[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Panthers a top Defense?

squirrelmastr21

I would call them an "up and coming" defense, with the potential of finishing in the top ten this year, maybe even higher.  Let's not forget that they played the Jets in Week 1, and seeing Winston fall back to earth in Week 2 was pretty predictable.  They still have to play TB twice this year, not to mention road games at DAL, ARI, BUF, and NO.  If they get through those and are still top-five, I'll be legitimately impressed.  

Winston looked great against the Packers because their defense is pretty bad, especially the secondary. Did you see what the Lions were doing on offense last night? 

Rating defenses is hard, greatly depends on what you're scoring. If you give 6pts for def TD, those really skew the numbers and an early TD or 2 doesn't mean those teams will do that regularly. Bucs have 2, and have scored 8 points in 2 weeks other than the TDs. In our league they just don't score a lot, the top 4 DEF averaged 10.5/game, defenses ranked 13-17 averaged about 6.5/gm or 4 points difference. 

Panthers are ranked 2nd in scoring and available in my league, so are Bills(#1), Bears(7), Colts(8) and Broncos (11).

10 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I would call them an "up and coming" defense, with the potential of finishing in the top ten this year, maybe even higher.  Let's not forget that they played the Jets in Week 1, and seeing Winston fall back to earth in Week 2 was pretty predictable.  They still have to play TB twice this year, not to mention road games at DAL, ARI, BUF, and NO.  If they get through those and are still top-five, I'll be legitimately impressed.  

They don't play most of those tougher games until after their 13 bye, and only face DAL before the midway point. 

42 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

They don't play most of those tougher games until after their 13 bye, and only face DAL before the midway point. 

All I'm saying is that it's a bit early to be calling them a top 3 or top 5 defense.  They haven't played anybody.  A rookie QB and a guy whose middle name might as well be "interception."  Do I think their defense is good?  Yes, I think they've drafted well, and are on their way to being pretty solid.  Would I want to start them every week?  Hell no.  I don't even think they're a must hold.  In other words, on weeks where I'm not starting them (I count at least four before Week 10... DAL, ARI, MIN, and ATL on the road), I'm probably not holding them (and carrying two defenses) unless roster size makes it fairly easy to do so. 

In today's NFL, there are too many good offenses, as well as too many pretty bad teams, to just stick with the same defense all season.  All of that said, there are several factors that weigh into streaming defenses.  Cost, roster/bench size, scoring, etc.  

3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

All I'm saying is that it's a bit early to be calling them a top 3 or top 5 defense.  They haven't played anybody.  A rookie QB and a guy whose middle name might as well be "interception."  Do I think their defense is good?  Yes, I think they've drafted well, and are on their way to being pretty solid.  Would I want to start them every week?  Hell no.  I don't even think they're a must hold.  In other words, on weeks where I'm not starting them (I count at least four before Week 10... DAL, ARI, MIN, and ATL on the road), I'm probably not holding them (and carrying two defenses) unless roster size makes it fairly easy to do so. 

In today's NFL, there are too many good offenses, as well as too many pretty bad teams, to just stick with the same defense all season.  All of that said, there are several factors that weigh into streaming defenses.  Cost, roster/bench size, scoring, etc.  

Cost is a big factor in our league, every roster move (player added) costs $2, so nobody does streaming of defense. Until a recent change to scoring the scoring was even lower, I think we increased a shutout from 4-5 points to 10. Still most points scored come from turnovers and sacks. A defense that can regularly hold the score down (14 points allowed is still 4 points) is also good. TDs/safeties are very hard to predict or count on repeating.

We also have a deep bench so teams can carry 2 defenses, but only 2 of 12 teams are doing that (it used to be more in the past). 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Cost is a big factor in our league, every roster move (player added) costs $2, so nobody does streaming of defense. Until a recent change to scoring the scoring was even lower, I think we increased a shutout from 4-5 points to 10. Still most points scored come from turnovers and sacks. A defense that can regularly hold the score down (14 points allowed is still 4 points) is also good. TDs/safeties are very hard to predict or count on repeating.

We also have a deep bench so teams can carry 2 defenses, but only 2 of 12 teams are doing that (it used to be more in the past). 

Yeah, I'm in one where every move is $5.  I typically spend more than most people, and typically go through at least 3-4 defenses each season, if not more.  But, I'm of the mindset that you "have to spend $$ to win $$."  Some guys are so cheap, I don't think they would make a move unless they had to.  :lol:

In that format, I think CAR is a great #2 option.  Still too early to tell if they're a legit top 10-12 defense, in my opinion.  If you waited and grabbed them several rounds later than where the top defenses were going, that's probably great value.  But, I'd still want a pretty solid DEF #2 if they're my top option.  

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Yeah, I'm in one where every move is $5.  I typically spend more than most people, and typically go through at least 3-4 defenses each season, if not more.  But, I'm of the mindset that you "have to spend $$ to win $$."  Some guys are so cheap, I don't think they would make a move unless they had to.  :lol:

In that format, I think CAR is a great #2 option.  Still too early to tell if they're a legit top 10-12 defense, in my opinion.  If you waited and grabbed them several rounds later than where the top defenses were going, that's probably great value.  But, I'd still want a pretty solid DEF #2 if they're my top option.  

We have one owner who regularly leads the league in those paid roster moves, like double the next highest team. Of course he is also often in contention for a title, and for the total points lead (which is where that money goes split by top 3 scoring teams). So by week 10 or so his moves really just cost him $1 since he is getting half of it back. 

I'm cheap, and am in the middle of my league making moves. Some owners always draft 2 kickers and defenses, so they don't have to spend money when the byes come. I don't consider spending $2 frequently to change/stream defenses worth it, considering the limited scoring. Or I just suck at picking a good one ;) this year I've got Ravens and will roll with them until the bye then see if I have a replacement that is better, or just do a one week best option. 

PS  I added the Panthers D to my scout team to keep an eye on their performance.