[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas top suitor for Darren Howard

rajncajn

Saints trying to deal Darren Howard

Friday, March 11, 2005 

Saints trying to deal Darren Howard

By Jeff Duncan

The Times-Picayune

The Dallas Cowboys have emerged as the primary suitor for Saints defensive end Darren Howard, but a handful of other teams have expressed interest in trading for New Orleans’ franchise free agent in recent days, NFL sources said Friday.

Dallas, along with at least one other unnamed team, is negotiating a long-term contract with Howard’s agent, Gary Wichard, the source said. The deal could pay Howard up to $17 million in bonus money.

While Dallas is considered the front-runner, Miami, Minnesota, Seattle, Washington and at least two other teams also have engaged in trade talks with Saints officials in the past week. Oakland and Kansas City also have been mentioned as possible suitors, but an NFL source said Friday that neither is a candidate at this time.

The Saints are seeking a first-round draft pick or a starting defensive player in return for Howard, a five-year veteran who led the Saints with 11 sacks last season.

Interesting.  I was hoping we could somehow package him and a draft pick and pry Julian Peterson from the 49ers.  We really need an impact LB.

731058[/snapback]

Speculation is it's for Dat Nguyen & a 2nd rounder. :keepingfingerscrossed:

Edited by rajncajn

I hope Jerry and the boys aren't willing to give up a first round pick for him. I'm really not thrilled about Dat and a 2nd. I'd rather see Glover and a 2nd. Dat, while undersized is a gamer that I'd hate to see the boys loose.

I hope Jerry and the boys aren't willing to give up a first round pick for him.  I'm really not thrilled about Dat and a 2nd.  I'd rather see Glover and a 2nd.  Dat, while undersized is a gamer that I'd hate to see the boys loose.

731140[/snapback]

Problem is Parcells has never liked him. Benson on the other hand loves the guy. Either way I'd be happy, but I prefer Dat & the 2nd. A 1st is never a gaurantee of anything & the Saints have proved before that they can screw up a pick. Dat, as you said, is a gamer & would be a huge upgrade to our LBs.

Well, the Seahawks are out....they badly need their pick and they only have like 2 starting defensive players left :D

731154[/snapback]

From what I understand the Seahawks were pulling for him as well, but I believe Dallas has more to offer.

Interesting.  I was hoping we could somehow package him and a draft pick and pry Julian Peterson from the 49ers.  We really need an impact LB.

731058[/snapback]

And you'd want a linebacker that has just blown up his Achillles?

www.dallasnews.com/sports/football/

Sources: Cowboys may deal Nguyen to Saints for DE

12:02 AM CST on Saturday, March 12, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys, who have not had a defensive end with double-digit sacks in nearly a decade, are in serious negotiations with New Orleans to acquire defensive end Darren Howard, two sources said Friday night.

The sources said the Cowboys are considering trading middle linebacker Dat Nguyen and a second-round pick in April's draft to New Orleans for Howard.

Howard (6-3, 275 pounds), a five-year veteran from Kansas State, had 11 sacks last season and 41 in his career. The former second-round pick had 11 sacks as a rookie.

He is currently involved in a salary dispute with the Saints, who have placed the franchise tag on him, meaning his salary is equal to the average of the five highest-paid defensive ends. If he doesn't sign the contract by 3 p.m. Monday, he and the Saints can't negotiate a long-term deal that would help the Saints lower his salary-cap figure in 2005 and provide him with the long-term security that he desires. The Saints also franchised Howard last season.

A source close to Howard said he has not yet entered serious contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but the sides have an idea of the parameters for working out an agreement.

Howard's name first surfaced in trade talk three days ago at the club's Valley Ranch training complex, but the talks didn't gain momentum until Friday, according to two sources.

Jeff Ireland, who's running the Cowboys' pro and college scouting department, called SMU coach Phil Bennett last week to inquire about Howard. Bennett was the defensive coordinator at Kansas State when Howard played there.

Edited by rajncajn

If the CowPokes send Nguyen and a 2nd for Howard, my guess is that their intentions would be to draft Derrick Johnson. Maybe hoping he falls to them at the 11, or even moving up to ensure they get him. Especially with Coakley being gone.

Howard can play the 3 - 4 0r the 4 - 3 D. The Saints played him at DT a few times late last year and he acquited himself well, showing good run stuffing ability.

If this goes down, Dallas DL will be a 3-4 with Ellis and Howard as the DE and Ferguson and Glover rotating at DT.

Dallas would then have LB Bradie James playing outside and Al Singleton playing the other OLB. Dallas would then need 2 ILB, and Id love to see them get in the Hartwell sweepstakes and then draft either D Johnson or S Merriman at 11, and then get the FS they need so desperately in Brodney Poole at 20.

This could be the most revamped D in the league in just 1 season, after finishing #1 in the league in D the season before. Amazing how many changes have already taken place.

I thought the reason Howard wants out is because he doesnt want to play in the 3-4? And did Dallas really spend all that money on Ferguson to have him be in a rotation at NT? I've read that, based on who Dallas picks up, personell-wise this off season would determine if they go 3-4 or 4-3. If they get Howard, they have 2 good DE's, and 2 good DT's..... and would only need one more LB to fill in thier starting front 7. I think if they aquire Howard, that would indicate a decision to go with the 4-3. Parcells would prefer the 3-4, but based on this, and the fact that both Jones and Parcells said who they can bring in will determine the D set, it's looking like a 4-3 to me.

Dallas will never be a full time 3-4, 4-3 team. They will play alot of both. But quality DL are harder to find than LB, which they can pick up for just cash with no picks in Hartwell.

Either way, its a huge upgrade to get rid od Nygun for Howard, but I hate giving up the 2nd rounder. Id like to see it as a 4th, sicne they dont have a 3rd.

You can almost guarantee Dallas trades down from 20, to get more picks if they do send a 2nd to NO.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I thought the reason Howard wants out is because he doesnt want to play in the 3-4?

No, the Saints don't play the 3-4. He wants out because:

a) We drafted Will Smith last year and now have Howard and 2 1st rounders at DE (Charles Grant is the other- both solid players)

:D The Saints made Howard play a good bit of DT last year, a position he doesn't like but did it for the good of the team (he also rotated at DE with Smith)

c) He wants a long-term contract, and the Saints won't do that with so much $$ tied up in their other two DE's

The latest reports on the trade, however, are that it is nixed for now. The Saints have multiple suitors for Howard, so who knows what will happen.

Ah, Ok, BOO, I knew it was something he wanst too pleased about, I thought it was a switch to a 3-4. Thanks, bad mistake for me it I dont know what sort of D the Saints will run when going after IDPs' eh? Must...read...more...

No, the Saints don't play the 3-4.  He wants out because:

a) We drafted Will Smith last year and now have Howard and 2 1st rounders at DE (Charles Grant is the other- both solid players)

:D The Saints made Howard play a good bit of DT last year, a position he doesn't like but did it for the good of the team (he also rotated at DE with Smith)

c) He wants a long-term contract, and the Saints won't do that with so much $$ tied up in their other two DE's

The latest reports on the trade, however, are that it is nixed for now.  The Saints have multiple suitors for Howard, so who knows what will happen.

732011[/snapback]

Plus Anthony Simmons is in today and tomorrow for a visit. Sign him and it's really hard to say what we try to get for Howard.

And a small note -- over the last 5 or 6 weeks last year we did play a quasi- 3-4 where Will Smith was up as a LB and moved around alot.