[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Agent Acquisitions

Men In Tights

The QB hedging discussion got me thinking about another strategy I try to employ and now am wondering if anyone else does this.

I pick up "hot" free agents even if I don't necessarily need them or will ever start them just to prevent anyone else from getting them. My example is picking up Julius Jones (someone dropped him), I picked him up even though I have Edge, DD, and Pittman at RB.

Does anyone else do this? Is this a good strategy?

I like to call it "roster defense". :D

Back when I was 0-3, I used my waiver wire bid (second highest at the time) to snatch free agents left and right off the wire, just to keep them out of the hands of the owners who had better records than me but maybe needed that certain player more than I did... that was one of the reasons why I turned it around, went 10-3 and am now playing in the Super Bowl in Week 16.

If you want to win you grab as many players as you can. My opponent this week has McNabb and may be looking for a QB. I grabbed Collins (I have Volek), Shaud Williams, Randle El, and even Jerry Rice. All I had to do was drop a TE, Kicker and 2 defenses that I don't need.

The QB hedging discussion got me thinking about another strategy I try to employ and now am wondering if anyone else does this.

I pick up "hot" free agents even if I don't necessarily need them or will ever start them just to prevent anyone else from getting them.  My example is picking up Julius Jones (someone dropped him), I picked him up even though I have Edge, DD, and Pittman at RB.

Does anyone else do this?  Is this a good strategy?

624669[/snapback]

Another reason for doing this is to pawn them off on other league members who actually do need them. For example, this year I picked up Chester Taylor and then immediately traded him to the JLewis owner for Jason Witten. I also picked up A-Train and moved him to the TJones owner for Brady. Both moves helped me immensely. I feel like a dirtbag vulture when I do this, but it's a great strategy.

heck ya I do it! better he's on your bench than starting against you!

624675[/snapback]

I agree. You can also trade him later for a player you really need!

I agree. You can also trade him later for a player you really need!

624917[/snapback]

That's how the Jellies make their living ... draft like crap and then live off the waiver wire for guys we want and guys we don't want others to have ... and trade, trade, trade!! It's gotten us to the championship and we've cycled 62 players through 17 roster spots this year ... :D:D

It's gotten us to the championship and we've cycled 62 players through 17 roster spots this year ...  :D  :D

624928[/snapback]

Wow! That's gotta be a record!! B)

I pick up "hot" free agents even if I don't necessarily need them or will ever start them just to prevent anyone else from getting them.  My example is picking up Julius Jones (someone dropped him), I picked him up even though I have Edge, DD, and Pittman at RB.

Does anyone else do this?  Is this a good strategy?

624669[/snapback]

Yes, I do this as well. It can be a good strategy to employ. I also use yo mama's strategy looking at my oponents and seeing where I can do the most damage by "protecting" a FA.