[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pete Carroll to the 49ers?

pseudolefty

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Just a tidbit in the daily rumor mill, but this site has published things in the past that quickly went from rumor or food-for-thought to reality.

Wouldn't that be something if Carroll went to the 49ers and drafted Leinart with the 1st pick? Yeah, Leinart hasn't declared yet, but what more does he have to prove after winning back-to-back national championships, a Heisman trophy, and Orange Bowl MVP?

Carol was on WEEI in Boston this morning.

He said that there was no way he was going to the pros.

He has too much of a good thing going at USC.

After his flop in NE, I think he is suited for the ra ra college atmosphere.

He also wanted to win the national title 3 yrs in a row, something I thought they mentioned hadn't been done before.

Someone asked Mort about this topic this morning in chat. He didn't say much, other than it would be interesting.

Question: Are Erickson and Donahue fired today? What about Pete Carroll in San Franciso?

Chris Mortensen: (11:18 AM ET ) There are expectations that one or both will be fired today, but we don't know yet. Pete Carroll is interesting. He's a Bay Area guy, he's been an assistant in San Fran...and he had more success in the NFL than anyone seems to want to remember (2 playoff appearances). The only way Carroll would consider it is if he got a Saban-like deal - big money with control, and I don't see the 49ers doing that....although I think it would be a pretty good move.

Question: Good Day Mort. What about Norm Chow and Matt Leinart for the Niners? Or will the opportunity for a three-peat prove to tempting? Thanks.

Chris Mortensen: (11:36 AM ET ) Yeah, that would be pretty interesting, if the 49ers actually took a big swing at pete Carroll, who then brings along Chow.... would Leinart be their first pick? I don't know, but it's a fair assumption. Leinart sounds like a guy seriously thinking about a return to USC. Regardless of the wisdom of turning pro to captialize while you're hot, it's hard to criticize a guy who wants to savor every moment of a college career. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Edited by Jo

Carol was on WEEI in Boston this morning.

He said that there was no way he was going to the pros.

He has too much of a good thing going at USC.

After his flop in NE, I think he is suited for the ra ra college atmosphere.

He also wanted to win the national title 3 yrs in a row, something I thought they mentioned hadn't been done before.

643330[/snapback]

I agree. I hope he stays. He looks happy and is doing well there.

ESPN radio had a report from SoCal this morning that said Carroll couldn't be happier than he is at USC and that it would be THE biggest upset of the year if he left for the pros. He is staying where he is at....

I'm not so sure that anybody in a halfway decent Coaching situation, would have any interest what so ever, in working for York and the 49er's.

That leads me to believe York will only be able get the not so good Coach/GM prospects/canidates, which of course, along with Yorks well known cheapness, will only ensure the 49er's remain amongst the NFL bottom feeders.

As an owner he absolutely sucks. :D

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Just a tidbit in the daily rumor mill, but this site has published things in the past that quickly went from rumor or food-for-thought to reality.

Wouldn't that be something if Carroll went to the 49ers and drafted Leinart with the 1st pick?  Yeah, Leinart hasn't declared yet, but what more does he have to prove after winning back-to-back national championships, a Heisman trophy, and Orange Bowl MVP?

643326[/snapback]

You are partially right: this site operates under the 'throw enough and it will stick' philosophy: it reports SO MANY things, rumors from parking lot attendents, great ideas you come up with on the can but have no chance in real life that SOME of their 'rumors' do come true, but their rate is less than 1% they reoprt so much garbage....

IMO, he'd have to be insane or stupid to leave. He's got a great program, plenty of money and lots of success there. His Patriots experience should be enough to remind him why he moved to college coaching. He was terrible here. His stint in NE included Terry Glenn hiding in the closet, etc. Those were some dark times. :D