Refs should be full time professionals that work on their craft year around. They have training camps, meetings, go over every game and crew calls in the off-season and figure out as a professional team what they can do better. Just like a professional corporation. I bet you would find guys more focused and in better positions to make the calls. Then they get the opportunity to bring rookie refs along during the off-season and during OTAs on threw to training camps. There is no excuse to have part-time refs anymore seeings how they have become game changers and in the NFL you can ill afford to make some of the calls they are making when teams fight so hard on the field every Sunday.

You would think with all the millions at stake and how the NFL spends so much time on image and branding they would take refereeing seriously too. Truth is, the refs are causing more problems to the game being watchable then anything else IMO. I can't stand to see a team lose all because of the refs. We saw what happened when scab refs were on the field, so it stands to reason full time refs would be better prepared, in better position and have a better judgement on making calls if they lived, eat and breathed professional football like everyone else does in the league playing.

It's time, the game has gotten too fast, too rich and too important to have part-time anything when it come to on the field decision making. You have to develop fast twitch eyes, ears and legs to be apart of this game and the only way that can happen is if the refs are fully dedicated to the sport. I guarantee you we see a change in the quality of the game and how it's called.

Time to create the NFL Refs Corporation.

I agree, but I don't think it has anything do with the NFL being cheap. If we did this most the NFL refs would have to be replaced, because they have jobs they are not going to give up to be a full time NFL ref. So for a few years the new refs would probably be worse.

I think we have all had enough of all the bad calls and refs being out of position. I

You realize that there aren't more bad calls or refs out of position than there really ever has been...there's just more cameras and coverage so it's easier to see.

• Like 2

Then put Google glasses on the guys so they can see what we see. Its pretty simple really. Put a guy in the booth that sees the replays like we do then have them wear an ear piece and a mic like secrect service and talk to eachother. Plays over flags down the field ref says "talk to me goose". Booth ref says "no call the guy barely touched him" or "yes 90 was holding". Taking a few seconds like we see o. Replay. Some may take a bit longer but most would be very quick.

Then put Google glasses on the guys so they can see what we see. Its pretty simple really. Put a guy in the booth that sees the replays like we do then have them wear an ear piece and a mic like secrect service and talk to eachother. Plays over flags down the field ref says "talk to me goose". Booth ref says "no call the guy barely touched him" or "yes 90 was holding". Taking a few seconds like we see o. Replay. Some may take a bit longer but most would be very quick.

There would be holding on EVERY play if the ever did anything like that..... .ready for games to take 6 hours??? lol

• Like 1

That would lend itself to SO many penalties you could hardly move the ball. "There were 7 penalties on the play......" I'm in favor of making some reforms, but reviewing every play for a penalty would be ridiculous IMO. Possibly making the very inconsistent ones like roughing the passer and defensive PI reviewable may be a good idea. But I think scouring each play for any penalty would take way too long and make the game even less fun to watch. Half of the game would be watching the ref talk.

There would be holding on EVERY play if the ever did anything like that..... .ready for games to take 6 hours??? lol

Not every play the only time they talk is when a flag is thrown already. Not looking for other fouls. Just when a call has already been made and the ref seeks confirmation or correction.

Not every play the only time they talk is when a flag is thrown already. Not looking for other fouls. Just when a call has already been made and the ref seeks confirmation or correction.

So we'd only be correcting penalties that were called but were not really a penalty, and ignoring the missed penalties. So when some player gets creamed late, out of bounds, illegal hit and the officials don't see it for some reason, too bad.

There has got to be a better solution.

I do like the idea that has been tossed around in general to remove the on the field crew from doing replay. Let somebody up in the booth (those who decide what plays to review inside 2MIN/OT). Somebody suggesting a group back in NY doing it, which I believe would be ok but you need one crew for each active NFL game, and I think it would be better for them to be at the stadium.

So we'd only be correcting penalties that were called but were not really a penalty, and ignoring the missed penalties. So when some player gets creamed late, out of bounds, illegal hit and the officials don't see it for some reason, too bad.

There has got to be a better solution.

I do like the idea that has been tossed around in general to remove the on the field crew from doing replay. Let somebody up in the booth (those who decide what plays to review inside 2MIN/OT). Somebody suggesting a group back in NY doing it, which I believe would be ok but you need one crew for each active NFL game, and I think it would be better for them to be at the stadium.

Talk about a home field advantage

Talk about a home field advantage

Don't follow? Are you saying that game officials should not be at the game so they are not influenced by the fans?

I'm simply saying the officials making these decisions should all be at the game. Not some guy sitting in an office at NFL HQ in NYC viewing the game and overruling the officials on the field (which is what I heard somebody suggesting once, I think it was similar to something the NHL does with reviews.)

Don't follow? Are you saying that game officials should not be at the game so they are not influenced by the fans?

I'm simply saying the officials making these decisions should all be at the game. Not some guy sitting in an office at NFL HQ in NYC viewing the game and overruling the officials on the field (which is what I heard somebody suggesting once, I think it was similar to something the NHL does with reviews.)

So what difference do you feel it would make if they were on site or not ?

They are still going to be reporting ( communicating via headsets not face to face )

By being off field it guarantees they see what we see when making a decision not what they thought they seen with their naked eye at full speed

So what difference do you feel it would make if they were on site or not ?

They are still going to be reporting ( communicating via headsets not face to face )

By being off field it guarantees they see what we see when making a decision not what they thought they seen with their naked eye at full speed

I'm not saying they should watch the game with the naked eye, or rely only on that. The replay official in the booth has access to what we see (and more). So does the ref when they go under the helmet. My point is these guys should be part of the game crew working at the stadium, not in an office back in NY. What if something goes wrong with their comm link back to NY, the review process is lost.

I'm not saying they should watch the game with the naked eye, or rely only on that. The replay official in the booth has access to what we see (and more). So does the ref when they go under the helmet. My point is these guys should be part of the game crew working at the stadium, not in an office back in NY. What if something goes wrong with their comm link back to NY, the review process is lost.

My daughter just tried to pull this one on me , I gave her $5 for lunch today , she asked if she could have another $5 , I said what for she said how about this one gets lost , I said you miss a meal , so thing applies here :peace:

I like the idea of having replay refs independent of the on field crew, but don't see why they would have to be at the game rather than being off site. I suspect having all crews off site would be a little cheaper without sacrificing quality so I'd do it that way, same as the NHL does with goal replays. Not sure how baseball does it woth the homerun replays.

My daughter just tried to pull this one on me , I gave her $5 for lunch today , she asked if she could have another $5 , I said what for she said how about this one gets lost , I said you miss a meal , so thing applies here :peace:

Difference is you don't run the NFL and there are billions at stake not just $5. I don't think a down communication should eliminate replay.

I saw Opie do something similar asking both both Aunt Bea and Andy for a nickel for his milk at lunch. Turns out some bully was making Opie give him a nickle to cross the street on his way to school. Just saying ;)

Edited by stevegrab