[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did the Jets acquire their 4 1st round picks

Fatman

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 Draft History, Four First Round Picks

The Jets made NFL history when they became the first team to ever make four first round selections in the draft. Using the 12th pick obtained from San Francisco, they chose Tennessee's DE Shaun Ellis and with the 13th pick obtained from Tampa Bay in the Keyshawn Johnson trade, took South Carolina LB John Abraham. With their own 18th pick, they selected Marshall QB Chad Pennington and with the 27th choice, also from the Johnson to Tampa Bay deal, picked TE Anthony Becht from West Virginia. (April 15).

It had something to do with Keyshawn Johnson i think

698891[/snapback]

2000  Draft History, Four First Round Picks 

The Jets made NFL history when they became the first team to ever make four first round selections in the draft. Using the 12th pick obtained from San Francisco, they chose Tennessee's DE Shaun Ellis and with the 13th pick obtained from Tampa Bay in the Keyshawn Johnson trade, took South Carolina LB John Abraham. With their own 18th pick, they selected Marshall QB Chad Pennington and with the 27th choice, also from the Johnson to Tampa Bay deal, picked TE Anthony Becht from West Virginia. (April 15).

698894[/snapback]

:D Thanks guys. One quick question - how did they get the SF pick?

This one is great

Cleveland Browns

2-14

Courtney Brown DE Penn State

Pick: Peter King They are going with the NFL's dream come true in this draft: a good guy who can play.

If he could stay on the field for a season that would be amazing

The one about Warrick is also funny. Best player to come out since Deion? Sounds a little like Mel Kipper to me!

Washington Redskins

Peter Warrick WR Florida St.

Pick: Trev Alberts Warrick, to me, bottom line, is the best player to come out since Deion Sanders.

Courtney Brown- injury plagued

Peter Warrick- bust (you could see that one coming)

Thomas Jones- bust

Travis Taylor- bust

Ron Dayne- bust

Sylvester Morris- injury plagued

Erik Flowers- bust

Rashard Anderson- bust

Deltha O'Neal- bust

R. Jay Soward- bust

Sebastian Janikowski -OK, but a K in the first round???

Trung Canidate- bust

What a stinky draft! Not to mention the guys who underperformed: Rob Morris, Chris Hovan, Anthony Becht, and IMO Chris Samuels.

And guess who was drafted in the SIXTH round? Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Robaire Smith, Dhani Jones, Mike Anderson. Fifth rounders include Clark Haggans, Dante Hall, and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

That draft did give the NFL first rounders Jamal Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Corey Simon, Plaxico Burress, Julian Peterson, Ahmed Plummer, Shaun Alexander, Keith Bullock, and LaVar Arrington.

Edited by CaptainHook

Sebastian Janikowski -OK, but a K in the first round???

Raider homer comign out here, but...

but considering the season before they lost key games, to the Cheifs to boot, because of poor ass FG kicking. Cole Ford was their guy. You might recognize the name as he was recently firing shots at Sigfreid and Roy's house.

Janikowski, outside of his off the field drinking and roofie problems, has been a solid, good kicker. Look at the lists of busts in that round, I say the Raiders made a great pick.

Raider homer comign out here, but...

but considering the season before they lost key games, to the Cheifs to boot, because of poor ass FG kicking. Cole Ford was their guy. You might recognize the name as he was recently firing shots at Sigfreid and Roy's house.

Janikowski, outside of his off the field drinking and roofie problems, has been a solid, good kicker. Look at the lists of busts in that round, I say the Raiders made a great pick.

701452[/snapback]

"Great" pick??? Well, check this out:

Janikowski 118-146 on FG's. Long: 55 yards. Touchbacks: 67

In the same draft:

6th round Paul Edinger (Bears): 110/146 on FG's. Long 54 yards. Touchbacks: 11

6th round Neil Rackers (Bengals): 75/108 on FG's. Long 55 yards. Touchbacks: 43

So, do you really think Janikowski is worth the extra touchbacks, considering his salary? What if you could have drafted Edinger later and used the first round pick on one of the following players, all of whom were drafted AFTER Janikowski: Deon Grant S, Mike Brown S, Ian Gold LB, Kenoy Kennedy S, Mike Anderson RB, Chad Clifton OT, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE, Marcus Washington LB, Dante Hall WR, Tom Brady QB, Marc Bulger QB, Cornelius Griffin DT, Dhani Jones LB, Chad Pennington QB, Laveranues Coles WR, Marvel Smith OT, Ahmed Plummer CB, Shaun Alexander RB, Keith Bullock LB, or Robaire Smith DT?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but passing on Shaun Alexander? Marcus Washington? Keith Bullock? Chad Pennington? Laveranues Coles? To take a "good" kicker? Horrible pick. Just terrible. And you cannot just gloss over all the off-field problems that Janikowski has had.

Edited by CaptainHook

Look at the lists of busts. He isn't a bust, he's a really good kicker and there's no denying that. So long as a 1st round pick doesn't bomb phenomonally and is still contributing to the team years down the line, then it's a good pick. Just cuz Ray Guy was a punter doens't mean he wasn't worth a #1.

Regardless of who was taken after him, and Lavernious Coles is a disapointment outside of 1 season, I'm glad the Raiders took him and just wish he would stop kicking roofies down chicks throats.

"Great" pick???  Well, check this out:

Janikowski 118-146 on FG's.  Long: 55 yards. Touchbacks: 67

In the same draft:

6th round Paul Edinger (Bears): 110/146 on FG's.  Long 54 yards.  Touchbacks: 11

6th round Neil Rackers (Bengals):  75/108 on FG's.  Long 55 yards.  Touchbacks: 43

So, do you really think Janikowski is worth the extra touchbacks, considering his salary?  What if you could have drafted Edinger later and used the first round pick on one of the following players, all of whom were drafted AFTER Janikowski: Deon Grant S, Mike Brown S,  Ian Gold LB,  Kenoy Kennedy S, Mike Anderson RB, Chad Clifton OT, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE, Marcus Washington LB, Dante Hall WR, Tom Brady QB, Marc Bulger QB, Cornelius Griffin DT, Dhani Jones LB, Chad Pennington QB,  Laveranues Coles WR, Marvel Smith OT, Ahmed Plummer CB, Shaun Alexander RB, Keith Bullock LB, or Robaire Smith DT?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but passing on Shaun Alexander?  Marcus Washington?  Keith Bullock?  Chad Pennington?  Laveranues Coles?  To take a "good" kicker?  Horrible pick.  Just terrible.  And you cannot just gloss over all the off-field problems that Janikowski has had.

701712[/snapback]

"Great" pick???  Well, check this out:

Janikowski 118-146 on FG's.  Long: 55 yards. Touchbacks: 67

In the same draft:

6th round Paul Edinger (Bears): 110/146 on FG's.  Long 54 yards.  Touchbacks: 11

6th round Neil Rackers (Bengals):  75/108 on FG's.  Long 55 yards.  Touchbacks: 43

So, do you really think Janikowski is worth the extra touchbacks, considering his salary?  What if you could have drafted Edinger later and used the first round pick on one of the following players, all of whom were drafted AFTER Janikowski: Deon Grant S, Mike Brown S,  Ian Gold LB,  Kenoy Kennedy S, Mike Anderson RB, Chad Clifton OT, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE, Marcus Washington LB, Dante Hall WR, Tom Brady QB, Marc Bulger QB, Cornelius Griffin DT, Dhani Jones LB, Chad Pennington QB,  Laveranues Coles WR, Marvel Smith OT, Ahmed Plummer CB, Shaun Alexander RB, Keith Bullock LB, or Robaire Smith DT?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but passing on Shaun Alexander?  Marcus Washington?  Keith Bullock?  Chad Pennington?  Laveranues Coles?  To take a "good" kicker?  Horrible pick.  Just terrible.  And you cannot just gloss over all the off-field problems that Janikowski has had.

701712[/snapback]

Yeah, it's still hard to believe - a kicker with the 17th overall pick. Sheesh!

Yeah, it's still hard to believe - a kicker with the 17th overall pick.  Sheesh!

703209[/snapback]

Better to take a QB with a huge signing bonus who washes out of the league withing a few years? Or a RB who struggles as a 3 stringer? An injury plagued WR?

I'll take the guy who contributes in a position that you were sorely hurting in over "the best percieved player on the board" in anyday.

I'm sorry, but this is the ultimate "homer" thing to say.  You telling me you DON'T wish they had taken Pennington or Alexander with that pick?

704360[/snapback]

I'm saying it wasn't a bad pick ( the jury is still out on Chad and I'm happy with Collins and loved Gannon, our QB at the time of that draft). Were there better picks? Of course there were, but they were a good team at that time that filled a need. His addition lifted them into the playoffs for 3 straight years (AFC CHmapionship game, Snow Job and the Super Bowl ass kicking). And he's still a member of the team, not a trivai question.

That's not what I call a bad pick when there are so many multi-million dollar bench warmers in that 1st round.

I'm saying it wasn't a bad pick ( the jury is still out on Chad and I'm happy with Collins and loved Gannon, our QB at the time of that draft). Were there better picks? Of course there were, but they were a good team at that time that filled a need. His addition lifted them into the playoffs for 3 straight years (AFC CHmapionship game, Snow Job and the Super Bowl ass  kicking).  And he's still a member of the team, not a trivai question.

That's not what I call a bad pick when there are so many multi-million dollar bench warmers in that 1st round.

705370[/snapback]

So, what you're saying is that if any first round pick isnt a bust, it's a good pick? Not sure I agree with that, I think when you select a first rounder, you do your best to get an impact player, and hope it pans out. I don't count kickers as impact players......unless you are talking about that guy from New England.... but even then, he would not be an impact player if he wasn't on a very good team, either.

Yeah I remember this it was unbelievable.  I wouldn't call their selections unbelievable however.

705534[/snapback]

Go back and look at some of the other first round picks listed above. Lots of busts. The Jets got 4 starters, all of whom still contribute. I'd say they did pretty well.