[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gieger out at Ohio State

GOB1

As much as it hurts, its better to clean house as quickly as possible vs. a slow bleed. If something like this happened to USC, I'd hate it, but would want it done this way. Investigate fast and thouroughly, and let the chips fall where they may, so the clean ones can get on with it...

I could see Tressel possibly getting fired if the new AD comes in and lays down the law, with or without Tressel OSU football will still be great. I do not see any scenario that involves any sactions other that a few scholarships being revoked , and that's about it. But i doubt any of this even happens, i think it'll end with Geiger as he was the one that opened the can of worms with Clarrett and the NCAA has more on the basketball program anyways. So long as they are bowl eligible i be happy, a few scholarships here or there will not affect the program.

This is terrible timing for OSU. There goes this year's recruiting class. The two California kids, Bemoll and Williams are probably going to decommit. These are two big time commitments. The Worthington kid out of NJ will probably follow. Can you say SMU?

This is terrible timing for OSU.  There goes this year's recruiting class.  The two California kids, Bemoll and Williams are probably going to decommit.  These are two big time commitments. The Worthington kid out of NJ will probably follow.  Can you say SMU?

643857[/snapback]

Hold on there Sparky!!!!! Geiger left on his own and this has been something that has been coming for awhile. Ohio State has been under investigation for over a friggin year..Where's the smoking gun!!!! Long way to go before a SMU situation. Tressel in my believe is safe as that national cahmpionship trophy is that USC just picked up. I'm hopeing Archie gets the job...and takes OSU basketball and Football back to where it belongs as one of the Nation's elite programs. I don't suspect we will lose any recruits and if we do...we do...Ohio always has enough talent to replace recruits since over 85% of the team hails from OHIO I'm not worried, tell me we was losing Alex Boone I might be worried...lol..This kid is going to be the next Orlando Pace...I can't wait to see him in Scarlet and Gray he is so excited to be a Buckeye that he petitioned St. Ed's to let him graduate early so he could partake in spring pratice. He has enough credits to do this but St. Ed's does not allow this for any of their players. Tressel will be around especially if Archie takes the job. Archie believes in Tress..sooo be aware OSU will be back and wicked strong next year. IN TRESS WE TRUST!!!!!!!! also in GINN we trust.

I'm hopeing Archie gets the job...and takes OSU basketball and Football back to where it belongs as one of the Nation's elite programs.

643986[/snapback]

It's been quite a while (if ever) that the basketball program was considered one of the nation's elite...Can't let that one slip by..

It's been quite a while (if ever) that the basketball program was considered one of the nation's elite...Can't let that one slip by..

644155[/snapback]

Do a little research before you try the "if ever" remark.

Ohio State won the tournament in 1960 and was runner-up in '39 (the first ever tournament), '61 & '62. At the time of their 4th apperance in the title game in 1962, the Buckeyes tied Kentucky & Kansas for the most appearances by any school.

Ohio State also made the final four in '44, '45, '46, & '68, before finally making it back in '99.

That is eight final four appearances in 30 years. During the 9 years from 1960-1968, there were four final four apperances, including a championship and 2 runner-up finishes. This should definitely qualify a team as elite, no?

For reference, during the past 9 years only Kentucky (3), Connecticut (2), and Duke (2) have made the final game more than once. And only Kentucky (3), Duke (3), North Carolina (3), Syracuse (2), Arizona (2), and Michigan State (2) have made the final four more than once.

The Buckeyes also have been Big Ten champions 17 times.

And in the late 80's and early 90's, the Jim Jackson teams were pretty strong, although never making the final four.

Admittedly it's been a while, but Ohio State has was definitely an elite program (if not the elite program) in the 40's and 60's.

Michael Redd and Scoonie Penn had even better teams, IMO.

644409[/snapback]

You could think that, but you'd be wrong.

Jackson played 3 years from 1989-90 to 1991-92. The Buckeyes were 17-13 his freshman year, 27-4 his sophomore year, and 26-6 his junior year. That is 10 losses in 2 years.

Penn played 2 years from 1998-99 to 1999-00. Redd played the same 2 years plus so to compare with Jackson I will use the 3 year totals. Although if you want to omit Jackson's freshman year and Redd's freshman year, the JJ teams were still better.

Redd played 3 years from 1997-98 to 1999-00. The Buckeyes were 8-22 his freshman year, 27-9 his sophomore year, and 23-8 his junior year. They had a great run in the tournament, which is important, but over the course of the season they weren't quite as good.

Edited by KevinL