[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collusion question

Pwn7s

We're having a debate in our league about the activity of one team. I'm here seeking everyone's opinion about whether this activity is gamesmanship, unethical conduct, or outright collusion.

There is a league group chat, and our league uses a $FAAB waiver system. This one team with $0 remaining will sometimes message the whole group about a key free agent, telling them to go out and pick up that player so that his main competition can't. He'll also sometimes list the exact $ amount needed to bid so that his competition can't match. There doesn't seem to be any outright bribery or anything, but some think this talk is going too far. So far only other people still playing for something have acted on these tips, but as more people get knocked out of the playoffs the risk for people out of contention acting on them grows.

So what does everyone think? Gamesmanship, unethical behavior, or collusion. Thanks for helping us settle this.

If he's broadcasting the message to the entire group, definitely NOT collusion...if he's conspiring with one or two specific owner in secret, to the detriment of another party, then it would be collusion...

Edited by the outlaw

Yeah, he isn't giving out any information that isn't readibly accessible to everyone. I would say that your real issue is the teams "out of contention" picking up more players. Is there a consolation braket with a payout for the winner? Is it a keeper league? If not, why didn't their rosters lock when they were eliminated? If there is no consolation bracket or keepers, then I would use the same group chat to remind everyone that the ethical thing to do is leave the waiver wire for the teams still playing for something, thanking them for playing this year, and wishing them better luck next year.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

Yeah, he isn't giving out any information that isn't readibly accessible to everyone. I would say that your real issue is the teams "out of contention" picking up more players. Is there a consolation braket with a payout for the winner? Is it a keeper league? If not, why didn't their rosters lock when they were eliminated? If there is no consolation bracket or keepers, then I would use the same group chat to remind everyone that the ethical thing to do is leave the waiver wire for the teams still playing for something, thanking them for playing this year, and wishing them better luck next year.

This, unless there is a good reason teams that are out of the playoffs should not be able to grab players from those still competing.

Otherwise agree with the consensus, not collusion

By definition it is not collusion, but the main goal is still there. By outwardly asking people to block a single person it is still a form of collusion, just by a different name. The end result is the same and I would treat it as such because it is more than one person purposely targeting another player, regardless if it is in secret or publicly announced. Fantasy football is hard enough to win at without being ganged up on.

Per the OP, the guy posting the message on the league board has $0 left to bid with, not everyone else...I interpret that everyone else (including his competitors) have bid $ remaining...if its a general public announcement, and not specifically addressed to anyone in particular, giving everyone equal opportunity to bid, how can it be collusion?

• Like 1