[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Covid and performance

1fastdoc

In reading about player prospects they look at performance by several different metrics and plenty of guys had worse years last year. Nobody seems to factor in illness. Players got Covid, took 5 days off and then were back in play. I had alpha in late 2020 and it took 6 months before my heart rate was back to normal. My running pace has yet to get back to pre-covid. Now, I'm 20+ years older than these elite athletes but I've met others in their 20s who were previously healthy who took months to recover. 

Obviously for contract reasons I suspect a player will do his best and downplay limitations. But I wonder how many felt lingering issues. 

So, with so many off season changes we're going to see break outs and regression. If a player had a manure season last year and is in a better situation this year we may have some surprises if Covid was partly to blame. Just food for thought. 

Side note, we're seeing a huge upswing in new cases and I've already seen the recent variants knock healthy people down hard. 

3 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

In reading about player prospects they look at performance by several different metrics and plenty of guys had worse years last year. Nobody seems to factor in illness. Players got Covid, took 5 days off and then were back in play. I had alpha in late 2020 and it took 6 months before my heart rate was back to normal. My running pace has yet to get back to pre-covid. Now, I'm 20+ years older than these elite athletes but I've met others in their 20s who were previously healthy who took months to recover. 

Obviously for contract reasons I suspect a player will do his best and downplay limitations. But I wonder how many felt lingering issues. 

So, with so many off season changes we're going to see break outs and regression. If a player had a manure season last year and is in a better situation this year we may have some surprises if Covid was partly to blame. Just food for thought. 

Side note, we're seeing a huge upswing in new cases and I've already seen the recent variants knock healthy people down hard. 

FWIW, some guy on Reddit looked at 32 players and their performance after returning from COVID and found a 15-25% decrease in production for that week. They were only looking at one week though, unclear how many might be affected over the whole year. https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/rqt6kw/fantasy_performance_after_a_positive_covid_test_a/

Edited by purplemonster

This is a good point. Couple things to consider here:

1. These omicron variants may be less morbid than the alpha and certainly the delta

2. I wonder if getting it the 2nd or 3rd or more times lessens the physiologic impact

No idea on #2 - just figure this will be hard to model one way or the other. Cases may still be up this Fall but the NFL testing program has changed, so hard to know if we'll know if players get/have covid or not.