[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collusion?

golfpro1286

This one is simple.

Did owner in question post a valid starting lineup?

If yes, then problem solved. Owners can do anything they want with "THEIR" lineup choices. Period. Everyone should just move on and play Fantasy football. Once the season is over, find a new leagu

This one isn't that simple. He heard these guys talking about colluding to keep another team out and they actually did it.

It wasn't as much about keeping a specific team out as it was about getting Team B in...

Edited by golfpro1286

All of these people are friends of mine and we have had this league running since 2008. This is the first major issue of any kind and Team C who was left out is pissed and Teams A and B are both adamantly denying it happened. It is not a simple situation and has to be resolved before tonights game.

This one is simple.

Did owner in question post a valid starting lineup?

If yes, then problem solved. Owners can do anything they want with "THEIR" lineup choices. Period. Everyone should just move on and play Fantasy football. Once the season is over, find a new league.

I would agree if A had set a lesser lineup to give himself the loss to get a better playoff matchup. That is strategy. In this case, B asked A to set a lesser lineup to lose so B could make the playoffs. That is collusion. I'm not sure where the gray area is here. If that isn't collusion, then what is?

Problem is even with the retracted admission of collusion, there is still no way to say Team A would of set such and such lineup for when he was playing Team B.

As such you can only let the standings stay as they are currently. You could however, take a portion of the winnings (if applicable) from either or both of the teams and give Team C his entry/transaction money back. I would also boot both Team A and Team B next year provided they do not have the ability to fire you and are not vital in your office interactions.

• Like 1

All of these people are friends of mine and we have had this league running since 2008. This is the first major issue of any kind and Team C who was left out is pissed and Teams A and B are both adamantly denying it happened. It is not a simple situation and has to be resolved before tonights game.

I don't see that denials hold any water when A flat out told you what he was doing, and why. Team C has every right to be mad. He would have been in the playoffs if A and B had not conspired to get B in instead. As comissioner, you are responsible for the integrity of your league. You should always let members manage their own teams, unless it can be shown that collusion has occured, in which case, the colluding players must be held responsible for conduct detrimental to the integrity of the league. Team B has no business in the playoffs. That is the least you should do. Whether you kick them out or penalize A is on you, but you can't let collusion stand, or you are opening doors to all kinds of behavior that has no business in fantasy.

Edited by Boy Named Suh
  • Like 2

Problem is even with the retracted admission of collusion, there is still no way to say Team A would of set such and such lineup for when he was playing Team B.

As such you can only let the standings stay as they are currently. You could however, take a portion of the winnings (if applicable) from either or both of the teams and give Team C his entry/transaction money back. I would also boot both Team A and Team B next year provided they do not have the ability to fire you and are not vital in your office interactions.

Come on, man...AP and OBJ? Give me a break.

• Like 1

Listen ultimately this is YOUR decision, YOUR league, you and the other owners need to deal with it.

Sounds to me like you have evidence of collusion, you were told this is what they were doing and why. So deal with and don't be too soft, guys like this deserve to be shown they are wrong. Of course working with them makes it harder, but you also work with team C and will have to deal with them being pissed.

Horrible situation for sure, don't make it worse by not acting.

I have no idea where some of you got the idea that collusion has to involve the exchange of money...

Def. "Collusion" (noun) - 1) a secret agreement, especially for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy, 2) Law. A secret understanding between two or more persons to gain something illegally, to defraud another of his or her rights, or to appear as adversaries though in agreement.

I agree with this 100%. Both in the other thread and this one, there seems to be the idea that money has to change hands for collusion to take place. I would assert that the most common instances of collusion in FF are identical to this one. A conversation between two people who are better friends with each other than someone else in the league, so they work it so that they both advance at the other guy's expense. That is still collusion, as it is using two teams to manipulate the outcome of the league. That goes against the standards of manage your own team, and may the best team win. It is entirely unethical, and it should not be permitted in a league who cares about such things. If you have a shoestring, poorly defined rules, super casual $2 buy in type of league, then who cares, but if you are trying to promote a good league that people look forward to being a member of, then handshake agreements have no place in it. It calls into question the integrity of the league on every level.

Edited by Boy Named Suh
  • Like 1

You're speculating on the whole lineup at that point. You can't go back and say "Oh I'd think he start this lineup" without there being subjectivity.

Come on, man...AP and OBJ? Give me a break.

Edit...seriously, though, this is not a courtroom. It is OK for the commissioner to use some common sense as context in conjunction with the stated intent to collude. AP and OBJ are matchup proof week in and week out starters. AP just scored 1 point in standard scoring, and I guarantee no one is benching him.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

I agree with this 100%. Both in the other thread and this one, there seems to be the idea that money has to change hands for collusion to take place. I would assert that the most common instances of collusion in FF are identical to this one. A conversation between two people who are better friends with each other than someone else in the league, so they work it so that they both advance at the other guy's expense. That is still collusion, as it is using two teams to manipulate the outcome of the league. That goes against the standards of manage your own team, and may the best team win. It is entirely unethical, and it should not be permitted in a league who cares about such things. If you have a shoestring, poorly defined rules, super casual $2 buy in type of league, then who cares, but if you are trying to promote a good league that people look forward to being a member of, then handshake agreements have no place in it. It calls into question the integrity of the league on every level.

That is stupid.

It is not a "conspiracy" and it is not "collusion" if two teams put their heads together to decide which players they should start towards the goal of winning their games that week. Because one owner offers another owner advice doesn't mean the other owner has to follow said advice. But even if he follows the advice of another owner it still isn't a conspiracy or collusion. Collusion implies that both owners are gaining a benefit at the expense of another owner. The goal each week is to win your particular matchup ... if the only "benefit" received is that you started the best lineup and won your game ... that is not collusion. In the case where one owner needs an inactive owner to win ... unless the inactive owner gains anything other than a fantasy football win there is no collusion. You guys are just being silly.

Now when an owner says I will give you money to play a particular lineup you have collusion.

That is stupid.

It is not a "conspiracy" and it is not "collusion" if two teams put their heads together to decide which players they should start towards the goal of winning their games that week. Because one owner offers another owner advice doesn't mean the other owner has to follow said advice. But even if he follows the advice of another owner it still isn't a conspiracy or collusion. Collusion implies that both owners are gaining a benefit at the expense of another owner. The goal each week is to win your particular matchup ... if the only "benefit" received is that you started the best lineup and won your game ... that is not collusion. In the case where one owner needs an inactive owner to win ... unless the inactive owner gains anything other than a fantasy football win there is no collusion. You guys are just being silly.

Now when an owner says I will give you money to play a particular lineup you have collusion.

Bold #1: That is not the case here. They put their heads together and discussed how one of them could lose so that the other could win.

Bold #2: That is your made up, very narrow definition of collusion, nothing more.

I am re-seeding the playoff bracket and giving them one chance to come clean to the league about the whole deal. If they admit to it and apologize that will be it. If they decide not to, they will either lose a keeper or draft pick for next season. I will determine which later. Leaning towards a draft pick.

• Like 1

I am re-seeding the playoff bracket and giving them one chance to come clean to the league about the whole deal. If they admit to it and apologize that will be it. If they decide not to, they will either lose a keeper or draft pick for next season. I will determine which later. Leaning towards a draft pick.

Thanks for the heads up...very rare we get any closure on these threads.

• Like 1

They are still denying it lol, and saying that re-seeding the bracket is not fair because I should not have the power to go back and change the result of a game. They cited the patriots in deflategate.

They are comparing themselves to the Patriots? So they are basically admitting their guilt.

I think this is a good approach. Were I in your league, I would lobby to boot them entirely, but the whole work colleague aspect is a rocky sea to navigate.

They are still denying it lol, and saying that re-seeding the bracket is not fair because I should not have the power to go back and change the result of a game. They cited the patriots in deflategate.

First of all, do they know that everyone hates the Patriots?

Secondly, let them know that they brought it on themselves by colluding, and if they don't like your decision, they are welcome to find a new league next year.

What complete dillweeds.

They are doing some serious raging lol I am not really going to say anything else to them about it. But they are seriously angry...

They deserve some of this :wedgie::nutkick::whack:

Did team C get something for being screwed and missing the playoffs? If not I'd still be pissed if I were them, and not really happy with the solution.

I think you've handled it as pretty well . Don't let them make you waiver. In fact make sure the whole league knows what you plan to do, so there are no surprises later.