[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaching changes

BeeR

Cincy gives Lewis a 2-yr extension LOL - no wonder they have gone nowhere in forever, Brown is a joke of an owner, as is Haslam - must be something in the Ohio water?

Rumour has both Bears and Colts interested in Harbaugh.

Rumor is the Colts are a hot mess too.   If Harbaugh returns it will be with the Bears, Colts will end up in HC pergatory for a while looking for somebody better than what they had.

Haslam finally hired a competent GM hopefully he'll stay out of the way and let him do his thing, Mikey Brown still holds most of that control in CIN.

Yeah that's probably true.  Irsay used to be a great owner but he pill popped himself into stupidity.  Actually I didn't think Pagano was bad, but not really the answer either...Grigson was the POFS that put them in their current mess with his many screwups.  Just please please don't hire McDaniels.

1 hour ago, BeeR said:

Yeah that's probably true.  Irsay used to be a great owner but he pill popped himself into stupidity.  Actually I didn't think Pagano was bad, but not really the answer either...Grigson was the POFS that put them in their current mess with his many screwups.  Just please please don't hire McDaniels.

I get many Belichick assistants haven't panned out and/or many think he's a product of Tom Brady, but he was also the QB coach.  Based off Jimmy G and Brissett's performances this year, his ability to fill multiple roles, and the maturation over these years since his first HC gig, there's reason to believe he has the potential to be a good HC.  Not saying he will be, just saying wouldn't dismiss him so easily. 

17 hours ago, Def. said:

I get many Belichick assistants haven't panned out and/or many think he's a product of Tom Brady, but he was also the QB coach.  Based off Jimmy G and Brissett's performances this year, his ability to fill multiple roles, and the maturation over these years since his first HC gig, there's reason to believe he has the potential to be a good HC.  Not saying he will be, just saying wouldn't dismiss him so easily.

Could be like Belichik after he was Browns coach, then went back to work under Parcells more and learn more (and probably asked Tuna lots of questions on how to be a good HC). Not sure I'd trust in that from McDaniels, guy always seemed full of himself. I'd rather try Matt Patricia if I was taking a NE assistant.

Another coaching thing to watch, no Browns HC from the new era (post 1999 return) has had another HC job after that, Pat Shurmur the Vikings OC is getting some consideration now. The rest are mostly out of NFL or back to at best a coordinator job.

9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I'll ask again...

Why is Brian Billick not a HC? Wasn't he great with the Ravens? Who's wife did he sex up to get blackballed?

Am I wrong? Is Billick not a good HC?

He doesn't expect too

Plus that article is 5 years ago...so really its like expecting Cowher to return at this point.  Out long enough and the game passes you by. 

E2A - I honestly don't think highly of him as a HC.

Edited by Def.

Jon Gruden to be introduced as Raiders new HC on Tuesday (ESPN, NFL.com etc)

Color me shocked, never thought he'd return. Still don't think Cowher will, and Billick was not considered to be that elite, or creative. And as others have said, after being out of the game for so long, and with such a cushy job its not realistic. Gruden was a perfect case, return to Raiders (though he wasn't happy they're moving to LV when that was reported) and he was still much younger.

Edited by stevegrab

On 1/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, Def. said:

Fine, let the Fins hire him, I'll pass.  We don't need a QB guru anyway but a good overall HC.  IMO he isn't it. "He's learned his errors" I'll buy when I see it elsewhere. 

The Wash and Wash St HCs are being tossed around HC circles.  Interesting candidates...

25 minutes ago, BeeR said:

Fine, let the Fins hire him, I'll pass.  We don't need a QB guru anyway but a good overall HC.  IMO he isn't it. "He's learned his errors" I'll buy when I see it elsewhere. 

The Wash and Wash St HCs are being tossed around HC circles.  Interesting candidates...

Eh...just trying to broaden your horizons.  Hate away my friend, I'd prefer other candidates too if the Dolphins were looking. 

couple of things

marvin lewis-ive been wondering who this guy had pictures of for awhile...it just didnt make sense how he kept surviving...and he was certainly gone....but i will say this... after the last 2 games it was clear his team didnt quit on him which one would have thought they def would have...they didnt lay down and i think that spoke volumes

@steve- i agree...i never thought gruden would come back either...too much stress...too many hours too much pressure....he had a nice gig and got paid well....easier hours and didnt care who won...im suprised....but there is quite a bit of money available to him in that deal if he sees most of it through....but theres a reason you havent seen dungy, billick, cowher etc back...

as far as belichick assistants not faring too well.....most of them came into some rough situations....every year across the league you find a team or two that were terrible the year before that suprise everyone and turn it around quickly....but theres always some that dont and stay mired....i think his assistants took some pretty tough gigs.....i reckon that obrien will do ok with a healthy defense and a healthy deshaun though........im not a huge fan of mcdaniels as a head coach...i think hes an OC...some guys arent cut out for both....you have to remember this a guy that drafted tebow...i think patricia makes a better HC if all situations are equal(depending what kind of situation each guy walks into)

• Like 1

On Sunday, January 07, 2018 at 12:21 AM, Rileyrott said:

If true, Patricia is a much better choice that McDaniels.

Agree, I don't think McD is HC material, based on his past decisions and his demeanor dealing with some of the top players he had. I think Patricia with the Lions could make their defense a bit nastier and the team more balanced.