[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now that Colts lost in the postseason again

Jackass

The word lately is that the Colts are not as determined to keep Edge as they once were. Owner Jim Irsay publicly stated several months ago that he had a plan to keep Marvin and Edge, but has not reinforced those statements of late. GM Polian has said repeatedly that he is not sure what will happen. If they decide to keep him, it will surely be with the franchise tag. I would say it is slightly less certain they will keep him, but the chances are still good.

The word lately is that the Colts are not as determined to keep Edge as they once were.  Owner Jim Irsay publicly stated several months ago that he had a plan to keep Marvin and Edge, but has not reinforced those statements of late.  GM Polian has said repeatedly that he is not sure what will happen.  If they decide to keep him, it will surely be with the franchise tag.  I would say it is slightly less certain they will keep him, but the chances are still good.

658932[/snapback]

Do they have the cap room to keep Edge, Captain? I guess the obvious answer is yes since they once made the comment they wanted to hold on to him.

I would think they'd look at what they and the Chiefs have been able to do without a D and spend that cap money on a D.

Franchise Edge and trade him for you can get. Get a draft pick or a moderate/cheap free agent in there, or just give the job to Rhodes. This team only needs an average D to improve itself.

I would think they'd look at what they and the Chiefs have been able to do without a D and spend that cap money on a D. 

Franchise Edge and trade him for you can get.  Get a draft pick or a moderate/cheap free agent in there, or just give the job to Rhodes.  This team only needs an average D to improve itself.

659203[/snapback]

Agreed, look what the Pats did with Ant. Smith. Freeney needs some help.

Any homeboys, or homers, have any opinions on the latest feeling on whether or not to keep Edge?  Or possibly change their thinking and devote more resources to their Defense.

658873[/snapback]

I am, oops i mean I was a huge fan of E. James. But after watching him play on Sunday, he was sooooo soft. Very disappointed in his lack of effort. Maybe i am way off, but if I was the Colts, I would tag him and trade him for either a high pick or a top notch LB or CB.

The word lately is that the Colts are not as determined to keep Edge as they once were.  Owner Jim Irsay publicly stated several months ago that he had a plan to keep Marvin and Edge, but has not reinforced those statements of late.

658932[/snapback]

I'm not really sure that his lack of "reinforcement" of that statement really means anything. Unless I missed something, I haven't seen any concrete evidence that Irsay has changed his position.

I agree that they franchise tag him for next season. This year's NFL draft is supposed to be somewhat RB-rich, but the Colts will probably not have a high enough pick to snag an impact player. Edge will be 28 at the end of next season and there's no reason to sign a 28-year-old back with a surgically-repaired knee to a four-year deal. Keeping him for one more year and then going to the draft would be the best strategy, IMO.

If they choose to either franchise tag/trade or flat-out release Edge, their remaining cap room would be best spent on either a run-stopping DT or a CB. That said, I have no idea if there will be any decent free agents at those respective positions.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Found an interesting article...

The Colts have a long list of potential free agents which includes six starters: James, offensive linemen Ryan Diem and Rick DeMulling, linebacker Rob Morris, cornerback Nick Harper and safety Idrees Bashir.

Although the Colts have room to sign most of the players, it's doubtful all will return.

Plus the Colts face some potentially tough choices with Pollard and kicker Mike Vanderjagt, who may have to redo their contracts to stay in Indianapolis.

Team owner Jim Irsay already has said he is prepared to put the franchise tag on James, keeping one key player in place. The Colts have already agreed to deals with Harrison and Stokley, which will keep the receiving corps together.

IMO, they should definitely re-sign DeMulling, Diem, and Morris. And I'd probably try to re-sign Harper as well, simply because they're so weak at CB.

I'd go ahead and release Pollard and Bashir at this point (the latter is never healthy). And I wouldn't exactly be sad if Vanderjagt was released. Sure, he's a great kicker, but his mouth is a liability.

I'm not really sure that his lack of "reinforcement" of that statement really means anything.  Unless I missed something, I haven't seen any concrete evidence that Irsay has changed his position.

659279[/snapback]

Actually, a couple weeks ago, there was a denial that the comment about keeping Edge and Harrison had actually been made to the Star. Polian is very non-commital. It could be just posturing, perhaps the Colts do not want to tip their hand, thus giving Edge's agent all the leverage.

However, tonight, local news reported that Irsay still plans on getting Edge re-signed in the off-season.

Agreed, look what the Pats did with Ant. Smith.  Freeney needs some help.

659257[/snapback]

Uhh, maybe I'm wrong but Mathis and Brock were two DL guys that had some solid sack totals. Freeney needs less help than you think. The Colts will remain a decent, opportunistic defense (especially the DL). They do, however, need a run-stuffing linebacker. Ah, if they could only get Jonathan Vilma.

Edge might just get a big fat franchise tag stapled to his butt. And then, perhaps, he gets traded. What happened with the rumors that he wanted to take his gold-encrusted grill back down to Miami? Don't they need another ganj-tokin', dread-wearin' RB? Yeah, they probably could use that. But I'd suspect Edge just gets re-signed.

Morlon Greenwood and a decent draft pick for Edge? Sounds doable.

Domonic Rhodes in the 3rd round of fantasy drafts?

And while we're on the Colt topic, Colt homers... what happened with the rumor that the Colts were headed west to Los Angeles? Pipe dream? Bad dream? :D

Edited by darin3

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. Dominic Rhodes will never be an everydown back in the NFL. He gets hurt too much, and fumbles too often in that role.

The LA rumors were fueled by Mortenson on ESPN. Although I usually respect what he has to say, I said from the start that I don't know where he was getting his info on that one. Bogus.