[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts to play starters against Denver

CaptainHook

Yeah, ESPN is reporting that G Rick DeMulling, TE Marcus Pollard, LB Rob Morris, CB Joseph Jefferson, and CB Nick Harper will not play, so they are definitely resting SOME starters. I have a feeling the offensive guys don't play very long. . .

The 96 Broncos basically rested their starters for the last month of the 1996 season as they had home-field wrapped up.

They rested their starters for the last week of last year (to the consternation of the Vikings).

In both cases, they lost their first playoff game.

634585[/snapback]

That's right, it was for like 3 games in that season, and I forgot they did it last year.

Anybody who thinks you should sit your starters should run this by Denver fans, see how they feel about th esubject (not if Manning should sit against them!).

That's right, it was for like 3 games in that season, and I forgot they did it last year.

Anybody who thinks you should sit your starters should run this by Denver fans, see how they feel about th esubject (not if Manning should sit against them!).

634696[/snapback]

As a huge Denver fan. I remember the loss to Jacksonville very well. They could have won the SB that year. I'm not sure they lost because of resting players, or because of resting players for almost a full month.

They did rest players last year, but they lost in the playoffs because they just weren't as good as Indy. Even if they don't rest their players last year against the Packers, they get crushed by Indy.

As a huge Denver fan.  I remember the loss to Jacksonville very well.  They could have won the SB that year.  I'm not sure they lost because of resting players, or because of resting players for almost a full month. 

They did rest players last year, but they lost in the playoffs because they just weren't as good as Indy.  Even if they don't rest their players last year against the Packers, they get crushed by Indy.

635028[/snapback]

Maybe... but you always have the debate about it now... did resting them and takign them out of sync help or hinder them?

Let them play, let them stay hot. Never have doubt that way.

Maybe... but you always have the debate about it now... did resting them and takign them out of sync help or hinder them?

Let them play, let them stay hot. Never have doubt that way.

635077[/snapback]

Even if for just a half.

Manning missed a lot of time late in games this year without it his rhythm (sp). So they should at least get the starters out there for the 1st half anyway. Keep them playing and the momentum going.

Even if for just a half.

Manning missed a lot of time late in games this year without it his rhythm (sp). So they should at least get the starters out there for the 1st half anyway. Keep them playing and the momentum going.

635095[/snapback]

Abso-smurfly. Nobody is saying that they have to play the whole game, but the more the better. Especially Indi, who has got a HUGE uphill battle to wage in unfriendly territory. They have to be on their A-game for the next month or so, and to do that you can't let up once.

Yeah, ESPN is reporting that G Rick DeMulling, TE Marcus Pollard, LB Rob Morris, CB Joseph Jefferson, and CB Nick Harper will not play, so they are definitely resting SOME starters.  I have a feeling the offensive guys don't play very long. . .

634649[/snapback]

Hook, how do you explain The Colts being 8-9 point 'dogs this weekend unless Manning & Co. are seeing very limited action. What are you hearing locally?

If I were dungy, I'd want to play the donkeys in the first round. So I'd want to lose, or at least give the broncos a good shot of winning. But since I'll play them in a week, i want to get a feel for what they're going to throw at me...

So,

I say we're going to play our starters, we're going to try to win...Thus, Denver will throw the defensive book at Indy...I mean, why save it? You need to win this game, so no holds barred.

Indy starts their boys, uses a somewhat limited playbook. Gets a feel for the full speed of Denver's D...then sits the studs and contemplates. Denver wins against Sorgi, Rhodes and company. Indy gets a lesson learned, the donks get a road game at Indy and we fantasy week 17 superbowl jerks with 3 starters off Indy's team get screwed.

Hook, how do you explain The Colts being 8-9 point 'dogs this weekend unless Manning & Co. are seeing very limited action. What are you hearing locally?

635116[/snapback]

I think several things written in this thread are true. Colts will most likely be resting several guys, including G Rick DeMulling, TE Marcus Pollard, LB Rob Morris, CB Nick Harper, and CB Joseph Jefferson.

Right now, Dungy is saying all the right things. But I do think that they will rest several more guys. I'm not sure Edge plays. Manning will definitely start, but I don't see him playing long. Other than that, I'm not sure what will happen yet.

On Wednesday, Colts players said Dungy hadn’t indicated to them how long they will play against the Broncos.

“I’m good with whatever Coach Dungy wants to do,” Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said. “He said he wants to go up there and play to get a win, and that’s all he kind of told us today. He didn’t give us a lot of details or anything like that.

“He just said we’re going to have a normal week of practice as far as preparation and to go up there and try to get a win.

“He makes the calls and I’m all for it.” . . .

Although the game is unimportant to the Colts’ playoff position, Dungy said this week he didn’t anticipate treating it as a preseason game, in which starters and key offensive and defensive players play a series or two before leaving the game. Dungy said it’s unlikely any players with injuries will see extensive action, and he also said if he believed the Colts’ first-round game would be Saturday that that might influence him to rest players early.

Colts players Wednesday said they didn’t know how long they would play Sunday, but backup quarterback Jim Sorgi said he expected to play at some point.

“The approach is we’re going to go in to play to win,” Colts wide receiver Brandon Stokley said. “How long we play — who knows? That’s going to be up to Coach Dungy. We’ll go in there and play until they pull us out.

“It is a different game. What you have to guard against is letting it affect practice and coming in with a mindset where you’re not really focused on going in and winning. Because that’s when guys get hurt. We don’t want that to happen.”

Said Reagor, “We’ve just got to stay the course. We’re going in to win the ball game. We want to keep the momentum. We don’t want to go in there and lay an egg. Then, everybody’s down going into next week. We may have to play those guys back to back. You have to go in and play well.

“We’re going to do what we’ve got to do to get a win and see what the outcome is. Let the chips fall where they may.”

link

On Wednesday, Colts players said Dungy hadn’t indicated to them how long they  will play against the Broncos.

“I’m good with whatever Coach Dungy wants to do,” Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said. “He said he wants to go up there and play to get a win, and that’s all he kind of told us today. He didn’t give us a lot of details or anything like that.

“He just said we’re going to have a normal week of practice as far as preparation and to go up there and try to get a win.

“He makes the calls and I’m all for it.” . . .

Although the game is unimportant to the Colts’ playoff position, Dungy said this week he didn’t anticipate treating it as a preseason game, in which starters and key offensive and defensive players play a series or two before leaving the game. Dungy said it’s unlikely any players with injuries will see extensive action, and he also said if he believed the Colts’ first-round game would be Saturday that that might influence him to rest players early.

Colts players Wednesday said they didn’t know how long they would play Sunday, but backup quarterback Jim Sorgi said he expected to play at some point.

“The approach is we’re going to go in to play to win,” Colts wide receiver Brandon Stokley said. “How long we play — who knows? That’s going to be up to Coach Dungy. We’ll go in there and play until they pull us out.

“It is a different game. What you have to guard against is letting it affect practice and coming in with a mindset where you’re not really focused on going in and winning. Because that’s when guys get hurt. We don’t want that to happen.”

Said Reagor, “We’ve just got to stay the course. We’re going in to win the ball game. We want to keep the momentum. We don’t want to go in there and lay an egg. Then, everybody’s down going into next week. We may have to play those guys back to back. You have to go in and play well.

“We’re going to do what we’ve got to do to get a win and see what the outcome is. Let the chips fall where they may.”

link

635767[/snapback]

An exact copy of what you hear in Charger world. I doubt either team plays their starters all the way through if, especially if the game starts to get ugly!

Why would the Colts expose their D-end stars to the cut tactics of the Broncos with the playoffs starting next week.

I look for both Indy and the Chargers to approach this game like the last preseason game. 1 to 1 1/2 quarters of starters and poof, fill-ins. Do just enough and have just enough success to "feel good" about the showing! The Colts are generally less efficient as the game goes on, so why show the Broncos that if they might play next week?