[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ken Wisenhunt Fired

drafter

I don't have numbers to back this up, but I can tell you for a fact the Browns are not recycling, they've hired only one HC in the past 15 years that had been a HC before (Mangini).

Sure some guys are just moving around (Whiz, Fox, Lovie, Fisher, Del Rio) but others are new (4 last year Pettine, Gruden, O Brien, Zimmer and 3 this year Tomsula, Bowles, Quinn). Few college coaches have had succes, until more recently with Carrol and Harbaughs, so I can understand not moving them up. And unless they've had some NFL experience I think they're going to really struggle.

Maybe I'm more jaded than others, the rush to fire mid season, or after only 1-2 years just seems insane to me.

3 n 20
  • Like 1

The problem is that teams keep recycling the same garbage. These bad coaches just ride a carousel around the league. Teams need to pull coordinators and college coaches up more frequently.

College coaches frequently struggle making the transition from the college level to the pro level ... they believe in their system that works at the college level and believe they can make it work at the NFL level. Sabin and Spurrier are perfect examples of coaches who were excellent in college but flopped big in the NFL. Chip Kelly is currently having issues with the transition as well.

The only 2 coaches that I know of that had success at the college level and success at the NFL level are Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll ... and both ran the pro style offense.

I think college coaches need to grow through the NFL assistant ranks before they become NFL head coaches ... of course highly successful college coaches from big D1 schools will never leave their college head coach position for an NFL assistant coach position.

• Like 1

3 wins, 20 losses

And 1-20 in games where he didn't have 8 months to prepare (2-0 in week 1 games).

I am very happy he's gone. His game management was questionable at best and his play-calling was rigid and often predictable. If his gameplan wasn't working, he seemed unable or unwilling to change it. I'm not a fan of Mularkey, but we'll see how he finishes this season then find a new coach. Personally I would love Sean Payton but I'm not holding my breath on that.

The offense has no chemistry. Not sure if it's a player problem or a coaching problem. But 3-20 isn't just poor playing, it's a train wreck.

It was only a matter of time before the one dimensional O-line let Mariota get hurt. And poor Mettenberger got fed to the Texans this past week. Until they fix the line the team will never have a chance to develop into anything meaninful.

I don't understand why teams who have porous offensive lines don't run 2TE sets...especxially when they have two capable TE's to help blocking some...

Wonder if Kelly's on the hot seat at PHI and would consider reuniting with Mariota...other candidates, maybe Art Briles, Lane Kiffen, maybe Wade Phillips...

I doubt that Wade is very eager to leave his current post