[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas top suitor for Darren Howard

rajncajn

Plus Anthony Simmons is in today and tomorrow for a visit.  Sign him and it's really hard to say what we try to get for Howard.

And a small note -- over the last 5 or 6 weeks last year we did play a quasi- 3-4 where Will Smith was up as a LB and moved around alot.

Correct on both accounts Cordo. They moved to that with Howard at DT in obvious passing situations. But Howard doesn't like DT either way and sees the writing on the wall, especially making franchise money.

From one of the Saints MBs. This sounds about right to me.

This is to end all the rumors and speculation. Inside source tells me that the first sticking point is the deal between Howard and the Cowboys. This has not been settled yet. Once that is accomplished, it is not the case of a pick plus Dat, it is a pick or Dat Nguyen, not both.

The negotiation between the agent and Dallas may take some time, but once its done, then the compensation talks will begin. But, its not for both Dat and the draft choice, but one or the other. Howards agent is discussing with both Dallas and Seatle right now.

I hope this helps save everyone alot of time and speculation. The source is reliable and anyone that knows me and my posts, knows that I would not make this up.

Here are some of the other interested teams. notice it says a 1st rounder OR a starting D player. The deal with Dat was likely a counter to an offer of a 2nd by the Cowboys. Nothing set in stone.

To play with this a little bit, what D starter from these teams do you think would be fair? I wonder if the Vikings are trying to pawn Hovan in a deal. I hear Jason Taylor wants out of Miami...lots of cash, that could be the Dolphins trying to get something for him.

Redskins | Interested in Saints' Howard - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:58:19 -0800

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the Washington Redskins have engaged in trade talks with the New Orleans Saints about acquiring DE Darren Howard. Several other NFL teams have also expressed interest in acquiring Howard, the Saints' franchise player. The Saints are seeking a first-round draft pick or a starting defensive player in return for Howard.

Dolphins | Interested in Saints' Howard - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:57:14 -0800

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the Miami Dolphins have engaged in trade talks with the New Orleans Saints about acquiring DE Darren Howard. Several other NFL teams have also expressed interest in acquiring Howard, the Saints' franchise player. The Saints are seeking a first-round draft pick or a starting defensive player in return for Howard.

Vikings | Interested in Saints' Howard - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:48:08 -0800

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have engaged in trade talks with the New Orleans Saints about acquiring DE Darren Howard. Several other NFL teams have also expressed interest in acquiring Howard, the Saints' franchise player. The Saints are seeking a first-round draft pick or a starting defensive player in return for Howard.

http://www.totsouth.com/totsouth/boards/vi...c.php?p=268#268

Dallas needs to back out of this immediately if reports are accurate. Howard is looking for a fat payday, and simply isnt worth it, let alone give up a 2nd round pick and Dat as well. If you could get Howard for the 2nd and 5 yr 25 mil, I do it. But Im hearing the 2nd and Dat are back in the mix after other teams started showing interest, and having to sign Howard 6 yrs for 33 mil, I run like hell......

Just depends on what teams are willing to give. I hate to see Howard go- he's at least above average against the run and pass, which increases his value.

If Howard wasn't trying to collect so much $$, he'd have already been traded IMO. I'll be thrilled if we end up with Dat and a 2nd (or a 4th for that matter).

Dallas needs to back out of this immediately if reports are accurate.  Howard is looking for a fat payday, and simply isnt worth it, let alone give up a 2nd round pick and Dat as well.  If you could get Howard for the 2nd and 5 yr 25 mil, I do it.  But Im hearing the 2nd and Dat are back in the mix after other teams started showing interest, and having to sign Howard 6 yrs for 33 mil, I run like hell......

734406[/snapback]

Just depends on what teams are willing to give.  I hate to see Howard go- he's at least above average against the run and pass, which increases his value.

If Howard wasn't trying to collect so much $$, he'd have already been traded IMO.  I'll be thrilled if we end up with Dat and a 2nd (or a 4th for that matter).

734418[/snapback]

Actually, from what I've heard Dallas & Howard have already settled on a contract. He may have already done the same with Seattle as well. I think the only thing left now is the haggling between the Saints, Seattle & Dallas. After it's all done I don't see us getting both Dat & a 2nd. Maybe Dat alone or a 1st alone. Either way I'd be reall happy since all I ever thought they'd get was a 2nd. Everything else is just icing.

Actually, from what I've heard Dallas & Howard have already settled on a contract. He may have already done the same with Seattle as well. I think the only thing left now is the haggling between the Saints, Seattle & Dallas. After it's all done I don't see us getting both Dat & a 2nd. Maybe Dat alone or a 1st alone. Either way I'd be reall happy since all I ever thought they'd get was a 2nd. Everything else is just icing.

734434[/snapback]

So Rajn have you heard if Seattle is still in the mix?

So Rajn have you heard if Seattle is still in the mix?

734441[/snapback]

Definately, but I think New Orleans is mostly using them as a bargaining chip. I read yesterday where TSN is saying Seattle is offering multiple picks, but they have the 23rd overall & Dallas has the 20th & 11th & the player they really want (Dat). If Dallas doesn't come off with either their 1.20 or Dat I could see the Saints giving him to Seattle for the 1.23 and maybe a later pick, but mostly I think their only real role here is to drive up his price.

Definately, but I think New Orleans is mostly using them as a bargaining chip. I read yesterday where TSN is saying Seattle is offering multiple picks, but they have the 23rd overall & Dallas has the 20th & 11th & the player they really want (Dat). If Dallas doesn't come off with either their 1.20 or Dat I could see the Saints giving him to Seattle for the 1.23 and maybe a later pick, but mostly I think their only real role here is to drive up his price.

734480[/snapback]

Dallas wont give up 1.20 for Howard, unless they get a 2nd and 3rd in return, as they want to trade down from 20 to get multiple picks.

734526[/snapback]

This ain't the Vikes, man. If the Saints want the 1.20 and Dat they can go ahead and keep Howard or throw in McAllister. We'll get James or Cody and then Merriman. Given the $$ Howard wants, the Saints are asking too much, IMHO.

Given the $$ Howard wants, the Saints are asking too much, IMHO.

734535[/snapback]

Maybe so, but the Saints aren't going to give him away. Howard signed his tender yesterday, we still have plenty of cap space, so no need to do anything drastic at this point (like give him away for somebody's 2nd round pick).

And to be honest, what Howard wants and what the Saints are asking are mutually exclusive, at least from the Saints perspective.

And to be honest, what Howard wants and what the Saints are asking are mutually exclusive, at least from the Saints perspective.

734561[/snapback]

Of course, but they are not mutually exclusive to any team willing to deal for him.

Maybe so, but the Saints aren't going to give him away.  Howard signed his tender yesterday, we still have plenty of cap space, so no need to do anything drastic at this point (like give him away for somebody's 2nd round pick).

734561[/snapback]

The Saints cant afford to sign Howard long term, and lock up Deuce and Bently. They want to trade him desperately, and they invest a 2nd in him, so getting that back knowing how few teams will pay Howards demands, is a smart move.

The Saints cant afford to sign Howard long term, and lock up Deuce and Bently.  They want to trade him desperately, and they invest a 2nd in him, so getting that back knowing how few teams will pay Howards demands, is a smart move.

734580[/snapback]

Boy, after reading this I keep thinking only one thing.

How can a team which is so absolutely horrendous on defense be open to removing quality players from the roster?

The Saints cant afford to sign Howard long term, and lock up Deuce and Bently.

They want to trade him desperately, and they invest a 2nd in him, so getting that back knowing how few teams will pay Howards demands, is a smart move.

734580[/snapback]

They want to trade him, yes -- desperately? I don't think so, or he'd already be long gone. He's signed his tender, so they won't move him this year (and don't have to) unless they get what they feel is fair value for him. He is only 28, and has over 40 sacks since the 2000 season.

You're right, they likely wouldn't be able to sign Howard long-term AND work deals with Deuce and Bentley (along with Horn and McKenzie). But it's as much (if not more) of an issue of not wanting to tie up the $$$ in three DEs as it is anything else. They love Grant and think Will Smith will be the real deal, so view Howard as expendable. Plus we need an impact LB badly.

Dont fool yourself, they desperately want to trade him, and havent yet because no team has met Howards demands just yet.  This organization is notorious for being cheap with players and invested way to much in its DL the last 5 yrs, and now have too many quality DL, and few other playmakers if any on defense.

735685[/snapback]

First off, if they were so desperate to be rid of him, they would never have franchised him. Second, as far as "notorious for being cheap with players", you may want to do a little research. The list of players the Saints have OVERPAID for is long and distinguished.

First off, if they were so desperate to be rid of him, they would never have franchised him.  Second, as far as "notorious for being cheap with players", you may want to do a little research.  The list of players the Saints have OVERPAID for is long and distinguished.

735730[/snapback]

I think he was talking about Dallas being cheap.