[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alvin Kamara

michaelredd9

In PPR, Kamara came in #3 last year. And he did not hit his stride until around Week 6. No way he makes it out of the first round. I haven't done the projections yet since the NFL draft has yet to happen and the schedule comes out tomorrow. But if he falls out of the first round on my projections, he's getting more fantasy points to push back up.  He scored 13 times and totaled 1554 yards.  And this year he has no Peterson there and knows what he is doing even more. In PPR, he's probably a top 5 pick IMO. He deserved the ROY he got last year.

14 minutes ago, DMD said:

In PPR, Kamara came in #3 last year. And he did not hit his stride until around Week 6. No way he makes it out of the first round. I haven't done the projections yet since the NFL draft has yet to happen and the schedule comes out tomorrow. But if he falls out of the first round on my projections, he's getting more fantasy points to push back up.  He scored 13 times and totaled 1554 yards.  And this year he has no Peterson there and knows what he is doing even more. In PPR, he's probably a top 5 pick IMO. He deserved the ROY he got last year.

+1

If Ingram had been traded, I would have seriously considered drafting Alvin number one overall this year.  Last year, he made defenses look bad.  Real bad.  And he made it look easy.  He would glide up to the defense and then explode.  His smoothness made it look effortless.  He clearly has amazing vision and instincts in addition to his considerable physical skills.  And with the exception of the Saints having Ingram, he landed on the perfect team.  In 2016, the Saints running backs had 127 receptions.  That had to be an NFL record.  They also had 10 receiving touchdowns and 884 receiving yards.  They were the number one scoring fantasy backfield in 2016 with Mark Ingram, Tim Hightower, John Kuhn, and Travaris Cadet.  Last year, the Saints' running backs had 143 receptions.  In PPR, receptions are king for running backs.  143 receptions is the equivalent of 23.8 touchdowns.  The Saints' running back's 1,254 receiving yards is the equivalent of 20.9 touchdowns.  When you add in their 6 receiving touchdowns, the Saints' running backs had the equivalent of 50.7 touchdowns from the passing game last year.  With Peterson gone, they might top 160 receptions this year.

A few years ago Sean Payton said he was going to improve the Saints' run game.  He said that Brees' skills would decline and they needed their running backs to pick up the slack.  I thought it was lip service.  Coaches with dominant pass games always say they want to improve their run game and it almost always comes to nothing.  But Sean Payton backed up the talk.  In the last 3 years, the Saints traded for Max Unger, used two first round picks on offensive linemen, and traded away Jimmy Graham and Brandin Cooks.  Few pass-first teams would have considered diving in headfirst to that extent.  But it has clearly paid off.  I can't ever remember ranking running backs from the same team in the 1st and 2nd rounds of a fantasy draft.  But I am this year.  I have Kamara ranked at number 6 overall and I have Ingram ranked at the end of the 2nd round.  I haven't decided if I'd be willing to use my first two picks on Kamara and Ingram.  That might be too crazy.

Edited by michaelredd9

I would put him in the top 5 RBs - definitely first round. I don't know what the Saints' schedule looks like this year but barring anything much tougher I don't see why he couldn't repeat his performance again this coming season. I would take Bell or Gurley before him but after that you can make an argument for Kamara. Zeke sure but David Johnson and even the wunderkind Kareemy Hunt have some question marks.

If he fell into the back half of the first round or the second rounds of any redraft it would be a gift from heaven.