[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Building an NFL Model

bscully27

To make the best model, I want to make sure I am posing the right question to be solved.

So what are a few of the ways to describe the daily fantasy contest problem?

Should I simply predict points with more accuracy, predict the best lineup, something else?

I have NFL data from 2009 and already beat DK's projections 67% of the time but this doesn't guarantee me success.

Ideally I'd like to have all past contests with winning scores to know if a team I set is good enough to make money.

Since I don't have that data, I'm wondering what others have done.

What have you guys done or have heard done?

I think that by taking a purely analytical approach, you are entering into a nuclear war armed with a BB gun (unless you have access to some supercomputers and are a data scientist by profession).

I think that a large number of DFS entries are generated by computer models and the guys making the models do it professionally.

I have a monster spreadsheet that weighs various projections (including my own, which are based heavily on individual matchup analysis) and I update it weekly to hopefully improve its accuracy.

Doing all of this, I am able to get all of my millionaire maker entries to cash, but I have never been higher than a 4th (from the bottom) tier payout.

I am starting to come to the conclusion that either a) I suck at this and it will never be worth my time or b ) the deck is hopelessly stacked against me and it will never be worth my time.

That said, good luck!

Edited by BA Baracus

I am a data scientist and my current projection model is all coded in Python. Takes 2 minutes to download and run everything. I'm just wondering what is the best relative benchmark to compare my team to.

For example, what if I take a lineup optimizer find the best team given a site's salary and projected points. Then I use my projected points and come up with optimal team 2. If team 2 is projected to outscore by 20%, I could be comfortable. Does that make sense?

Also, there are different strategies for head-to-head vs large contest. Large contest you need players with the highest upside. Head to head, consistency is more important.