[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Door to door solicitors

stevegrab

Now that I work at home I get these occasional interruptions, I rarely have unplanned visitors so if the doorbell rings I know that is likely what I will encounter. I am usually very short with them, wait to hear who they are with, and tell them I am not interested. 

This one was from a home waterproofing company. When I said I'm not interested in buying anything the lady says "we are not selling, it is free". Yes a free inspection and then estimate for work that will COST MONEY. If I want these services I will seek them out. If you put a flyer on my door send me eon thru the mail I MAY look at it, but still likely to just toss it in the garbage. 

I almost feel sorry for people taking these jobs and often tell them how it must not be very fun ringing many doorbells (many are at work) and dealing with people who are not happy to be disturbed. The weather is decent (over 40 and sunny) so I guess its a good day, but in my neighborhood we don't even have sidewalks (suburbia built in the mid 60s) and I see this person meeting her co-worker on the street to compare notes. 

(end rant)

12 hours ago, Big John said:

Returning to those as most telemarketing calls are now screened out? :blink: 

Could be, I still get plenty of junk calls. In fact it seems somebody signed up for some health care and used my number, I have been getting tons of calls & texts, many of them are looking for "Sandra". Some that I have blocked call back many more times. 

I used to sell newspaper subscriptions door to door in the 80's.  Selling the full 7 days with color Sunday was GOLD!  The company was a dude that would drive us HS kids around and drop us off in neighborhoods.  I swear that guy's other job was pimp, he was creepy.  

On a semi related note, a company in NJ has my cell phone number listed in some directory and I get calls weekly for people trying to reach them.  I've tried to reach the company but their customer service is off shore, lol.  I often just ignore the calls but if I'm in a good mood I'll tell the caller the mistake and redirect them to the right directory.  

20 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

I used to sell newspaper subscriptions door to door in the 80's.  Selling the full 7 days with color Sunday was GOLD!  The company was a dude that would drive us HS kids around and drop us off in neighborhoods.  I swear that guy's other job was pimp, he was creepy.  

On a semi related note, a company in NJ has my cell phone number listed in some directory and I get calls weekly for people trying to reach them.  I've tried to reach the company but their customer service is off shore, lol.  I often just ignore the calls but if I'm in a good mood I'll tell the caller the mistake and redirect them to the right directory.  

I keep getting more of the calls I mentioned earlier, often 5 or more a day, from many different numbers, but almost all with the same area code, prefix and even the first number in the last 4 digits the same. When I have a few minutes I have started to answer them, put them on speaker and then start belching and making other rude noises. If they ask to speak to Sandra I ask them if they are Sandra. 

I wish I had the time to waste I'd start calling each one of the numbers and playing games with the people that answer. 

Your wrong numbers remind me of our office, our company name was one digit off from a well know media company, people kept calling us to complain they never got the paper, cancel it, change subscription etc. Even when people explained and gave them the proper number to call some were still upset with us, because they don't know how to dial the right number.