[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collusion?

golfpro1286

Here is the situation I need help with solving over the next hour or two:

We are an eight team keeper league and the playoff race was very close. There were several teams who were facing a win/lose in/out scenario last week. One of the team owners (team A) came to me concerned that he may lose a tie-breaker after intentionally setting a weak lineup to give the person he was playing (Team B) a better chance to win and make the playoffs. Team A benched Adrian Peterson and Odell Beckham Jr and played Michael Crabtree and Demarco Murray in their places. This ended up giving Team B a win by just a few points and put Team B in the tie-breaker with Team C leading to Team C getting kicked out of the playoffs. I confronted them about this and said that there would be repercussions against both of them if they did not just agree to reverse the scoring. At that point Team A who had previously admitted to do this said that he was just joking. I took a league vote from the owners not in the playoffs and not directly involved. Do you think I have strong enough evidence to re-seed the playoff bracket and fine Team A a draft pick or two next season?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

I mean if Team A didn't want Team C in the playoffs and had the opportunity to influence that possibility I think he has the right to make that decision himself.

That being said, if Team A threw the game because Team B asked him to or promised him something then I think there is a problem, but good luck trying to prove that.

Well I work with both of them and they were talking about it all week long, at one point Team A even told me that Team B offered him money to lose on purpose so he could get in the playoffs. My big problem is only having the circumstantial evidence and a retracted confession.

It's his team to manage as he sees fit IMO. Give that you stated he intentionally tanked the game last week I would not invite him back next year.

Not sure you have any basis to change the outcome of any games just make sure it doesn't happen with him again is how I would handle it

It's his team to manage as he sees fit IMO. Give that you stated he intentionally tanked the game last week I would not invite him back next year.

Not sure you have any basis to change the outcome of any games just make sure it doesn't happen with him again is how I would handle it

That was my initial reaction, but then I was thinking about how mad I would have been if it were my team that was left out of the playoffs because of that. I always try to put myself in the shoes of everyone involved in the situation.

That was my initial reaction, but then I was thinking about how mad I would have been if it were my team that was left out of the playoffs because of that. I always try to put myself in the shoes of everyone involved in the situation.

Yeah but someone being mad is not grounds for penalizing a team on a rule that is no explicitly stated. If you never said to your league that is against the rules to "throw a game" then you have no right to punish them, even if it makes someone mad.

Yeah but someone being mad is not grounds for penalizing a team on a rule that is no explicitly stated. If you never said to your league that is against the rules to "throw a game" then you have no right to punish them, even if it makes someone mad.

There shouldn't have to be rule that explicitly states 'don't be a dickhead'.

• Like 6

That is a very valid point, I don't think it is written anywhere.

Well I work with both of them and they were talking about it all week long, at one point Team A even told me that Team B offered him money to lose on purpose so he could get in the playoffs. My big problem is only having the circumstantial evidence and a retracted confession.

Here in lies the problem IMO. This points to collusion but you would need to prove that they actually exchanged money or agreed to exchange money for doing this. I think you're going to have to let it go for the remainder of the year. When this season is over I would tell these guys they are not welcome back next year. Fantasy football is supposed to be fun, I just don't understand why guys need to do crap like this.

Edited by Finn5033

I'm all in favor of letting the newbs address these issue from now on, they seem to be more in tune with the desired answers of the OP.

I personally haven't the time or energy to try and decide how to handle some league I am not in or commish, because it is run by or played by people are so beyond common sense.

Personally I'd kick the owners out who colluded and leave the standings as they are. Lock out team B (or whover the other colluding team is that made the playoffs) submit the best line-up possible, then take the winnings and throw a party for the rest of the league.

Oh and definitely laugh really hard with team A who threw his game to let another team in the playoffs, which knocked him out. In fact I would have done than when he came to me telling me that he is worried that his stupidity prevented him from making the playoffs.

Oh and add a "don't be a dickhead" rule that states the commissioner will decide what constitutes being a dickhead and what the punishment will be. No likey, don't play in the league.

I'm all in favor of letting the newbs address these issue from now on, they seem to be more in tune with the desired answers of the OP.

I personally haven't the time or energy to try and decide how to handle some league I am not in or commish, because it is run by or played by people are so beyond common sense.

Personally I'd kick the owners out who colluded and leave the standings as they are. Lock out team B (or whover the other colluding team is that made the playoffs) submit the best line-up possible, then take the winnings and throw a party for the rest of the league.

Oh and definitely laugh really hard with team A who threw his game to let another team in the playoffs, which knocked him out. In fact I would have done than when he came to me telling me that he is worried that his stupidity prevented him from making the playoffs.

Oh and add a "don't be a dickhead" rule that states the commissioner will decide what constitutes being a dickhead and what the punishment will be. No likey, don't play in the league.

Both Team A and B made the playoffs via tie-breaker. And for full disclosure, I am not the team who was left out, the outcome has zero effect on my team, I just want to do what is best for the league.

Edited by golfpro1286

I heard him offer him the money, that most certainly happened, but he didn't take any, he just did it for free. Or if he did there will never be any way to prove it.

That's what I'm saying. From what you have told us these two colluded to keep a guy out of the playoffs. Whether you kick them out now or wait till the season is over and don't invite them back is up to you. IMO both of these guys need to go

Edited by Finn5033

I have no idea where some of you got the idea that collusion has to involve the exchange of money...

Def. "Collusion" (noun) - 1) a secret agreement, especially for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy, 2) Law. A secret understanding between two or more persons to gain something illegally, to defraud another of his or her rights, or to appear as adversaries though in agreement.

• Like 1

I don't think they exchanged money at all, I think he just did it for free...

That doesn't matter. Just because they did it for their ghey relationship instead of money doesn't make it any less wrong.

Not saying the guy isn't being a dickhead, but you can't punish him for being a dickhead.

Sure you can. And if you don't want to 'punish' him, you can still reverse the game outcomes to at least return balance to the force.

That is a very valid point, I don't think it is written anywhere.

There is the law and then there is the spirit of the law. This clearly violates the spirit of the law.

Edited by BA Baracus
  • Like 1

I have no idea where some of you got the idea that collusion has to involve the exchange of money...

Def. "Collusion" (noun) - 1) a secret agreement, especially for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy, 2) Law. A secret understanding between two or more persons to gain something illegally, to defraud another of his or her rights, or to appear as adversaries though in agreement.

Now go apply that definition to your claims of collusion in the other thread

The guy told you flat out that he was doing it, and why he was doing it. A and B conspired to keep C out of the playoffs. I don't think you will ever see a more clear cut case of collusion. The retraction means nothing. They should both be booted. Team C should take team Bs spot. You should set Team As lineup, and if A wins, the money should be chopped among the teams who made the playoffs.

• Like 4

Now go apply that definition to your claims of collusion in the other thread

I did...(from the other thread) Team A wants to "urge" Team B (presumably an inactive owner) to set his lineup for the sole (treacherous) purpose of defeating Team C, so that Team A will gain a playoff spot, at the expense of someone else who would rightfully gain that slot, otherwise...it's clear as day to me...anyway, this is what I firmly believe, so no need for me to continue posting on the matter, either here or there...

Edited by the outlaw

This one is simple.

Did owner in question post a valid starting lineup?

If yes, then problem solved. Owners can do anything they want with "THEIR" lineup choices. Period. Everyone should just move on and play Fantasy football. Once the season is over, find a new league.

This one is simple.

Did owner in question post a valid starting lineup?

If yes, then problem solved. Owners can do anything they want with "THEIR" lineup choices. Period. Everyone should just move on and play Fantasy football. Once the season is over, find a new league.

This is a different situation. He heard these guys talking about colluding to keep another team out and they actually did it. He may have posted a full line up but he changed out his 2 best players with the intention of losing.

Edited by Finn5033