[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye Week Conundrum - Torn on WW Pickup

bburdett

I am 4-2 sitting in 3rd place in my league at the moment and am playing another 4-2 team in this week's match up.  My conundrum is while I picked up D. Johnson to fill in for Zeke for me this week another team dropped J. Robinson due to their own bye week issues.  I currently sit third priority on the waiver wire, and the two teams in front of me do need a running back, but have been very much not involved so far this year and are currently sitting at the bottom of the standings.  All that is to say I have a chance of him dropping to me.  The main issue is I cannot play Johnson tonight and drop him for the waiver claim tomorrow morning.  I can insert Marquise Brown in his place as my flex and hope for the best, but RB's have a higher floor in my league do to the unique scoring:  .5 point per rush attempt.  As much as it pains me to leave Robinson out there, I am leaning towards taking the points tonight and playing for the win.  My thought is I may not even get Robinson if one of the teams is remotely paying attention.  Really torn on this and would like to know what other people think of this situation.  TIA.

1 hour ago, bburdett said:

I am 4-2 sitting in 3rd place in my league at the moment and am playing another 4-2 team in this week's match up.  My conundrum is while I picked up D. Johnson to fill in for Zeke for me this week another team dropped J. Robinson due to their own bye week issues.  I currently sit third priority on the waiver wire, and the two teams in front of me do need a running back, but have been very much not involved so far this year and are currently sitting at the bottom of the standings.  All that is to say I have a chance of him dropping to me.  The main issue is I cannot play Johnson tonight and drop him for the waiver claim tomorrow morning.  I can insert Marquise Brown in his place as my flex and hope for the best, but RB's have a higher floor in my league do to the unique scoring:  .5 point per rush attempt.  As much as it pains me to leave Robinson out there, I am leaning towards taking the points tonight and playing for the win.  My thought is I may not even get Robinson if one of the teams is remotely paying attention.  Really torn on this and would like to know what other people think of this situation.  TIA.

Regarding the bolded, no legit fantasy software should allow that, players on your active line-up should be locked for the week. Never heard of being able to play somebody, then drop them. Can you even drop that player if they were on your bench and already played? I'd be surprised if you can, CBS doesn't allow that, their game starts they're on your roster until that week is up. Not sure how that's the main issue, were you expecting to be able to do that? 

As for your conundrum, it seems to be use Johnson tonight, or try to get Robinson either way stuck with Brown in the flex. 

Would Robinson  be in your line-up regularly if you added him? Or is this more a blocking move against other teams adding him. That would be the deciding factor for me, if he benefits you taking a small downgrade this week may work out. 

10 minutes ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

If RBs are that valuable then you need to get Robinson. Can you drop anyone else?

Probably not, according to their sig line they have a max of 5 RB on the roster, in order to add Robinson they have to drop a RB (Elliot, Mixon, Henderson, Carson are the other 4). 

I would drop Johnson for Robinson since will probably be a 1 week fill in before Chubb returns.  Since you are 4-2 I think you can take the risk of not playing Johnson since Brown is a good substitute.  But it is down to your acceptance of risk.

18 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Probably not, according to their sig line they have a max of 5 RB on the roster, in order to add Robinson they have to drop a RB (Elliot, Mixon, Henderson, Carson are the other 4). 

In that case if you’re that intent on starting Johnson tonight I’d drop Carson. Would rather have JRob than Carson

47 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Regarding the bolded, no legit fantasy software should allow that, players on your active line-up should be locked for the week. Never heard of being able to play somebody, then drop them. Can you even drop that player if they were on your bench and already played? I'd be surprised if you can, CBS doesn't allow that, their game starts they're on your roster until that week is up. Not sure how that's the main issue, were you expecting to be able to do that? 

As for your conundrum, it seems to be use Johnson tonight, or try to get Robinson either way stuck with Brown in the flex. 

Would Robinson  be in your line-up regularly if you added him? Or is this more a blocking move against other teams adding him. That would be the deciding factor for me, if he benefits you taking a small downgrade this week may work out. 

Interesting you should say that...

I've used Yahoo for years and found out recently that benched players can be dropped even if they have already played. This then allows managers to pick up available players in later games and insert them into their roster holes. It's a strange loophole. I can't seem to fix it with the settings and I've written Yahoo about it, to no avail.

6 minutes ago, 8rattoon said:

Go for JRob

How is this even possible? I hate no-drop lists but clearly this league needs to use them.

If you hate no drop lists you should be against them, let league owners manager their own team. No serious leagues I know have such a thing, sounds like another thing for casual leagues of people who don't know each other playing for little or no money (see your Yahoo loophole). 

3 minutes ago, 8rattoon said:

I've used Yahoo for years and found out recently that benched players can be dropped even if they have already played. This then allows managers to pick up available players in later games and insert them into their roster holes. It's a strange loophole. I can't seem to fix it with the settings and I've written Yahoo about it, to no avail.

As you may have heard from others here, Yahoo is for cheap or free leagues with people not really that serious about FF. Maybe that's all some people use and are expecting such freedom with their rosters. To me it is tantamount to cheating, allowed by the rules but probably not known by most owners. 

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

If you hate no drop lists you should be against them, let league owners manager their own team. No serious leagues I know have such a thing, sounds like another thing for casual leagues of people who don't know each other playing for little or no money (see your Yahoo loophole). 

As you may have heard from others here, Yahoo is for cheap or free leagues with people not really that serious about FF. Maybe that's all some people use and are expecting such freedom with their rosters. To me it is tantamount to cheating, allowed by the rules but probably not known by most owners. 

Jeez, generalize much?

I have three Yahoo leagues, all of which have considerable buy-ins (one is a big-money league) with managers who are serious, competitive and have known each other for years. We switched the big money league (21 yrs going) away from CBS to Yahoo this year. In my experience, CBS is incredibly non-user-friendly, especially when it comes to scoring and waivers. Aside from that aforementioned loophole, which has only shown its ugly face once in 12 years in a "medium-money" league, everyone agrees that Yahoo is a much better option than paying $150 for CBS. Put that $150 into the kitty instead!

Never used a no-drop list before, but JRob being dropped shows just how serious this league must be. Talk about casual...

40 minutes ago, 8rattoon said:

I had a guy do that a few times this year. He had players that were injured for the year and then was able to drop and pick up a new player. I didn’t understand how it was possible.

3 hours ago, 8rattoon said:

Jeez, generalize much?

I have three Yahoo leagues, all of which have considerable buy-ins (one is a big-money league) with managers who are serious, competitive and have known each other for years. We switched the big money league (21 yrs going) away from CBS to Yahoo this year. In my experience, CBS is incredibly non-user-friendly, especially when it comes to scoring and waivers. Aside from that aforementioned loophole, which has only shown its ugly face once in 12 years in a "medium-money" league, everyone agrees that Yahoo is a much better option than paying $150 for CBS. Put that $150 into the kitty instead!

Never used a no-drop list before, but JRob being dropped shows just how serious this league must be. Talk about casual...

Yes I do generalize when it fits. I've been here for years listening to people talk about their Yahoo leagues, many of which were free or low cost, played among a bunch of strangers. People bash leagues run on CBS regularly too. I just find it odd that a serious big money league would use a site that allows you to release players from your team who already played that weak. It basically allows extra roster spots, somewhat randomly, based on who is on your team and when they play. 

no drop list - just sounds odd to say "I'm hate them but that league needs one." Unless you play in the league you don't how serious it is, or issues faced due to structure. I looked closer and see its 12 teams, 8 starters, and 6 on the bench (that's 4 less bench spots than my 12team league). But it also has some strict limits on RB/WR that make managing injuries and byes difficult. Maybe somebody made a mistake dropping him, but having some rule that certain players cannot be dropped is just dumb isn't a good solution.

26 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Yes I do generalize when it fits. I've been here for years listening to people talk about their Yahoo leagues, many of which were free or low cost, played among a bunch of strangers. People bash leagues run on CBS regularly too. I just find it odd that a serious big money league would use a site that allows you to release players from your team who already played that weak. It basically allows extra roster spots, somewhat randomly, based on who is on your team and when they play. 

no drop list - just sounds odd to say "I'm hate them but that league needs one." Unless you play in the league you don't how serious it is, or issues faced due to structure. I looked closer and see its 12 teams, 8 starters, and 6 on the bench (that's 4 less bench spots than my 12team league). But it also has some strict limits on RB/WR that make managing injuries and byes difficult. Maybe somebody made a mistake dropping him, but having some rule that certain players cannot be dropped is just dumb isn't a good solution.

I get what you're saying and actually agree with you in theory on most of this. The loophole would never be exploited in my big money league. It happened one time years ago in a slightly less serious league, but has never since, and was an honest mistake by a first-time player. Ultimately, if the commish stays on top of it and the managers aren't sneaky, loopholes like that quickly work themselves into obscurity, although it's still ridiculous that Yahoo can't make the fix.

Good luck this weekend!

• Like 1

Just to put a bow on this, the other team that dropped Robinson had multiple players on IR, so while he had worse RB's than Robinson they were playing this week.  He has Chubb out as well.  He picked up M. Carter to fill out his lineup.  Not the way I may have played the situation, but to each their own.  In my end I did drop Johnson right before his monster game last night, which was hard to watch not knowing if I was getting Robinson.  However, as I thought, he did drop past the first two teams with waiver priority and I was able to snag him.  Hollywood will be filling my flex spot this week and I am projected just 2 pts less than my opponent, which I can live with.  Thanks for all the advice and points of view.

• Thanks 1