[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The dumbest things that happened in your drafts thread.

Papa Deuce

This was last year, but still funny. New guy to fantasy gets the 1st pick in a 10 team league. Everyone is staring at him as he takes forever to decide. Finally he grins, cracks his knuckles, and says with confidence... "I'll take the Steelers Defense". Naturally the room exploded with people either laughing, mocking, or just staring in stunned disbelief. Some people (myself included as I am commish) felt compelled to explain to this guy that a defense in the first round was very stupid. He then went on to say "Trust me. I've done my research and I know what I'm doing". So fair enough, we let him roll with the Steelers D, pick one, round one.

He finished last.

This was last year, but still funny. New guy to fantasy gets the 1st pick in a 10 team league. Everyone is staring at him as he takes forever to decide. Finally he grins, cracks his knuckles, and says with confidence... "I'll take the Steelers Defense". Naturally the room exploded with people either laughing, mocking, or just staring in stunned disbelief. Some people (myself included as I am commish) felt compelled to explain to this guy that a defense in the first round was very stupid. He then went on to say "Trust me. I've done my research and I know what I'm doing". So fair enough, we let him roll with the Steelers D, pick one, round one.

He finished last.

You can't fix stupid :)

You can't fix stupid :)

It's funny... there's so much information on the web now it would be hard to claim you did any "research" and make a pick like that. Jump back to 1997, my first year in FF. The norm was buying FF magazines to draft with. My buddy who organized the league, basically bundled up a bunch of newbies without explaining how it worked. Jason Elam (a kicker) went 5th overall at 1.05. Needles to say my buddy won the league, having been in FF long enough to get stats from the Monday morning paper and crunching them on Tuesday to see who won.

I lucked into drafting Fred Taylor in 98 or 99 and wound up in the SB (in week 17). I needed about 6 points from my QB (Brad Johnson) and he was pulled after a quarter and a half because the game didn't mean anything and I lost by two points. That was no fun... lessons learned.

We had a guy who picked Hauschka in round 5, Gordon in round 8 ( before any news of possible reinstatement came about), and picked TONY GONZALEZ in round 12!! To be fair why Gonzalez was on there is a mystery to me - but he picked a kicker, and 2 not playing for season guys a whole 2 rounds before anyone else picked even a kicker

12 team local. The league has been around for about 18 years. There is a core group of 8 owners that have been here all along, and then the other 4 slots have gone to owners who have been fill ins or last minute replacements due to all kinds of things (pregnancies, jail, ER trips, lost job etc..) We all take up positions around the commishes house, cold beer and hot chili in hand, lap tops open, sheets scattered around and stare up at the board as the draft starts.

The first 4-5 rounds go as expected. Some guys reach here and there but barely and for the most part, with decent reasoning. Then we get into the middle rounds. Here is where I like to get guys I have been targeting all off season. Some #2's that have a great chance to be #1's, some #3's that also could move up and be solid starters etc..As the draft snakes back towards me, I have a guy circled on my sheet. A WR I know has a real solid chance to be the #2 on a team that's pass happy. This guy could really be a steal at this point and through all the draft and pre-draft chatter, I haven't heard any of the other owners even mention his name in all the idle talk. I'm on deck, a smile is on my face and then BAM! The owner in front of me grabs the guy. I whisper a bad word a little too loud and the other owner looks over at me with a smirk and holds up his beer and gives it a tip towards me. I respond with a tip of the beer back followed by a middle finger.

I've heard all the stories over the years about draft day blunders, mostly by new owners or serious homers, and they're funny for sure. But it gives me more satisfaction to draft a solid (IMO) team with a group of other owners who definitely have their game on.

Edited by 'canes2004