[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Update on Howard trade to Dallas

rajncajn

Got this from a Saints board & I don't have Insider access so I would need someone else to confirm.

I got this from

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21946

From ESPN Boards: Cowboys Draft & Howard Signed!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cut and paste this, its all over EPSN Boards!

"Just came accross this from sportsrumormill

Post subject: Cowboys Draft Targets

Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

Cowboys Draft Targets

St. Petersburg Times,

Roger Mills

Howard a Cowboy

This brings us to the current trade between the Cowboys and the Saints. From speaking with several people within the Cowboys camp we can now tell you that a trade is indeed in place. We can tell you that the trade infact includes sending the Saints the Cowboys 2005 2nd round pick and MLB Dat Nguyen. Despite previous reports, we can now validate that Dat Nguyen is back on the table and will be traded. Nguyen is in route to New Orleans tonight to take his physical. The Paperwork for the trade is being finalized; moreover, the trade will be sent out for final approval by the league. The Cowboys will be shelling out some big bucks for the newly acquired Darren Howard.

Howard is expected to be paid $15 million in signing bonuses and will be with the Cowboys for 6 yrs for $33 million.

Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Now I've also seen a post that says it might be a fake...whatever happens I wish it would happen soon. This is driving me nuts. :doah:  :D

735984[/snapback]

I don't see it anywhere on insider. Granted, since they redisigned that section of the site it's a little harder to find what you are looking for. :D

I don't see it anywhere on insider. Granted, since they redisigned that section of the site it's a little harder to find what you are looking for.  :D

735986[/snapback]

Neither do I. Glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes the redesign.

I did find a scout's write up on him(along with all the available FA's), but it has nothing to do with the trade. Still kind of cool though.

Darren Howard

Height: 6-3

Weight: 275

Born: Nov. 19, 1976

St. Petersburg, FL

Position: Defensive End

Grade 79

Insider Analysis Franchise Tag: Howard has enough range to make plays from sideline-to-sideline and is relentless in pursuit. Works to chase plays down from behind and can fight his way through traffic. Shows the ability to slip blocks while in pursuit. Has good athletic ability, can change directions quickly and can adjust to the moving target while in space. Is an explosive tackler and shows the ability to force fumbles. Gets his hands up in passing windows and will knock some passes down at the LOS. However, he lacks the ability to anchor against double teams and will struggle when teams run directly at him. Also needs to improve his base. Lacks ideal lower body strength and will get uprooted when he doesn't play with good leverage. Overall, Howard should only get better with added experience but he lacks the speed of a dominant edge rusher.

Position Defensive End

'04 Team New Orleans Saints*

'05 Team New Orleans Saints

Exp. 5 Years

I know this isn't related but here is a write up on a guy I'd like to see the Hawks pick up.

If there are any free agents you guys want to read about just let me know and I'll grab them for you.

Ed Hartwell

Height: 6-1

Weight: 250

Born: May. 27, 1978

Las Vegas, NV

Position: Linebacker

Grade 79

Insider Analysis Hartwell is a downhill, run stuffing linebacker who plays with great energy and enthusiasm. Hartwell is a very physical player with great explosion at the point of attack. He plays with great leverage and although he is not very big, he is rarely on the ground or off his feet. He is a technically sound tackler with a low pad level and good lower body strength. He takes excellent angles in pursuit and does a good job reading and reacting. He does not however, possess great sideline to sideline speed and he can be a bit of a liability in space. He is a good athlete, but not a great one and appears to be a little stiff in the hips when changing directions. He is not as comfortable in passing situations and is not as good a tackler in open space as he is in the box. Overall, Hartwell is an outstanding player who is always around the football and makes a lot of plays.

Position Linebacker

'04 Team Baltimore Ravens

'05 Team

Exp. 4 Years

I heard this morning things between Howard and the Cowboys are pretty much set in stone but that compensation to the Saints is the problem. Without a 3rd round pick thanks to Henson ( :D ), and yes I said last year that for what he was costing us he was a good deal :D, the Cowboys are in a tough spot. I still hear Dat is not part of the deal which to me woud indicate something like this years 2nd round pick and possibly next year's too.

Rumors on the radio in NY say that Dallas may be interested in Abraham now that he wont get signed to a contract.

736084[/snapback]

Abraham is a cancer and will be asking for more than Howard, I doubt Dallas really wants him.

Dont forget how Parcells LOVES his ex-players, and Parcells drafted him!

736104[/snapback]

I doubt Parcells loves how he basically gave up on his team in the playoffs because he hadn't gotten a long-term deal yet. Oh no, wait, he was injured, that's right. :D

I doubt Parcells loves how he basically gave up on his team in the playoffs because he hadn't gotten a long-term deal yet. Oh no, wait, he was injured, that's right. :D

736108[/snapback]

:D nothing this blind-a$$ homer loves more than another blind-a$$ homer. :D

I think I might prefer Abraham seeing as how he won't cost us Dat and one or more draft picks. Heck if nothing else barganing with the Saints just got easier.

:D

:D nothing this blind-a$$ homer loves more than another blind-a$$ homer.  :D

I think I might prefer Abraham seeing as how he won't cost us Dat and one or more draft picks.  Heck if nothing else barganing with the Saints just got easier. 

736114[/snapback]

Aren't the Jets asking for two first rounders :D

:D nothing this blind-a$$ homer loves more than another blind-a$$ homer.  :D

736114[/snapback]

:D:D

I think I might prefer Abraham seeing as how he won't cost us Dat and one or more draft picks.  Heck if nothing else barganing with the Saints just got easier. 

736114[/snapback]

You don't know that yet, the Jets aren't even to be rumored in any kind of trade talks. For all anybody knows the Jets may be willing to just let him sweat it out until he resigns. Lord knows they can't afford to lose another big player and even if they do then they will be in the market for a replacement as well.

Everywhere I've seen, Abraham is an UFA.

Oh, I now see where the Jets franchised Abraham. The Jets can ask for whatever they want but if the Cowboys can play the Jets against the Saints, I'll be happy with either one, at the right price.

Edited by Clubfoothead

He's been franchised by the Jets. Whether he's signed the tender or not is irrelevent.

736172[/snapback]

It is relevant. If he signed the tender, he would need permission to negotiate with other teams, now he can talk to who ever he wants, till July15, when he can sign with the Jets. Until then, he cant sign the tender or a contract with the Jets.

I'm surprised Scouts has him rated higher than Howard. :D

John Abraham

Height: 6-4

Weight: 256

Born: May. 6, 1978

Timmonsville, SC

Position: Defensive End

Grade 75

Insider Analysis Franchise Tag: Abraham possesses an explosive first step, he anticipates snap counts well and he excels at shooting the inside gap. He stays active, he uses his hands fairly well and he makes it difficult for offensive linemen to sustain blocks on him. Abraham takes good angles to the ball and he is relentless in pursuit. He shows great range and he can make plays from sideline-to-sideline. As a pass rusher, he can beat most offensive linemen with his first step, he is fast enough to turn the corner and he shows excellent closing speed to the quarterback. Abraham can change directions quickly and he is capable of redirecting inside after starting outside. However, Abraham takes too long to open his hips when he's forced to turn and run downfield and he is a liability in man coverage. He lacks ideal recognition skills, he is overaggressive at times and he will create running lanes by getting too far upfield. He lacks ideal bulk for a defensive end, bigger offensive tackles will have some success engulfing him at the point of attack and he appears to wear down when teams consistently run at him. Overall, Abraham is an explosive playmaker that will disrupt running plays in the backfield and force quarterbacks to get rid of the ball quickly as a pass rusher.

Position Defensive End

'04 Team New York Jets

'05 Team New York Jets

Exp. 5 Years

Edited by Vote Quimby2

I take Abraham talent wise 10 times out of 10 over Howard who isnt even the best DL on his own team.  Abraham may be a top 3 DL in the league,  Howard clearly is not.

736188[/snapback]

Is he worth 2 #1's though?

I take Abraham talent wise 10 times out of 10 over Howard who isnt even the best DL on his own team.  Abraham may be a top 3 DL in the league,  Howard clearly is not.

736188[/snapback]

Actually, if I'm not mistaken their numbers are relatively close but Howard doesn't have near the injury problems nor off field issue that Abraham does.

It is relevant. If he signed the tender, he would need permission to negotiate with other teams, now he can talk to who ever he wants, till July15, when he can sign with the Jets. Until then, he cant sign the tender or a contract with the Jets.

736194[/snapback]

That is understood, but nobody is going to give the Jets two 1sts for him so it really doesn't matter who he talks to, they still have to end up going thru the Jets.

someone tell me if Howard going to the Cowboys would be good for me since I have him in Fusion.  :D

736274[/snapback]

Asked, answered:

All I know for sure is that a DL consisting of Ellis, Glover, Ferguson and either Abraham or Howard makes me pitch a tent in my pants.

736195[/snapback]