[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Player trades with future draft picks

Decisions

How do you value future draft picks in a player trade?

team A has a shot at winning it all

team B isn’t going to make the playoffs barring a miracle 

keep 2 players as your round 1&2 picks each year.

if team A is trading for a top notch player like Kupp, Diggs, Henry, etc and sending back a couple WR2 or RB2’s + a draft pick swap.  What is fair?

Would it have to be something big like a 3rd round to team B and team a getting a 9th or 10th.

or is something like a 4th for 6th round swap reasonable?

2nd year in this league but no one has dabbled into the future draft pick trades yet.

This is why I won't play in a 2 player keeper league without some real set trading rules on future draft picks. have ran into this in the past. A team may have 3 really good keeper options but for whatever reason is out of the playoff hunt.  Why not get something for one of the players he can't keep. Another team will know you can't keep all 3...why sell the farm for one of them? saw this too many times where a playoff team was helped by trading a 10th rd pick for a player that can now help a playoff team, cuz otherwise the other team  would have to drop them, might as well take that 10th rd pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

This is why I won't play in a 2 player keeper league without some real set trading rules on future draft picks. have ran into this in the past. A team may have 3 really good keeper options but for whatever reason is out of the playoff hunt.  Why not get something for one of the players he can't keep. Another team will know you can't keep all 3...why sell the farm for one of them? saw this too many times where a playoff team was helped by trading a 10th rd pick for a player that can now help a playoff team, cuz otherwise the other team  would have to drop them, might as well take that 10th rd pick.

I'm in a 5 player keeper, with no limits (keep forever with no increased cost) and we rarely see a team making these trades near the end of the season. Maybe because our trade deadline is pretty late compared to the end of our season. Unlike the NFL where trades are over after about half the season, our deadline is afer week 12, and regular season ends week 14. 

But we do see a lot of trading like this in the offseason, especially right before our keepers need to be set. I know one year late in a season I traded an above average TE (by no means keeper value) late in the season to a contending team for something like a 4-5 round pick. WIth 5 keepers that's a late round, but can still have value. No doubt we both got value, same would go for trading player X that I won't keep for a pick.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 3:53 PM, stevegrab said:

I'm in a 5 player keeper, with no limits (keep forever with no increased cost) and we rarely see a team making these trades near the end of the season. Maybe because our trade deadline is pretty late compared to the end of our season. Unlike the NFL where trades are over after about half the season, our deadline is afer week 12, and regular season ends week 14. 

But we do see a lot of trading like this in the offseason, especially right before our keepers need to be set. I know one year late in a season I traded an above average TE (by no means keeper value) late in the season to a contending team for something like a 4-5 round pick. WIth 5 keepers that's a late round, but can still have value. No doubt we both got value, same would go for trading player X that I won't keep for a pick.

same in my keeper leagues.  Off season is where all that wheeling and dealing come and it's fine at that point because nobody is dumping players that would allow another team an unfair advantage.  But those kinds of trades during the season, particularly beyond the halfway point can ruin a competitive league.  My two keeper leagues have some pretty strict limits for in-season trading for/away future picks for immediate roster help.  I think we have it as fire-sale proof.  Those limtis/restrictions do not apply to off season. So most owners will wait for off season to wheel and deal next year's picks.  It works a far as preventing late season fire-sales!

Edited by Dcat

I just went back thru our transactions, the following trades occurred that included draft picks (pick 1.01 comes after 60 players are protected, 5 per team).

Singletary for Rachaad White plus 3rd round pick - week 8

Jeff Wilson for KJ Osborn + 6th round pick - week 2

Maybe the number of keepers (5) plays a role, but people are not trading away elite players for draft picks, its almost always a draft pick to even out the deal. Also most stuggling teams don't have elite talent to trade away, the usually end up with their 4/5 keeper being marginal players.