[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Update on Howard trade to Dallas

rajncajn

That's telling me that you think the trade would be good for Dallas.

Might not be good for Howard. They could run a scheme where he is funneling all the tackles/sacks to the lb's or something.

736382[/snapback]

I'd think you'd trust me but since you have tenure, I'll extrapolate.

To me, bringing in Howard or Abraham means all the talk of switching to a 3-4 can end. Given Glover sounds like he's staying put and the fact that it appears we are still going to be short a safety this looks like a base 4-3 to me. I'd think a 4-3 favors a DE's stats but I don't do IDP.

Ferguson is being brought in to clog the middle and stop the run, at a pretty hefty cost. Ferguson averages 52.4 tackles and 2.92 sacks per season (based on 7 seasons since he DNP in 2001). His career high is 4 sacks, which he has done twice, including last year. Any pressure Ferguson would put on the QB is nothing more than a bonus.

Glover averages 39.75 tackles and 8.56 sacks per season (based on 8 seasons since he only played 2 games for the Raiders in 1992). His career high was 17 in 2001 I think but last year was his best with the Cowboys, 7.

Ellis averages 42.85 tackles and 6.42 sacks a season. 9 last year was his career high with that slug Marcellus Wiley or Kenyon Coleman and his 9 tackles and 1 sack helping him out from the right.

Howard averages 34.8 tackles and 8.2 sacks a season with 11 being his career high twice in 2000 and 2004 with a decent amount of time at DT last year. THe Cowboys aren't going to offer a $33 million contract with a $15 to $16 million signing bonus along with a combination of draft pick(s) and Dat for this guy to not match his career averages. He will be expected to better them and make his first Pro Bowl.

The insider analysis lists Howard's weaknesses as the inability to handle the double team and that he struggles when run at directly. Now follow me here. With Ellis and Glover you won't be able to double team him a lot on passing downs so I'd expect 10-14 sacks. Ok so people will be trying to run at him more but first that will mean the potential for more tackles and, if we keep Dat there will be linebacker help behind him with Nguyen, Singleton, James, Thornton and first rounder Merriman so he should get a few more assists too.

Remember the CBS Rudolph Christmas Special? I'm like Sam the Snowman, I sing Silver & Blue all year long.

BTW, anyone know what name Larry Mann originally recorded the Christmas song "Silver & Gold" under? I know 1 of you should know.

That's great information Club.

My apologies to you. I was thinking originally you were in Fusion. Had the wrong league that I was in with you. It can be a cutthroat league. Next time, I'll just trust ya.

Ya know, you're all right for a Cowboy fan. :D

BTW, anyone know what name Larry Mann originally recorded the Christmas song "Silver & Gold" under?  I know 1 of you should know.

736991[/snapback]

A few more minutes and I'm going to reveal the answer so you guys can quit holding your breath.

:D

So, Rajn, I take it you're excited about this trade simply because of the emergence of Will Smith (and, of course, Charles Grant)?

737817[/snapback]

Well, there's a few reasons why I'm excited about it. Yes it's good that Grant & Smith have stepped up, but more importantly trading Howard gives us a better opportunity to either improve our draft position and/or gain a much needed LB. Also it will create the cap space we need to get some of our better players who are coming up on the ends of their contracts such as Deuce, Horn, LeCharles Bently & Mike McKenzie signed to new deals. I'd love nothing more than to be able to keep Howard, have the best DE rotation in the league and still be able to fill our other needs but I just don't see that happening. Right now he's more valuable as a trade option than a player given what we already have at DE.

Saints | Howard Likely to Still be Traded - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:57:31 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports there is still a chance the New Orleans Saints could trade DE Darren Howard to another team. However, since the deadline to sign him to a long-term deal has passed, the sense of urgency from other teams to grab him has changed drastically. It does, however, appear that the smart money is Howard will be dealt to another team before training camps open.

I wonder if they may try to use him on draft day in a package to move up, maybe there are some teams ahead of us looking at DE that would want him and move down. In different mock drafts I have looked at these teams are said to be taking a DE in the first round...

Lions pick 10

Cowboys pick 11

SanDiego pick 12 from Giants

Redskins Pick 9 (They are lookling at Courtney Brown but were interested in Howard)

So it could mean moving four to seven spots up. Is that worth Howard and our 1st rounder to move up? I don't see them taking that chance, even though I would be for it for the right person. My luck they would do it to get another DE. :D

Edited by Blitztalk