[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collusion?

golfpro1286

What complete dillweeds.

They deserve some of this :wedgie::nutkick::whack:

Did team C get something for being screwed and missing the playoffs? If not I'd still be pissed if I were them, and not really happy with the solution.

I think you've handled it as pretty well . Don't let them make you waiver. In fact make sure the whole league knows what you plan to do, so there are no surprises later.

The playoff re-seeding involved removing team B from the playoffs entirely as they would have lost and not made it in had the collusion not occurred. Team A now becomes the #1 seed and team C is the new #4 seed.

They are now demanding I step down as commissioner. I wish I could post the texts I got from these two.

Edited by golfpro1286

The playoff re-seeding involved removing team B from the playoffs entirely as they would have lost and not made it in had the collusion not occured. Team A now becomes the #1 seed and team C is the new #4 seed.

Thanks, I read re-seeding (even saw it in the original post) but didn't think that mean changing teams that made the playoffs, usually just shuffling teams in specific matchups.

Good job, your league (other than the 2 dillweeds) should be happy with that.

The playoff re-seeding involved removing team B from the playoffs entirely as they would have lost and not made it in had the collusion not occurred. Team A now becomes the #1 seed and team C is the new #4 seed.

They are now demanding I step down as commissioner. I wish I could post the texts I got from these two.

What does the rest of the league have to say? You alluded to a vote in an earlier response, which I am not for, as I feel that these decisions are best left to the commissioner only when friends and co-worker's loyalties may be involved, but I would still be curious to hear what they think. As for A and B, tell them to deal with it or kick rocks, and if they keep up the loudmouth crap, they earned their way out.

What does the rest of the league have to say? You alluded to a vote in an earlier response, which I am not for, as I feel that these decisions are best left to the commissioner only when friends and co-worker's loyalties may be involved, but I would still be curious to hear what they think. As for A and B, tell them to deal with it or kick rocks, and if they keep up the loudmouth crap, they earned their way out.

I asked the three teams not in the playoffs and not directly involved (in other words Team C did not get a vote) what they thought. 3/3 thought they were guilty based on the evidence I presented. I also presented their defense. 2/3 Thought removal from the playoffs was warranted. The one person who didn't vote for revoking Team B's playoff spot just thought that the violation did not warrant that response.

The poll was not the be-all-end-all. I just wanted to hear what they had to say before I made a decision.

Edited by golfpro1286

I think its a good idea to seek some input from other owners on this kind of stuff. In our league we have 2 commissioners who share the duties, and that helps so we have 2 people considering the situation, or if one commish is involved the other can handle it.

I think its a good idea to seek some input from other owners on this kind of stuff. In our league we have 2 commissioners who share the duties, and that helps so we have 2 people considering the situation, or if one commish is involved the other can handle it.

That is a very good idea, I think we will elect a co-commissioner for next season.

That is a very good idea, I think we will elect a co-commissioner for next season.

This is what we do, we had 1 incident in 9 years. I posted here and referred the league mates to read responses from outside non biased observers of the evidence, it went over well. Perhaps you could present some of these comments to those involved. Maybe it'll change their perspective when they see non biased opinions on the subject. I say job well done.

Good that you consider a vote for this. My friend (a co-worker) started this league some 20+ years ago, a bunch of his friends and some of us from work. He asked me if I wanted to be co-commish with him, I agreed and we're still doing it. Every time there's some griping I suggest we have every owner take a turn as commish (us 2 could alternate on off to have somebody that knows the routine), and they become silent. I know some leagues do it that way, loser or winner is commish, rotations, votes, draw cards.

Good that you consider a vote for this. My friend (a co-worker) started this league some 20+ years ago, a bunch of his friends and some of us from work. He asked me if I wanted to be co-commish with him, I agreed and we're still doing it. Every time there's some griping I suggest we have every owner take a turn as commish (us 2 could alternate on off to have somebody that knows the routine), and they become silent. I know some leagues do it that way, loser or winner is commish, rotations, votes, draw cards.

I just hate that this is the first issue we have ever had as a league, not even a single suspicious trade up until now. It has just been a free fun league for bragging rights. Trust me, this is not a fun position to be in.

Let me know what you think of my message to the league:

Subject: A sad day for The Laces In League

As you all know, it was told to me by one of the owners in our league that he took a dive and intentionally set a weaker lineup to give JewFast-JewFurious a better chance at winning their head to head match-up and getting JewFast-JewFurious into the playoffs. Both have since emphatically denied all accusations, saying that it was just a joke. However, after reviewing all circumstantial evidence along with the original admission by All The Swayze, I have determined that they are guilty of collusion. I have reversed the outcome of their matchup in week 13, which will result in JewFast-JewFurious no longer qualifying for the playoffs. The new bracket is #1 Swayze v #4 I had something for this and #2 Rogues v #3 Sparkle Ponies.
This type of behavior will not be tolerated in this league, it is the first and hopefully last issue of its kind. There will be further repercussions announced in the future as well as some changes to the structure of the league. Stay tuned and good luck in the playoffs!
  • Like 1

Let me know what you think of my message to the league:

Subject: A sad day for The Laces In League

As you all know, it was told to me by one of the owners in our league that he took a dive and intentionally set a weaker lineup to give JewFast-JewFurious a better chance at winning their head to head match-up and getting JewFast-JewFurious into the playoffs. Both have since emphatically denied all accusations, saying that it was just a joke. However, after reviewing all circumstantial evidence along with the original admission by All The Swayze, I have determined that they are guilty of collusion. I have reversed the outcome of their matchup in week 13, which will result in JewFast-JewFurious no longer qualifying for the playoffs. The new bracket is #1 Swayze v #4 I had something for this and #2 Rogues v #3 Sparkle Ponies.
This type of behavior will not be tolerated in this league, it is the first and hopefully last issue of its kind. There will be further repercussions announced in the future as well as some changes to the structure of the league. Stay tuned and good luck in the playoffs!

I think it is perfect until the ambiguity of the further repercussions in the last paragraph. It makes it sound like these two teams may still be facing further repercussions as a result of this. If you meant to say that, then I would have an issue with it as a league member as it is poorly defined, and somewhat arbitrary. As there are no spelled out consequences for collusion, I would personally leave it at the reversal and rebracketing. If you meant to imply that repercussions for future instances would be forthcoming, I think that intent should be a little more clear.

I was planning on also penalizing them with loss of draft pick or keeper, which was tbd.... But maybe the embarrassment of this will be enough.

Just my opinion, but if you are going to let them stay in the league, I don't think that you should arbitrarily come up with additional penalties. It comes off as somewhat sloppy and maybe even a little vindictive. As no penalties were included up to now, let it slide with the moves that you have already made, and make it clear that there will be spelled out penalties for collusion up to and including summary execution...or at least getting kicked out of the league for multiple offenders, which these guys would be.

Again, just an opinion...I would say you have handled a bad situation very well so far.

Edited by Boy Named Suh
  • Like 1

Just my opinion, but if you are going to let them stay in the league, I don't think that you should arbitrarily come up with additional penalties. It comes off as somewhat sloppy and maybe even a little vindictive. As no penalties were included up to now, let it slide with the moves that you have already made, and make it clear that there will be spelled out penalties for collusion up to and including summary execution...or at least getting kicked out of the league for multiple offenders, which these guys would be.

Again, just an opinion...I would say you have handled a bad situation very well so far.

Agree, don't go all Goodell on their a$$

• Like 1

Realize the matter is settled, but question - on paper, is Team C apparently a stronger team than Team B?

Just trying to figure out what logic other than two owners being closer friends than two others would com in to play here. Could be that Team A, in addition to helping his friend out, thought that he was also helping make the playoff competition weaker. Doesn't excuse the behavior, but would not be the first time that we have seen teams set what appear to be intentionally weaker lineups to try influence playoff matchups, however, the other evidence certainly suggest that was not the case here.

First off, I can empathize with you as I have dealt with similar childishness in the league I commish. And I know it really sucks when friends you think you know do something so boneheaded. I am sure the work and inter-personal relationships have now changed for good, or at least for a while. Amazing how make believe football can make people act a certain way.

I think you did the right thing given the information you were presented. As the commish, you have to look out for the "greater good" when making calls like these. YOU HAVE TO PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF THE SHIELD DAMMIT!!!!!!

With all that said, I agree with the poster who said the guy who revealed the shenanigans to you is an absolute fool. If the confessor would have just kept his damn mouth shut, there would be no evidence of collusion and he'd be well within his rights to tank in order to face a lessor opponent. That's just good strategy. Doesn't always work out (karma) but it is worth considering based on opponent future matchups, etc... NOW, I'm never excusing collusion, just personal justified tanking. Sometimes you need to lose to win. That's a line from a horrible movie that I've been trying to remember for years now, but can't find on IMDB.

It sounds like you will have two vacancies in your league next year. You might "let" them stay, but what man with any pride would return under such circumstances, and who would be willing to play with such a deadbeat? How much of a pot do you guys play for? Can I get in? Cause I think I might be able to school you guys, honestly :-). And I promise, I will beat you fair and square.

Edited by WildTurkey