[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eli Manning shows promise

CaptainHook

I'm not sure how the strength of schedule tie-breakers go for the draft, but the Giants first round pick could be anywhere from #4 (with a Giants loss) to #12 (with a Giants win). I'm sure the Chargers are interested in how this turns out!

Edited by CaptainHook

Who did?  Tiki?  Yeah, I saw that....

640056[/snapback]

C'mon now, give the kid some credit:

1-10-NYG34 (1:41) (Shotgun) E.Manning pass to T.Barber to DAL 43 for 23 yards (T.Dixon).

1-10-DAL18 (1:09) E.Manning pass to M.Rivers to DAL 13 for 5 yards (D.Coakley).

The first pass was under HEAVY pressure. And it looked like Manning audibled on the game winning play.

Seriously though, Eli played well enough tonight, but that last drive was all Tiki.

640080[/snapback]

Ya, I liked the couple of passes he completed, one to himself and the other to Rivers. That audible Tiki called at the 4 was pretty selfish though. He could have handed off to someone else.

Ya, I liked the couple of passes he completed, one to himself and the other to Rivers. That audible Tiki called at the 4 was pretty selfish though. He could have handed off to someone else.

640093[/snapback]

Did you even watch the last drive? For a so-called finesse back, Tiki was running people over and carrying people on that last drive.

Eli was 2 for 2 for 28 yards. 23 of those yards came on a pass play to Tiki that was almost all Tiki...he also had 4 rushes for 23 yards and the game winning TD. If you're keeping track, that's 46 out of 51 yards on the final drive that were accounted for by Tiki Barber (and another 15 yards came on a penalty). Eli even said it was all Tiki in his interview.

Eli played pretty well tonight, particularly considering his top 2 weapons (if you can even call them that) were both inactive for the game. It was great to see him get his first win, but don't get carried away, and definitely give Tiki the credit he deserves. Also, how do you know that last play was actually an audible? Many times a QB will fake an audible to try and throw the opposing team's defense off.

Edited by Skrappy1

Did you even watch the last drive? For a so-called finesse back, Tiki was running people over and carrying people on that last drive.

Eli was 2 for 2 for 28 yards.  23 of those yards came on a pass play to Tiki that was all Tiki...he also had 4 rushes for 23 yards and the game winning TD.  If you're keeping track, that's 46 out of 51 yards on the final drive that were accounted for by Tiki Barber (and another 15 yards came on a penalty).  Eli even said it was all Tiki in his interview. 

Eli played pretty well tonight, particularly considering his top 2 weapons (if you can even call them that) were both inactive for the game.  It was great to see him get his first win, but don't get carried away, and definitely give Tiki the credit he deserves.  Also, how do you know that last play was actually an audible?  Many times a QB will fake an audible to try and throw the opposing team's defense off.

640103[/snapback]

What I wrote was more of a joke than anything else but, since you put it that way, nobody does it all!!! There are 10 other people out there with him, or maybe you missed that. 46 out of 51 yds? Nobody had anything else to do with it right? Like I said, Tiki completed to Tiki, Tiki audibled and handed off to Tiki, Tiki took out the DT and LB and walked in for the TD. Give credit where credit is due? You need to do the same.

And yes Eli could have faked the audible to throw the D off which would go to his credit, but I assume Tiki told him to.

Edited to answer your last sentence.

Edited by jgcoach

What I wrote was more of a joke than anything else but, since you put it that way, nobody does it all!!! 

Of course not.

There are 10 other people out there with him, or maybe you missed that.

I must have, are you certain of that? :D

46 out of 51 yds? Nobody had anything else to do with it right? Like I said, Tiki completed to Tiki, Tiki audibled and handed off to Tiki, Tiki took out the DT and LB and walked in for the TD.

Tiki had the ball in his hands while 46 of the 51 yards were driven...generally that is what is important. But you are right, Eli did a fantastic job of handing off to him. :D Of course there were lineman on the field and they did their jobs, but there were no outstanding blocks that I noticed...Tiki was running right up the gut and plowing through people.

Give credit where credit is due? You need to do the same.

I have no problem saying that Eli played pretty well tonight, I was merely pointing out that Tiki was the primary force behind that last drive.

And yes Eli could have faked the audible to throw the D off which would go to his credit, but I assume Tiki told him to. 

I'm assuming that was the coaching staff if it was indeed a fake. But I didn't see Tom Couglin carrying the ball at all tonight, perhaps I missed that as well.

If it was indeed an audible, and if it was Eli who actually saw the weakness in the defense and called the audible, then by all mean he gets great kudos for that. Still, the fact remains that it was Tiki who ran it in...great play calls don't always work out, someone still has to execute them.

Edited by Skrappy1

Tiki had the ball in his hands while 46 of the 51 yards were driven...generally that is what is important.

I will concede this point, which also means that there are no NFL QB's that are really factors in their teams drives. With the exception of Vick who carries the ball almost as much as he throws. :D

I will concede this point, which also means that there are no NFL QB's that are really factors in their teams drives.

I'm sure that you are being sarcastic, but again I think you've missed my point entirely. Of course QBs are often extremely important in their team's drives. A 66 yard drive in which only 28 yards came from passing (and most of them on yards coming from a run after the catch by the RB) just isn't one of those cases.

Edited by Skrappy1

Huh. It will be interesting to see if, long term, the Giants did better by packing it in this season when they were in the playoff hunt (back at 5-4) to develop Eli than the Chargers who kept Phillip Rivers on the bench and rode Brees to the playoffs.

Always an interesting call ... win now or pack it in to prep for later -- you just don't often see a team with a winning record and holding a playoff birth worthy standing do it ... that took organizational fortitude ...

You know, some people must REALLY HATE Eli, because this is ht efirst time I've ever heard someone say it wasn't the QB that engineered the game winning drive, regardless of who touched the ball.

Huh.  It will be interesting to see if, long term, the Giants did better by packing it in this season when they were in the playoff hunt (back at 5-4) to develop Eli than the Chargers who kept Phillip Rivers on the bench and rode Brees to the playoffs.

Always an interesting call ... win now or pack it in to prep for later -- you just don't often see a team with a winning record and holding a playoff birth worthy standing do it ... that took organizational fortitude ...

640167[/snapback]

Absolutely, that has been the main debate around these parts the better part of the last two months. Many people are killing Coughlin for that decision right now, but come next season I suspect they'll be thinking it was the right move. The Giants lost a lot of players to injury (especially on defense) and I think that Coughlin knew their season was going down the drain. Even if he had left Warner in, I think they maybe win another game or two at best. If they managed to squeak into the playoffs at all, they surely would've been knocked out right away, so I think it was a good move to get Eli the experience this year. From someone who has watched all the Giant games this season, I will say that he looked much better the last couple of weeks. Hopefully he can carry that into next season.

You know, some people must REALLY HATE Eli, because this is ht efirst time I've ever heard someone say it wasn't the QB that engineered the game winning drive, regardless of who touched the ball.

640225[/snapback]

Did you watch the game? If not read this....

Eli was 2 for 2 for 28 yards. 23 of those yards came on a pass play to Tiki that was almost all Tiki...he also had 4 rushes for 23 yards and the game winning TD. If you're keeping track, that's 46 out of 51 yards on the final drive that were accounted for by Tiki Barber (and another 15 yards came on a penalty). Eli even said it was all Tiki in his interview.

All they did was keep running the draw play with Tiki. The Cowboys couldn't stop it. Eli sure did engineer that drive. :D

WaterMan, you are so stupid it is amazing. On the first pass play, Eli hung in under heavy pressure, and got the ball off to Tiki as he was being sacked. Was that all Tiki?

He completed a 5 yard pass to Rivers in the drive.

It appeared he called an audible on the game winning running play.

Edited by CaptainHook

If Eli didn't throw the ball, how would Tiki of caught it?

640686[/snapback]

You mean if Eli didn't dump the ball off to Tiki, in the Giants simplified offense. :D

They probably would have ran the draw 3 more times, since that's was all they were doing on that drive, might have even had the TD sooner.