[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John Abraham

broncosn05

Watched a lot as ESPN as usual today. The main thing that keep talking about is John Abraham's injury and if he really can play. One is saying that he will be remembered as the guy who left the team when they had the chance and a selfish guy only caring about the money (But what guy isn't). I think this is rediculous to ridicule a guy just for caring about his health. If he's ready he'll play why do they feel they can make the decision??

Any thoughts?

I could not agree more. A sprained knee is no joke! If you were on the brink of a MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR contract, would you go out and play and risk a worse injury, even if the chances were small? Heck no. If he was healthy, he'd be playing.

Edited by CaptainHook

Would this be the same degree of sprain that keeps most guys on the bench for 3-5 weeks? How long has Abraham been out?

My feeling is that if he's only ~ 75% at this point, he's not going to be an effective pass rusher. So, what's the point?

Edited by Bill Swerski

Unfortunately money nowdays is a much bigger factor in how players play the game. Back in the day there's no way anyone would sit with this kind of an injury because they considered it a privelidge just to be on the field. Nowdays there's much more at stake so you can't really blame anyone for protecting their best interests over the team however unfortunate it may be.

I think he's a tough mother when he plays which I really can't remember. Even if he plays 4 games though he'll get 6-7 sacks if he's healthy. But an end like that is more to a team he is a threat as Julius Peppers is fast and big. He can sack the QB and the very next play run a pick in for a TD.

But I've never seen him injured before but who watches if a NYJ end is injury prone??

Eddie Barton you are a dumb dude!!

Watched a lot as ESPN as usual today.  The main thing that keep talking about is John Abraham's injury and if he really can play.  One is saying that he will be remembered as the guy who left the team when they had the chance and a selfish guy only caring about the money (But what guy isn't).  I think this is rediculous to ridicule a guy just for caring about his health.  If he's ready he'll play why do they feel they can make the decision??

Any thoughts?

652164[/snapback]

I'm going to dissent on this one.

Didn't Youngblood play with a broken leg?

Emmit Smith battling through injury?

Remember the clips of Leftwich playing a college game with a busted up leg by being carried up the field by his OLinemen??

Schilling's bloody sock?

Abraham's primary focus, through his own words not to mention his actions, is clearly on prepping to sign a contract in the off season -- not on winning anything this year. Is that understandable given the size of the money. Understandable? Probably, given a current understanding of pro athletes. What his agent, attorney, and posse would advise? Yep. What fans would like to see? Nope. What teammates would like to see? Nope. Hmmmm. I think he's gotten bad advice on how to explain all this publicly ... leaving fans like me to say "Take the money, John. You'll always know in your heart you didn't give your all for your teammates this season ... and when you're 75 and your grandkids ask you about how you played, you'll get to tell them about the glory of the contract -- not the glory of the game -- and maybe then, you'll see the difference."

I get the feeling that he is healthy enough to play but didn't want to risk playing on a sloppy field last week. He was nervous about the possibility of re-injuring himself due to the poor field conditions.

Given that he has been cleared by the doctors to play his ass should be on the field playing.

I understand his concern about blowing out his knee and impacting a potential big payday ... but right now he is a Jet and he could be making a contribution to his current team.

I'd say if he is putting himself in front of the team perhaps he should be willing to go home now and turn down any future game checks from the Jets and if the Jets win the SB he should not get a ring.

As a Jets fan, I've been following this story pretty closely.

Abraham was downgraded last Thursday from Probable to Questionable after not looking good in practice. He is a speed rusher, and was still having trouble accelerating off the line of scrimmage. At that time, Coach Edwards said he would be a game-time decision. But, it was pretty widely known that he wouldn't play because he still wasn't effective in practice.

Where the controversy arose was when Abraham spoke to a reporter and said something like he had to think about his future, not just this one game. Everyone took that to mean he felt his contract is more important than winning. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If the Coach was saying he's ready to play and Abraham was saying no, that's one thing - but Edwards had already downgraded him during the week.

I don't know if he'll play this week or not. But in any case, Bryan Thomas has been playing great in his absence. Thomas is actually better against the run, and is a decent enough pass rusher that teams haven't been able to blindly double team Shaun Ellis on every passing play. And, by mixing in some more blitz packages, the Jets pass rush hasn't suffered that much without Abraham. Even if he does play, it'll only be in obvious passing situations. And, as a Jets fan, I don't want him out there unless he's close to 100%.

I'd like to see the Jets franchise Abraham this off season and give him one more year to see if he can stay healthy before giving him a big long-term contract.

Abraham's primary focus, through his own words not to mention his actions, is clearly on prepping to sign a contract in the off season -- not on winning anything this year.

652344[/snapback]

This is exactly how I feel. The fact that he is a free agent and could potentially sign a big contract should not factor into his decission about playing this year. If he can't go, he can't go... no problem, but to say he doesn't want to risk further injury because of the potential contract is selfish. How many other Jets are playing hurt this week? How many other FAs are playing hurt this week on any team?

This is a tough one to assess because noone knows exactly how the guy is feeling. I agree wholeheartedly with steeler that if he's ready to go then he's gotta' get out there. That's why the Jets paid him however many millions of dollars for this season - so he could play when he's capable. But it's impossible for any of us to sit here and say that he is or isn't ready to play. I think Abraham probably did himself a disservice from a PR standpoint with his public comments, but on the other hand Herman Edwards has been extremely supportive of Abraham throughout this and continues to be so. Edwards has more or less taken Abraham off the hook this week by saying that it'll be his (Edwards') decision as to whether or not Abraham plays against the Steelers.

I think that Abraham's position as a pass-rushing defensive end is one that is tougher to play at 75% than perhaps some other positions, but that's pure speculation on my part. And while I agree with Vet that Bryan Thomas has played very well in Abraham's absence, I also think that if Abraham can drag himself out there, he'll get alot more attention and double teams than Thomas does, which should result in more production from the rest of the D-line, so while Abraham himself might be no better than Thomas at this point, his presence would help the defense as a whole.

As a Jets fan, I've been following this story pretty closely.

Abraham was downgraded last Thursday from Probable to Questionable after not looking good in practice.   He is a speed rusher, and was still having trouble accelerating off the line of scrimmage.  At that time, Coach Edwards said he would be a game-time decision.  But, it was pretty widely known that he wouldn't play because he still wasn't effective in practice.

Where the controversy arose was when Abraham spoke to a reporter and said something like he had to think about his future, not just this one game.  Everyone took that to mean he felt his contract is more important than winning.  Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal.  If the Coach was saying he's ready to play and Abraham was saying no, that's one thing - but Edwards had already downgraded him during the week.

I don't know if he'll play this week or not.  But in any case, Bryan Thomas has been playing great in his absence.  Thomas is actually better against the run, and is a decent enough pass rusher that teams haven't been able to blindly double team Shaun Ellis on every passing play.  And, by mixing in some more blitz packages, the Jets pass rush hasn't suffered that much without Abraham.  Even if he does play, it'll only be in obvious passing situations.  And, as a Jets fan, I don't want him out there unless he's close to 100%.

I'd like to see the Jets franchise Abraham this off season and give him one more year to see if he can stay healthy before giving him a big long-term contract.

652446[/snapback]

I agree to a certain extent, but the blame lies with John. Abraham should never have intimated that he was trying to weigh the success of his team over his own personal gain. Had he just said, "I'm trying to do everything I can, but so far the knee isn't responding," Herm's words would have backed him up and any questions about free agency could have been dealt with, "next year is next year, this year is this year."

It's tough to criticize a guy for being too candid with the media, but I think that's exactly what Abraham was. The scrutiny he's under was brought on when he said he was essentially deciding between playing and money. At that point, his actual health became irrelevant because it appeared his interests lay elsewhere. Fair? No, not really, but the response shouldn't have been a surprise.

Vet obviously knows more about the situation than I do, but from what I've read, there is NO way John will be back with the Jets next year. It looks like he's burned bridges with everyone there and the Jets will probably want to franchise LaMont Jordan. Again, just what I've read.

Edited by Fatman

Schilling's bloody sock? 

652344[/snapback]

That was Ketchup !! :D .....JK

If the doctor's clear him...he should play or it should be considered a mutiny on the team.....I understand his 'personal' implications on risk of inury and his financial future....it's tough...but this is HIS LINE OF EMPLOYMENT....it's not like it is a spinal injury or he has a job as an accountant and an injury would interfere with that...

I think the damage done by his being a Rosie O'Donnell is far worse than the POTENTIAL damage that could be done to his knee and wallet....Everyone who plays takes that chance...

Abraham = :D

:DB):D

I agree to a certain extent, but the blame lies with John.  Abraham should never have intimated that he was trying to weigh the success of his team over his own personal gain.  Had he just said, "I'm trying to do everything I can, but so far the knee isn't responding," Herm's words would have backed him up and any questions about free agency could have been dealt with, "next year is next year, this year is this year."

It's tough to criticize a guy for being too candid with the media, but I think that's exactly what Abraham was.  The scrutiny he's under was brought on when he said he was essentially deciding between playing and money.  At that point, his actual health became irrelevant because it appeared his interests lay elsewhere.  Fair?  No, not really, but the response shouldn't have been a surprise.

Vet obviously knows more about the situation than I do, but from what I've read, there is NO way John will be back with the Jets next year.  It looks like he's burned bridges with everyone there and the Jets will probably want to franchise LaMont Jordan.  Again, just what I've read.

652543[/snapback]

No way do they franchise LaMont Jordan. When you franchise a player, you have to give him top-5 money at his position for one year, then he becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Jets are already paying Curtis Martin around $6 million (might even be more next year), so there is no way they can give Jordan top-5 money. That would be something like $12 million against the cap at the halfback position alone! Obviously, no team can afford to pay a back-up RB top-5 money.

So, unfortunately, Lamont has to go. He'll be good for Seattle or Oakland or Miami or whereever he ends up, and will probably be a good fantasy player next year.

Jets will have to draft a RB to play behind Martin for a couple of more years before taking over the reigns.