[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh's Defensive Effort Under-Appreciated:

Donutrun Jellies

All our chatter about the game has centered on Brien's misses (wow) and the three Pittsburgh turnovers. We need to praise the defensive effort a bit!

Only a couple of folks have pointed out that the defense only gave up three field goal tries while holding the RUSHING CHAMP OF THE NFL to only 77 yards -- nearly 30 below his season average (and it wasn't for use of Lamont, who has averaged 30 and got 30 yesterday) ... Plus, Pennington still only threw for 182 ...

All this chatter about Martin gaining more yards than Alexander, Edge, Ladanian, Dillon ... Bah. He got 77 and neither he nor Pennington could get them into the red zone, despite three turnovers by the Steeler offense and an extra try at it in the overtime ... THAT'S A FANTASTIC DEFENSIVE EFFORT.

It's true that Pittsburgh hasn't been able to tackle punt/kick returners for years. DANG!!!

It's true that no team can turn the ball over in the playoffs and win consistently. DANG!!!

SO LET'S ALL SAY THANK YOU TO THE PITTSBURGH DEFENSE!!! Which is the way it should be ... oh, and let's send Doug Brien a cookie, too. :D

I agree, thank you Steeler defense ! I must admit I was disappointing after the shovel pass TD, that the 'D' allowed the Jets to move down the field, but all is well that ends well !!!!!

Don't get too excited...It was the Jet's, a team almost as conservative as Pittsburgh. The talk was all about Brien because he LOST the game, the Steelers D did not win the game.

656613[/snapback]

The Steelers didn't win ? Than why am I planning a Steeler party for Sunday ? :D Thanks for the heads up Herdmaster, I would have been pretty embarassed having everyone over here for a Steeler party only to have the Steelers not play. I owe you one buddy !!!

Read the post again, the Steelers D did not win the game, Doug Brien lost it. Did the Steeler's block those field goal attempt's? No. Did they pick off a pass in the end zone? No. Fact of the matter is, if Brien does his job, your waking up this morning crying in your terrible towel, but he didn't...he choked, and your team survived, but I would'nt be real enthused about their performance.

Read the post again, the Steelers D did not win the game, Doug Brien lost it. Did the Steeler's block those field goal attempt's? No. Did they pick off a pass in the end zone? No. Fact of the matter is, if Brien does his job, your waking up this morning crying in your terrible towel, but he didn't...he choked, and your team survived, but I would'nt be real enthused about their performance.

656625[/snapback]

I'm getting over their lackluster performance by planning for the AFC Championship game.

Amongst all this patting on the back, celebratory jumping up and down, and partying a point has been made that got trampled in the translation.

The Pitt Def did a heck of a job, yes. Only 3 offensive points against it. Held Martin way under his average and didn't allow Pennington a lot of passing yardage. HOWEVER, they should have lost the game.... twice.

Pitt backed into that win. No matter how you cut it, they backed in. But that is football and to the victor goes the spoils and with it patting on the back, celebratory jumping up and down, and partying.

I bet Cowher isn't running around in everyones face saying how great his team is and how they had the Jets all the time but were just ...... blah blah..... He knows how lucky he was and that his Def let the Jets have a couple shots at winning the game.

No matter how you cut it... The Pitt Def allowed the Jets to win and the Jets blew it. Twice. And it doesn't matter that they only allowed 3 points.

(Disclaimer: I don't root for either team and could really have cared less who won yesterday.)

Amongst all this patting on the back, celebratory jumping up and down, and partying a point has been made that got trampled in the translation.

The Pitt Def did a heck of a job, yes. Only 3 offensive points against it. Held Martin way under his average and didn't allow Pennington a lot of passing yardage. HOWEVER, they should have lost the game.... twice.

Pitt backed into that win. No matter how you cut it, they backed in. But that is football and to the victor goes the spoils and with it patting on the back, celebratory jumping up and down, and partying.

I bet Cowher isn't running around in everyones face saying how great his team is and how they had the Jets all the time but were just ...... blah blah..... He knows how lucky he was and that his Def let the Jets have a couple shots at winning the game.

No matter how you cut it... The Pitt Def allowed the Jets to win and the Jets blew it. Twice. And it doesn't matter that they only allowed 3 points.

(Disclaimer: I don't root for either team and could really have cared less who won yesterday.)

656641[/snapback]

Yep. Pulled a rabbit out -- but nice job by the defense at least.

We've known the 15-1 thing was not a solid indicator of the true quality of this team -- non blind homers knew it back when they were 4-1 ... They've eeeked out a bunch this year and hit teams at great times and made the most of home field and played with heart ...

Are they a 15-1 team headed to the AFC championship game? Not in the true meaning of those words. Not dominating. Buuuuuuut, did they have a 15-1 season and do they find themselves in the AFC Championship game? Yep.

SOooooooo ... we get a lousy spot in the draft next year, but it's been a fun ride. If it continues, hallelujiah!!!!! If not, hey, it was fun.

For now, I'm a :D

656641[/snapback]

Don't make that bet. Cowher said the team played poorly in his press conference. Cowher is a stand-up guy, alwasy has been.

656641[/snapback]

I think you are overlooking the fact that the Steelers offense put the D in some pretty bad positions with the turnovers.

You could just as easily say that the Pitt O and ST allowed the Jets to be in position to win the game by turning the ball over three times and giving up two TDs - Brien's missed FGs are irrelevant if the Jets don't score those 14 points.

It's true that Pittsburgh hasn't been able to tackle punt/kick returners for years. 

656550[/snapback]

ST were a problem for the Steelers after Fred MacAfee went to the Saints. He was The Man on ST.

I miss him. Or I did until one Mr. Harrison arrived on the scene. Dude was amazing on ST this season, until he became a defensive starter due to injuries, and then was amazing on D. Kendrell who?

Don't make that bet.  Cowher said the team played poorly in his press conference.  Cowher is a stand-up guy, alwasy has been.

656768[/snapback]

?

I said I would bet that he ISN'T ... "I bet Cowher isn't running around in everyones face saying how great his team is..."

?

I said I would bet that he ISN'T ... "I bet Cowher isn't running around in everyones face saying how great his team is..."

656787[/snapback]

Oops. Sorry Sky.... my bad... :doah:

the Steelers D did not win the game, Doug Brien lost it. Did the Steeler's block those field goal attempt's? No. Did they pick off a pass in the end zone? No. Fact of the matter is, if Brien does his job, your waking up this morning crying in your terrible towel, but he didn't...he choked, and your team survived, but I would'nt be real enthused about their performance.

656625[/snapback]

...that his Def let the Jets have a couple shots at winning the game.

656641[/snapback]

(ditto on above disclaimer)

Blah, blah, blah. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. If, if, if. If Tongue isn't handed a gift wrapped INT the Steelers woulda gone in for another score. No way the Steelers shoulda let him take it all the way back for a score. The Steelers were in the redzone on 2 consecutive drives and coulda put the game away. The Jets scored on a punt return that shoulda been stopped for little gain and woulda been stopped if the Steelers ST hadn't over pursued. If Pennington and Martin had had better games the Jets woulda won.

Now doesn't that sound reasonable and intelligent? :D

Are they a 15-1 team headed to the AFC championship game?  Not in the true meaning of those words.  Not dominating.  Buuuuuuut, did they have a 15-1 season and do they find themselves in the AFC Championship game?  Yep. 

656759[/snapback]

Show me a team that's ever finished with a great record that didn't squeak by a couple times or maybe even deserve to lose a couple that they managed to pull out. Teams go 15-1 because they win games like the one yesterday.

By the way, I would like also like to respond to the original post. I agree. The Pittsburgh D did an oustanding job and that fact has, indeed, been overshadowed by the missed kicks.

as a pitt homer i was disgusted by the turnovers. the one by the bus came at a very inopportune time. the steelers won the game in the trenches most of the day however. when it counted in overtime, they pounded it down there throats and a dejected jets d (who could blame them with the missed kicks) could not respond. i'm not gloating over this win in any shape or form. we were very fortunate. i do think the steelers outperformed the jets in most aspects of this game. especially kicking. :D

As bad as the Steelers played the Jets should have won. However, they couldn't do it. Even thought the Jets got EVERY break in the game up to 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter... 2 to 1 TO margin (at that point in the game), defensive TD, special teams TD... they couldn't put more that 17 points on the board. For that the Jets deserved to lose... and they did.

Sure the Steelers dodged a couple Brien bullets, but they played good enough throughout the game to over come all the bad Athena that happened just to have the game tied in the 4th quarter which forced Brien to attempt those two long FGs to beat them, and I give the Steelers credit for that, they didn't fold after all the bad Athena and kept fighting. And it's not like those kicks were gimmies by any stretch of the imagination at Hienz field. The winds are very tricky and opposing teams have converted only 43% of their kicks over 40 yards. Home field advantage baby!

I understand momentum and all that... but after Brien missed the two FGs the score was still tied. Then the Steelers stopped the Jets on D and drove for the winning FG on O. The Steelers won and are moving on, and if they win next week this game wont be remember by anyone except bitter sore loser cry babies. Now, it's up to the Steelers to put this game behind them and win next week.

Edited by steeler

No doubt that was one terrific defensive outing for the Steelers. I'm not going to apologize for a win that was so close to being a loss because the fact is that good teams find ways to win games like this. I'm also very impressed with the two drives that ended in turnovers in the Jets red-zone. It sure looked to me that the Jets could not stop the Steelers.

The Steelers had control of that game but just kept finding a way to screw up.

:D congratulations steel boys, your D isn't the problem it's your wonder boy at QB who will take you down. he tried real hard yesterday but the jets have ZERO (0) offense next week will be different when they face a real offense wheteher its NE or indy. enjoy the off season. :D:DB)

signed,

the other side of PA

:D  congratulations steel boys, your D isn't the problem it's your wonder boy at QB who will take you down. he tried real hard yesterday but the jets have ZERO (0) offense next week will be different when they face a real offense wheteher its NE or indy. enjoy the off season.    :D  B)  :D

signed,

the other side of PA

656942[/snapback]

Thanks for saving me time. I was actually going to watch the game next weekend, but since you already told me what is going to happen, why bother ? So, our wonderboy QB is the problem. Is he the same wonderboy QB that is 15-0 and destroyed the Pats earlier this season ? Just checking... :D

Brien doesnt miss those 2 makable FGs, the Steelers go home.  Its as simple as that.  The Pitt D played good enough to win, but the offense and ST clearlygave this game away for Pittsuburgh.  Pitt fans can be thankful the steelers best ST player turned out to be the NY FG kicker.

656965[/snapback]

And if the Bus didn't fumble, and if Ben didn't theow those two INTs, and if this, and if that.....

A win or a loss can never be attributed to one or two plays.

Brien doesnt miss those 2 makable FGs, the Steelers go home.  Its as simple as that.  The Pitt D played good enough to win, but the offense and ST clearlygave this game away for Pittsuburgh.  Pitt fans can be thankful the steelers best ST player turned out to be the NY FG kicker.

656965[/snapback]

Good lord, how many of these posts are going to be made. You are right the Steelers are lucky, they lucked their way into a win, they actually shouldn't even have accepted the win, they should have asked the NFL to let the Jets move on. They might as well not even show up at Heinz next week, because they do not deserve it......... There, does everyone feel better now.

P.S. Sarge, this wasn't all directed towards you, but I've seen 100 of these posts today and it is getting annoying. A win is a win is a win is a win. If this and if that doesn't mean anything. A kicker is a part of the team, if he isn't good enough, find another one.

Sorry for the rant. :D

Difference is Pitt had nothing to do with those missed FGs, it was a choke job by Brien.  Ny forced the turnovers and should have won, but they didnt.  Regardless a win is a win.  Im not sure Pitt can beat either Indy or NE next week, so Congrats on getting to the AFC Champ game.

657069[/snapback]

So, should I even bother watching next week's game Sarge ? If you are saying that the Steelers don't have a chance against a Pats team they hammered earlier this year or the Colts, then maybe I shouldn't waste my time. Of course, I trusted you on the National Championship game and didn't watch that one. I still haven't seen any scores, I'm assuming Oklahoma rolled to victory, because that is what you called.

:D

P.S. :D

Edited by Menudo