[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the second straight season...

msaint

...I have a juggernaut team that loses in the semis to an absolutely mediocre, fluke, never-again-will-they-play-like-this team. :D

I started: Peyton B):D, Edge, Domanick :D, Horn B), Andre J.:yay::moon: :moon:, Gonzo:( :moon:, Skins D, Kaeding.

He started: Pennington :eek:, L.Johnson :eek:, Bettis :eek:, Owens, Porter:eek:, Crumpler, Chargers D :eek:, Tynes.

Pennington hadn't thrown a TD since 2001. Bettis gets the MOST CARRIES OF HIS ENTIE CAREER (thanks to Duce conviently being out). Johnson (big shock here – w/ Blaylock conveniently out) gets the start and shreds a weak-ass Denver D that didn't realize it was playing a football game/ Porter was the #8,957 ranked FF WR until yesterday. And the Chargers get a Pop Warner team in the snow. Amazing. :D

Luck. Pure, dumb a-hole luck is all FF comes down to. I thought I knew that already, but this year proves that more than any other.

Culpepper

Westbrook

Portis

Moss

Owens

Shockey

JBrown

NY Jets

This is a team that scored the most points in the league by far and I get blown right out of the SB spot one more time.....

So I feel your pain my friend. :D It sucks... absolutely sucks. :D

:D

Yeah, it's f'n brutal watching lowly Penningtons, Porters and 3rd stringer Larry Johnsons beating up on your Peytons, Edges and Horns. Just a fluke, nothing more. But why can't I ever be on the good end of one of those flukes... (insert Nancy Kerrigan voice)...why?....Why?!...WHY?! :bawling:

...I have a juggernaut team that loses in the semis to an absolutely mediocre, fluke, never-again-will-they-play-like-this team. :D

I started: Peyton B):D, Edge, Domanick :D, Horn B), Andre J.:yay::moon: :moon:, Gonzo:( :moon:, Skins D, Kaeding.

He started: Pennington :eek:, L.Johnson :eek:, Bettis :eek:, Owens, Porter:eek:, Crumpler, Chargers D :eek:, Tynes.

Pennington hadn't thrown a TD since 2001. Bettis gets the MOST CARRIES OF HIS ENTIE CAREER (thanks to Duce conviently being out). Johnson (big shock here – w/ Blaylock conveniently out) gets the start and shreds a weak-ass Denver D that didn't realize it was playing a football game/ Porter was the #8,957 ranked FF WR until yesterday. And the Chargers get a Pop Warner team in the snow. Amazing. :D

Luck. Pure, dumb a-hole luck is all FF comes down to. I thought I knew that already, but this year proves that more than any other.

621842[/snapback]

You said it, when you factor in:

bye weeks

Head-to-head match-ups

Player match-ups

In-game situtations, ie: holding calls, PI in the end-zone calls, etc

Weather

Injuries

guy breaking it, only to be downed at the 1,while your opponent gets a 1 yard gimmie

lucky ars FA pick-ups.

NO reasonable person can ever claim FF is more than 20% skill. You can prepare, draft well, have the aforementioned best team, and still have absolutely no comparitive advantage. In the end, all we can control is the 20% we have some effect on and within that small percentage, attempt to gain an advantage over some guy who bought a magazine one hour before the draft and drafted manning in round 1 and picked up LJ in in week 10.

One evening in 96 after hitting rock-bottom, I knew I needed help. After a tough loss, experiencing a profound sense of despair, falling into depression, and having it ruin my entire week, with the help of an invervention of some loved ones, I have since used the 80/20 rule to help put this "game" into perspective.

After all, A tough FF loss should not cause more despair than the death of a loved one!

Here's my team, 4th highest scoring in our league.

Greise

Alexander

Tomlinson

C. Johnson

Clayton

Morton/Boldin/Branch (depending on matchup)

Witten

Josh Brown

Chicago Defense

This week all of them with the exception of Tomlinson decided to lay an egg. I ended up with a whopping 61 points. If I may borrow from DMDs Tunnel Vision, Somebody Had To Cry.

In the last 3 weeks of our regular season, I averaged 97 points a game, which was the 2nd best 3 game average in our league over that time. In those games, I had 120, 108, and 130 points scored against me, largley in part to facing various components of the Colts passing attack, and then the mighty Drew Bennett on his first big game of the year.

After I quailifed for the toilet bowl, this week I went on to get thrashed by a guy who doesn't even put in a lineup, it's the same carryover he's had since about week 9. His lineup you ask?

Vick

Barlow

Fred Taylor

Patten

Porter

Stallworth

Heap

Longwell

Baltimore

He currently has 104 points, with Patten yet to go.

In hindsight, I don't regret a thing about my team or my lineups all year. This pretty much sums it all up.

Luck ==> :D <== me

:bawling:

621878[/snapback]

For anyone who isn't familiar with this particular emoticon, this is Steeler's dead-on impression of what PITT fans will be doing when they lose Week 16 @ resurgent BUF while the Pats are beating the lowly Niners at home, meaning the road to the SB once again has to roll through Foxboro. :D

For anyone who isn't familiar with this particular emoticon, this is Steeler's dead-on impression of what PITT fans will be doing when they lose Week 16 @ resurgent BUF while the Pats are beating the lowly Niners at home, meaning the road to the SB once again has to roll through Foxboro. :D

621890[/snapback]

Hear, hear!!

621890[/snapback]

Hear, hear!!

622242[/snapback]

Pretty sad when you NE fans have to root for Buffalo to do something your boys couldn't.

For anyone who isn't familiar with this particular emoticon, this is Steeler's dead-on impression of what PITT fans will be doing when they lose Week 16 @ resurgent BUF while the Pats are beating the lowly Niners at home, meaning the road to the SB once again has to roll through Foxboro. B)

621890[/snapback]

Pats' fans already chalking up the Jets game as a win?

:D Not so fast there folks! For one thing, the Jets play NE in week 16. The Pats play the 49'ers in week 17! I was with ya there, for a while, msaint, having lost in my local and BOTH leagues without sniffing 100 points in either this week, but now THIS insult? You may have just cursed yourself! :D

Last year I benched Barlow in the semi's and lost because of it ...  I would have advanced to and won the SB.

This year I benched my whole friggin squad and may lose because of it ... I stranded 50+ points on the bench :eek:

622263[/snapback]

So you were one of the few to actually have someone on your team score? I'd almost prefer to have it sitting on my bench than to just get smashed from all angles...which happened to me yesterday. Doesn't it suck to lose?

I'd like to on the one hand defend MSAINT (he lost to Big Dogs, a truly lucky/bad team) on the other hand...I guarantee that 90% of the leagues out there allow FA pick Ups upo to and even during playoffs.  Big Dogs, you see, loaded up on the likes of Larry Johnson.  It could have been worse, he could have landed Volek, but he still won 220-100, a true whooping.  Big Dogs had LUCK/GREAT MATCHUPS with Pennington, Jerry Porter and Bettis going off. Still, if Duce Staley, Priest/Blaylock and Ronald Curry were healthy, this would have likely been a 5-10 point game.

I myself, friend/nemesis of MSAINT was pulling for Mark as I wanted to face him in a hypothetical Super Bowl. 

After Big Dogs passed on him, I grabbed VOLEK this week, and by the look of the message boards...I was one of thousands that did.  And THANKS to The Huddlers and others, I was convinced to do what I thought I had to do...show some balls and start Volek (over Favre AND Delhomme!)

MSAINT: When you made the trade from me for Edge, you'll recall I stated "BEWARE of week 15 with the Ravens matchup".  Now, it all may seem inconsequential, but to the folks out here, make sure the fact are stated right: You had a decent FFL team, probably the best NAMES, but FFL is also about matchups.

You would have lost to all 3 semifinalists this week.

That said, our league (as I suspect MANY others) will be implementing rule changes...the best teams in the regular season didn't have any "advantages" come playoffs, so the weaker teams were able to load up on Larry Johnsons and Billy Voleks.  But this year seems to be the only year in memory that this happened on this scale.

Net/net: FFL is STILL 60% skill and 40% luck.  My team, for example was:

Volek (Delhomme, Favre)

McGahee, Deuce (Chris Brown)

R.Moss, L.Evans (S.Moss, Rice, Givens)

Heap (Graham)

Bills D

Josh Brown

SO.....heading into today, the skill part of me saw Volek, McGahee, Lee Evans, Randy Moss and Heap as having great matchups. But look at what McGahee did...NOTHING.

Still, Committed may need an amendment. I now see the value of matchups and weak defenses and weather.  I think MSAINT himself may agree!!

As a good friend, I can't wait for MSAINT to win this league, I think he now has learned that final valuable lesson....and even still, luck can still ruin seasons!!

MSAINT, I'll likely lose as well, I may have NO RB (C.Brown and McGahee out!)  :D

I face a scary week 16 now with my oppoenet likely starting:

Pennington

Tiki, Larry Johnson

Burleson, Jerry Porter

Chargers D

Crumpler

I NEED MCGAHEEEEEEEEEEE

And Huddlers, help me rally MSAINT so he comes back with a vengeance, and we can implement the right rule changes.

621682[/snapback]

I had made a post elsewhere, but this string seems more appropriate.

Msaint had a good team, but clearly Andre Johnson and Joe Horn were no more likelier than any other pair of WRs to explode.

I somewhat diagree on 20% skill, 80% luck.

For those that read Committed I am the nemesis/friend, Funk Soul Brothers. I have won this league twice and am in the Super Bowl. I tied for the 3rd best record this year and was 4th in total points. In 8 years, I've made the playoffs 6 times.

Why is this relevant? clearly the skill plays out over a regular season. If your team is a top 4 scoring team, you may lose some flukes and win some flukes but you'll have your share of blowouts.

Playoff FFL is when luck, matchups, weather and skill players all play a part. You could say LJ or Volek are "luck" but anyone (including 75% of you Huddlers) PREDICTED they would do well. Thus we are skilled, knowledgeable players.

Even Jerry Porter or Santana Moss aren't shockers. A shocker is how Tampa Bay players didn't do better vs New Orleans or how Philly guys couldn't light up Dallas.

In MSAINT's case, he had bad matchups almost top to bottom. Ravens vs Peyton and Edge was tough.

SOLACE comes in the following: look at the real NFL!! Luck plays 25% or so of a role there too. MSAINT? He'll be in the Super Bowl next year, he's the odds on favorite. Put it this way....I wouldn't side bet my team against his and I'm in the Super Bowl...but I would have in week 15 based on matchups.

For all out there, wish MSAINT a happy B-day.

...I have a juggernaut team that loses in the semis to an absolutely mediocre, fluke, never-again-will-they-play-like-this team. B)

I started: Peyton :DB), Edge, Domanick :yay:, Horn :moon:, Andre J.:moon: :moon::yay:, Gonzo:( :yay:, Skins D, Kaeding.

621842[/snapback]

Suck it up you've always got next year. There's no :bawling: in fantasy football. One thing I've got to say though :D ; with the matchup you had and the players you went up against, and their matchups you shouldn't be that surprised. :D but it does suck to have the better team on paper and get blown out.

Edited by jgcoach