[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts to play starters against Denver

CaptainHook

link

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy didn't offer his game plan for discussion Monday, but he was clear about his objective.

"We're going out there to win," said Dungy, whose Colts (12-3) close the regular season Sunday at Denver (9-6). "I would like to win No. 13. We'd like to go (into the playoffs) with a nine-game winning streak. There are a lot of things that we want to do in terms of keeping that momentum and continuing to be sharp."

Dungy didn't say his starters would play into the fourth quarter, but he made it apparent that the game will not be a two-series shakedown for his No. 1 units.

It's quarterback Peyton Manning's preference to play against the Broncos.

"I'd like to keep our momentum going, so I'd like to go up to Denver and play and try to stay hot and try to get a win," he said during a halftime interview on ABC's "Monday Night Football" game between St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Manning recalled the 1999 season when the Colts, 13-2 and with a first-round bye wrapped up, took an 11-game winning streak to Buffalo. They lost 31-6, then fell to Tennessee 19-16 two weeks later in the playoffs.

"I think our momentum sort of died up there in Buffalo," Manning said. "I would like to keep this winning streak (of eight) alive."

The Colts locked up the AFC's No. 3 seed Sunday with a 34-31 overtime victory over San Diego.

What matters to Dungy is whether they play their wild-card playoff game with the No. 6 seed on Jan. 8 or 9. The NFL will announce pairings and schedules after qualifiers are determined by this weekend's games.

"From our past history, the last couple of years, I think it depends on when the Jets are going to be able to play," he said. "I would say if we end up playing the Jets, I'm pretty sure we'll play on Sunday."

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why risk injury to anyone? Why give the Broncos film study of any of your plays against them? Who would you rather play, streaky Denver or streaking Buffalo? Treat it like a bye week. Rest everyone. Show nothing.

Edited by CaptainHook

Manning addressed it last night and made a good point. They may play the Broncos in the playoffs. Play your players and send a message. This player benching stuff is a disgrace anyhow. It completely ruins games that could have major playoff implications, last night being a perfect example.

link

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy didn't offer his game plan for discussion Monday, but he was clear about his objective.

"We're going out there to win," said Dungy, whose Colts (12-3) close the regular season Sunday at Denver (9-6). "I would like to win No. 13. We'd like to go (into the playoffs) with a nine-game winning streak. There are a lot of things that we want to do in terms of keeping that momentum and continuing to be sharp."

Dungy didn't say his starters would play into the fourth quarter, but he made it apparent that the game will not be a two-series shakedown for his No. 1 units.

It's quarterback Peyton Manning's preference to play against the Broncos.

"I'd like to keep our momentum going, so I'd like to go up to Denver and play and try to stay hot and try to get a win," he said during a halftime interview on ABC's "Monday Night Football" game between St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Manning recalled the 1999 season when the Colts, 13-2 and with a first-round bye wrapped up, took an 11-game winning streak to Buffalo. They lost 31-6, then fell to Tennessee 19-16 two weeks later in the playoffs.

"I think our momentum sort of died up there in Buffalo," Manning said. "I would like to keep this winning streak (of eight) alive."

The Colts locked up the AFC's No. 3 seed Sunday with a 34-31 overtime victory over San Diego.

What matters to Dungy is whether they play their wild-card playoff game with the No. 6 seed on Jan. 8 or 9. The NFL will announce pairings and schedules after qualifiers are determined by this weekend's games.

"From our past history, the last couple of years, I think it depends on when the Jets are going to be able to play," he said. "I would say if we end up playing the Jets, I'm pretty sure we'll play on Sunday."

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why risk injury to anyone?  Why give the Broncos film study of any of your plays against them?  Who would you rather play, streaky Denver or streaking Buffalo?  Treat it like a bye week.  Rest everyone.  Show nothing.

634226[/snapback]

I agree with the injury comment, but I bet Indy runs very base formations, to your film study point.

That's a bunch of bullsh*t. What does a 13 win season get him? Nothing.

634242[/snapback]

Some announcer, ESPN personality, or someone on a message board can relate how Dungy's best season as a coach was during Peyton's TD season record.

Not taking anything away from Dungy.

Edited by WaterMan

Some announcer, ESPN personality, or someone on a message board can relate how Dungy's best season as a coach was during Peyton's TD season record.

Not taking anything away from Dungy.

634250[/snapback]

I'm not questioning that someone said it, I'm just pretty confident that it isn't Dungy's reason.

This whole issue of whether or not to play your starters in a meaningless regular season game has been discussed before, but I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I understand and agree with the philosophy of playing to win regular season games. Every team wants to win and have momentum going into the playoffs, but what if someone like Peyton or LT or Brady goes down in the last game before the playoffs and then can't play? Wouldn't we all fry the coach's a$$ for being stupid and exposing an impact player to harm? Maybe it IS better to rest an impact player before the playoffs. :D

this is coachspeak, he can't say that he is going to lay down. he can't say this game is meaningless. i doubt we see much of edge with past injuries. Manning might play the whole game, he barely gets hit and dungy might let him build on his record. Manning would have a hissy fit if he gets pulled early i imagine.

but i'm sure indy would rather play DEN rather than BAL who gave them fits a couple of weeks ago. coach won't say it like it is, just like philly laying down.

Yeah I believe Manning's reason about staying hot going into the playoffs.

634287[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right. I mean it has to be because he's arrogant and selfish and just wants to pad his stats some more. I mean it's not like he's really just a fierce competitor that loves to play football and wants to win. Why doesn't he just let their backup (whatever his name is) get some PT? Man, what a selfish a-hole. Waterman, you seem to know Dungy & Manning better than anyone in the world. You should write a book about them.....really.

Yeah, you're right.  I mean it has to be because he's arrogant and selfish and just wants to pad his stats some more.  I mean it's not like he's really just a fierce competitor that loves to play football and wants to win.  Why doesn't he just let their backup (whatever his name is) get some PT?  Man, what a selfish a-hole.  Waterman, you seem to know Dungy & Manning better than anyone in the world.  You should write a book about them.....really.

634502[/snapback]

That's nice but I'm not bashing either Manning or Dungy in this thread.

Edited by WaterMan

I think the 96 Broncos were leading teh season in wins, and rested all their starters in the final week, only to get booted by Jacksonville in the 2nd rd (their first game).

That's a reason for some teams to not let up, especially when you have to stay sharp if you plan on going through NE or Pitt to make Superbowl.

Pad his stats? If he wanted to do that, he would have tried scoring against Blt or tried passing in that 1st series against SD. People are going to want to slag on Manning STILL for some reason, finding new reasons when their old ones don't pan out.

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

I think the 96 Broncos were leading teh season in wins, and rested all their starters in the final week, only to get booted by Jacksonville in the 2nd rd (their first game).

634564[/snapback]

The 96 Broncos basically rested their starters for the last month of the 1996 season as they had home-field wrapped up.

They rested their starters for the last week of last year (to the consternation of the Vikings).

In both cases, they lost their first playoff game.

I am a huge Denver fan and fighting of rfirst palce and the points lead in our league... currently in first place by 33 points the team that is in seocnd has Manning as his main stud.. As a football fanatic, I think it is huge mistake to rest players... i.e. Denvers 96 againstr Jax... You spend so much time getting your "rythum" and getting into "football" shape it is hard to turn it off then on... but from a fantasy standpoint, I will be at Invesco cheering on both of my teams, the Broncos and the Sharks!

It is a fine line between worrying about your player(s) getting injured and having them get a bit rusty. Martz acted as if he just toppled the #1 team in the NFC and forgot the fact that he was playing against an Eagles team that was sitting quite a few of it's players. But since I have not paid much attention to his press conferences, maybe he just looks smug all the time.

Some of the people that will blast the coach for losing their first playoff game because the starters seemed to be "rusty" will blast the coach if someone gets hurt in a regular season game "with no meaning".

All Dungy has really said is that they will work on correcting mistakes they made in the San Diego game, work hard on a game plan to win the game, get his starters out there and see how it goes. Now, he also mentions that, if by game-time, that the playoff picture has solidified enough, he would also take into account what the chances are they will have to play on Saturday vs. Sunday in regards to his plans for playing time.

So it appears Dungy is playing to win the game and will do it by starting his starters. But we'll just have to wait and see what actually ends up happening as my obsession mentions. It is all talk now, but Dungy has mentioned a few things that could affect his plan for playing time for the starters, a many things he has not mentioned.

I will certainly be very interested to see the game, I am playing against Manning this week.

I looked to see if there was a possibility that Denver may not play full out the entire game, but I see that Jacksonville plays at the same time, so they have to play to win (of course, that is assuming that Buffalo or Baltimore lose their early games).

Edited by Gunther