[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edge signs with Colts

kryptonite

Bill

What is the word around Indy.........Is Edge coming in a happy camper, or is Indy still looking at a trade. I had heard he wants something more long term.

737384[/snapback]

This means nothing people. Edge had to sign the deal in order to get paid next season if he doesn't get traded. His agent is still looking to trade Edge.

The Indianapolis Colts' career rushing leader is staying put -- for now.

Former two-time NFL rushing champion Edgerrin James signed a one-year franchise offer that will pay him a little more than $8 million this year, the Colts confirmed today.

The move comes one week after Colts president Bill Polian told James' new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that the Colts could not afford to sign James to a long-term contract. Rosenhaus has since tried to work out a deal after Polian told him the Colts would not require a first-round draft pick in exchange for the three-time Pro Bowler.

A message was left today by The Associated Press at Rosenhaus' office.

James, 26, has said he wants a long-term deal, so a trade is still possible.

He is coming off his best season since tearing a ligament in his left knee in October 2001. James rushed for 1,548 yards and nine touchdowns, caught 51 passes for 483 yards and had a career-high average of 4.6 yards per carry last season.

The deal means Indianapolis could keep its triplets -- James, quarterback Peyton Manning and wide receiver Marvin Harrison -- together for a seventh straight year. Together, they have led Indianapolis to three division titles and five playoff appearances in six years. The only year the Colts missed the playoffs was 2001, when James missed the last 10 games.

Indianapolis already has a backup plan in case it does trade James.

In February, backup Dominic Rhodes signed a two-year deal that will pay him $1.3 million in base salary in 2005 and 2006. Rhodes rushed for 1,104 yards -- an NFL record for undrafted rookies -- when he replaced James in 2001, but since then only has seen spot duty because of shoulder and knee injuries.

James has rushed for 7,720 yards and 51 touchdowns, and caught 312 passes for 2,502 yards in six seasons. He has topped 2,000 yards from scrimmage in a season three times.

link

I am very surprised Edge signed at this time. I figured he would for sure sit out mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season. Perhaps James and Rosenhaus feel that this somehow forces the Colts hand. With Edge's $8 million "officially" on the books, they might think that signing will expediate a trade, if the Colts want that cap space back for this year. Very interesting.

Now that I've thought about it some more, all that it does is guarantee Edge $8 million for next year. Who wouldn't want that? With there being a lot of quality running backs on the market this year, maybe Rosenhaus and Edge feel that is the most they can get, and they better sign it. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

What it DOES mean is that he wont miss mini-camp, preseason or be a hold out. He wont miss any games.... so it's still good news for Indy fans.

737484[/snapback]

Since when has signing a contract stopped an NFL player from holding out? You have to sign a contract in order to hold out.

Bill

What is the word around Indy.........Is Edge coming in a happy camper, or is Indy still looking at a trade. I had heard he wants something more long term.

737384[/snapback]

Well, yeah, I'm sure that he does want something more long-term. IIRC, he's going to be 28 next year and has already missed significant time with injuries. My feeling is that he'd rather be with the team that will guarantee him financial security, but likes his situation in Indy enough that the franchise tag doesn't bother him enough to throw a fit about it. And, like Hook said, it's buyer's market right now with halfbacks. There are good options both on the free agent market and a via the draft.

I don't see a trade going down at this point. Surtain or Law might be good fits, but not at the expense of losing Edge. The Colts' window of opportunity is closing and they can't afford to lose an important piece of their offense right now, unless they were to get A LOT in return.

Signing the tender changes nothing.

He had to sign it to be under contract or he could not sign it or any contract for a few months. There is a 'blackout' for franchised players where if they sign during the blackout, the team loses the franchise tag for the length of the deal. Signing it means he is a touch easier to trade, but he can still hold out. This is why Pace signed with the Rams yesterday instead of today.

He can still be traded, he can still hold out. Nothing has changed. He is as easy to trade as Alexander or Henry at the moment.

Both Edge and Alexander, if traded, will want a new deal. Both would be required to sign the tender (which has a $0 signing bonus) before the trade would go through (can't trade a player you don't have under contract), and then would be free to negotiate a new deal.

This was just a formality and nothing else.

The one thing it does change is that Edge will probably not hold out. If he does, he can be fined. If he was planning on not attending training camp or playing in the pre-season, it would have been better to just not sign the contract. But he DID sign. He loses the leverage of saying, "I won't play for the Colts next year, you must trade me." If the Colts can't find a trade proposal they like, he WILL play for the Colts next year. The Colts can easily afford his price this year, and have enough to sign their rookie class. My guess is that Edge is a Colt next year. . .

Edited by CaptainHook