[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blaylock/Johnson

Marauders11

From the KC Star artice I posted in the "Priest News Thread"

Vermeil mentions Blaylock "carrying the load" so that has to be a good sign for him right? DV doesn't stike me as the Shanahan/Tice type who tells the media one thing (with respect to playing time, etc.) then pulls a fast one on you- he seems fairly strightforward IMO.

I am sure LJ gets some touches too, but I am thinking (hoping maybe) as I said previously that it ends up something like 75/25 in Blaylock's favor on Monday night.

For the rest of this season, the Chiefs appear resigned to a rotation of Blaylock and Johnson.

“It gives Derrick Blaylock a chance to grow as a starter and not wear down,” Vermeil said. “This is his first real opportunity to carry the load. It gives us an opportunity to play Larry and develop him as a player without hurting the offense and maybe helping the offense because he does have power. When he hits you, he still goes forward.

“Neither is Priest Holmes. There's only one Priest Holmes. That's not a negative statement. Each running back has his own style and his own talents and both of these guys are different than Priest Holmes.”

You really want to think Blaylock will be the main guy, meaning more than LJ. I just don't see it. I agree with you on the DV comment that he's straight foward, but I don't think he's saying it like Blaylock is the guy. I really think this is a who knows and both guys will play. If I was to guess I would say LJ gets a little more just because of how well he performed last week, but it really is a toss up who does what and what % of carries they will get. Believe me I'd LOVE to start Blaylock against the Tenn D on Monday night over Portis v Philly on Sunday night, but it's just too risky IMO.

I wish my league had an IR. We have a roster limit of 4 rb's and we are allowed to keep 1 player. I have JJ, Megan Fox McCallister, Priest and Blaylock. Johnson is sitting on the waiver wire and Megan Fox flat out sucks. I think I will have to cut Blaylock and pick up Johnson in hopes that he will emerge as the primary back. If not than I'm stuck with Megan Fox.

Note that Blaylock is a FA...that PH has been contemplating retirement since sometime last offseason (although, I don't think he'll quit since he was injured...he seems MUCH more likely to go out after having a good season than an injury filled one)...and...that KC spent a 1st round pick on LJ.

My guess is that DV wants to see if LJ can be the #1 guy should PH decide to call it quits...because Blaylock has shown some VERY good things this year, and should find some interested parties in the FA market (Oakland? Miami (if looking for a 'budget RB' rather than a 'high flyer' like Edge or SAlexander)? etc.)...and KC wouldn't want to get in a bidding war over their potential #2 or #3 RB...

Said another way, KC's biggest risk is that PH comes back, KC lets either LJ or DB leave, and Holmes gets hurt again...and...only then does KC realize they kept the wrong player.

THEREFORE, I think we'll see a REAL health dose of both players for however long Holmes is out this year (whether it be one more game or the rest of the season).

You really want to think Blaylock will be the main guy, meaning more than LJ. I just don't see it. I agree with you on the DV comment that he's straight foward, but I don't think he's saying it like Blaylock is the guy. I really think this is a who knows and both guys will play. If I was to guess I would say LJ gets a little more just because of how well he performed last week, but it really is a toss up who does what and what % of carries they will get. Believe me I'd LOVE to start Blaylock against the Tenn D on Monday night over Portis v Philly on Sunday night, but it's just too risky IMO.

601143[/snapback]

I have Blaylock currently in my primary league (along with McGahee & Droughns- we start 3 RB's)- and I can easily drop him (no bench space available) to pick up L. Johnson who is on my WW for $3 (we bid with real $$), so it's not a matter of me "wishing" Blaylock into a bigger role because I am stuck with him-

I just really think that DV won't penalize Blaylock for getting knocked out last week- he's already been named as the starter which counts for something, and comments like him carrying the load, etc. just reinforce my decision. I could be wrong of course, but I am rolling with Blaylock over LJ this week.

In my other league (secondary) I also have Blaylock, but I am benching him in favor of Fred Taylor & Westbrook (we start 2 there)

Edited by Marauders11

Note that Blaylock is a FA...that PH has been contemplating retirement since sometime last offseason (although, I don't think he'll quit since he was injured...he seems MUCH more likely to go out after having a good season than an injury filled one)...and...that KC spent a 1st round pick on LJ.

My guess is that DV wants to see if LJ can be the #1 guy should PH decide to call it quits...because Blaylock has shown some VERY good things this year, and should find some interested parties in the FA market (Oakland?  Miami (if looking for a 'budget RB' rather than a 'high flyer' like Edge or SAlexander)? etc.)...and KC wouldn't want to get in a bidding war over their potential #2 or #3 RB...

Said another way, KC's biggest risk is that PH comes back, KC lets either LJ or DB leave, and Holmes gets hurt again...and...only then does KC realize they kept the wrong player.

THEREFORE, I think we'll see a REAL health dose of both players for however long Holmes is out this year (whether it be one more game or the rest of the season).

601346[/snapback]

Muck, I think you hit the nail on the head. With the playoffs out of reach they have to make sure they know what they've got going into next year. I'm a Blaylock owner and would love to see him with 98% of the carries but realistically the best approach for KC is to play them both and see what they can do. Blaylock being a FA next year only makes it more imperative that they give LJ a shot too.

I wish my league had an IR.  We have a roster limit of 4 rb's and we are allowed to keep 1 player.  I have JJ, Megan Fox McCallister, Priest and Blaylock.  Johnson is sitting on the waiver wire and Megan Fox flat out sucks.  I think I will have to cut Blaylock and pick up Johnson in hopes that he will emerge as the primary back.  If not than I'm stuck with Megan Fox.

601153[/snapback]

Unless it is a keeper league, dump Priest and grab Johnson. Priest will not be back this year. No official word, but everything points to it and I expect word today that Priest is done. Even if he isn't, he is out another 2 weeks at best. That doesn't help you in the playoffs. Go get Johnson.

Unless it is a keeper league, dump Priest and grab Johnson.  Priest will not be back this year.  No official word, but everything points to it and I expect word today that Priest is done.  Even if he isn't, he is out another 2 weeks at best.  That doesn't help you in the playoffs.  Go get Johnson.

601409[/snapback]

Wordis out now(from another post). Priest on IR.

Unless it is a keeper league, dump Priest and grab Johnson.  Priest will not be back this year.  No official word, but everything points to it and I expect word today that Priest is done.  Even if he isn't, he is out another 2 weeks at best.  That doesn't help you in the playoffs.  Go get Johnson.

601409[/snapback]

We are allowed to keep one player. I'm holding on to Priest in case he doen't retire.