[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sporting News Mock Draft

Rovers

SPORTING NEWS MOCK DRAFT: Round 1

Pick Team Player Pos. School Previous Rising/Falling High/Low

1. 49ers Braylon Edwards WR Michigan 4th (+3) 1st / 4th

New coach Mike Nolan and GM Scot McCloughan want to trade down but can't find a willing partner. They have many needs and will take the best player available. Edwards is big (6-3, 211) and fast (4.45 speed), has great hands and has the potential to become an All-Pro receiver. He is a sure thing, which can't be said of QBs Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.

2. Dolphins Ronnie Brown RB Auburn 2nd SAME 2nd / 25th

New coach Nick Saban is a defense-first coach and has final say on all personnel matters. But he needs a workhorse back to make his conservative, ball-control offense work. Brown is big (6-0, 230) with great speed (4.43), is tough to tackle and catches the ball well.

3. Browns Derrick Johnson OLB Texas 3rd SAME 3rd / 3rd

New coach Romeo Crennel and GM Phil Savage already are working in concert. Crennel is a defensive guy who favors the 3-4 scheme and knows the value of elite linebackers. In Baltimore, Savage drafted multiple Pro Bowl linebackers who became the core of dominant units. Johnson is a great athlete with natural instincts.

4. Bears Carnell Williams RB Auburn 5th (+1) 4th / 25th

The Bears will take the biggest playmaker on the board. If not for the signing of free agent Muhsin Muhammad, WR Mike Williams might've gotten the nod here. There is a deep pool of WRs, so the Bears will get one later. Incumbent RB Thomas Jones is OK, but Williams is a workhorse with touchdown potential on every carry.

5. Buccaneers Mike Williams* WR USC 7th (+2) 5th / 21st

Coach Jon Gruden says he never can have enough weapons. Williams grew up in Tampa and will have marketing appeal. More important, he is big, physical and extremely talented. He and second-year man Michael Clayton could power Gruden's pass-happy attack for a decade.

6. Titans Alex Smith* QB Utah 16th (+10) 6th / 24th

Despite what Titans officials say, the team is in rebuilding mode. Smith has great upside and could sit behind Steve McNair for a couple years and learn without undo pressure. Smith is big, shows outstanding athleticism and is a proven leader.

7. Vikings

(from Raiders) Troy Williamson* WR South Carolina 14th (+7) 7th / 2nd round

The Vikings rebuilt the defense through free agency and trades and will look to try and replace some of Randy Moss' production here. Williamson is lightning fast and immediately would become Daunte Culpepper's new deep threat.

8. Cardinals Cedric Benson RB Texas 8th SAME 2nd / 8th

The Cardinals have outstanding young receivers, upgraded their offensive line through free agency and put a Band-Aid on the QB position. Coach Dennis Green covets a power running back, and Benson has the size and will to run hard between the tackles and the great vision and speed to get outside. Benson would balance the offense and take pressure off the QB.

I posted only the first eight picks for several reasons... mostly to question the San Fran pick in this mock. They sent all of thier top brass to the private workouts of QB's Smith and Rodgers, which were in different cities on consecutive days. If they were to go another position at 1, are they thinking they could still get one of these QB's for a lower pick by trading down? I just cant see them NOT drafting one of these guys. 49er homers, thoughts, scuttlebutt?

You must not have seen him in his bowl game this year...

741321[/snapback]

That is true. But he did very well in his workouts, and nearly everything i've read has the 49ers most likely picking him #1. And if he doesn't go #1, there's no way he slides down to 9 or later.

1. 49ers will take a QB or go defense, I'm sure of it. The Ravens did it without any real WRs, the Niners already have some young talent anyway.

2. Dolphins will probably go QB or WR here. Saban has been burning up Ricky Williams' celly for the past two months and I have to think something will get done.

3. Good pick. I'm sick of seeing all these mocks where the first imapct LB to come out in YEARS slides down to like 1.15. If the Brownies don't take him, he won't slide past 1.5 without somebody moving up to take him.

4. The Bears need basically every position, so they will go with BPA.

5. I can't believe the Bucs would pass on an impact RB if given the chance here, unless they work a trade for one of the available veteran studs.

6. My instinct says no, they fill holes at WR or CB . . . but they're right, the Titans are harboring no illusions of being competitive this year. Do what they did with McNair, draft a QB with big tools and SIT HIM UNTIL HE'S READY.

7. Vikes' pick is fine, though if one of the Big Three RBs are left, they may shock everyone and go that way . . . rumor has it that they aren't happy with any of their three as a go-to Starter of the Future.

8. If Ced Benson is available here Green will do cartwheels. Picture that for a minute. No, wait, DON'T.

C'mon, gimme the Top Ten! I wanna put in my $0.02 about the Lions! :P

Peace

policy

. Redskins Adam Jones* CB West Virginia 11th (+2) 8th / 32nd

Washington traded away Champ Bailey last year, just lost Fred Smoot in free agency and now have a glaring need at cornerback. Jones (5-9 1/2, 187) lacks great size but is a big-time playmaker with a confident, winning attitude. He gambles at times, but his risky decisions usually pay off. Jones would have to become a better assignment corner in coordinator's Gregg Williams' disciplined defense.

10. Lions Alex Barron T Florida State 10th SAME 5th / 14th

The Lions must upgrade at OT and would be thrilled if Barron — the No. 1-rated player in our Super 99 — slides this far. Barron is huge and has outstanding athleticism. Most important, he is a great pass blocker. Barron might struggle if asked to play right tackle because he is not an exceptional run blocker. If the Lions get Barron, expect LT Jeff Backus to move to the right side.

11. Cowboys Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma 22nd (+11) 11th / 22nd

With the first of two first-round picks, the Cowboys hope to get the missing piece in their attempt to re-create the triplet magic of the '90s at QB, RB and WR. Last year, the team drafted RB Julius Jones. This off-season, strong-armed QB Drew Bledsoe was signed. Clayton would bring a desperately needed receiving threat downfield. Clayton is a playmaker who can score from anywhere.

12. Chargers

(from Giants) Erasmus Jones DE Wisconsin 9th (-3) 6th / 12th

San Diego must get a young receiver but won't be able to pass up James. James never stops hustling and thus is the anti-Marcellus Wiley. James (6-4, 266) is a little undersized to be a 3-4 end, but plays with great intensity and leverage.

13. Texans Antrel Rolle CB Miami (Fla.) 6th (-7) 6th / 13th

Facing the Colts and Jaguars twice a year in the pass-happy AFC South, Houston is forced to use nickel personnel about two-thirds of the time. Rolle has decent size and speed but shows great instincts and never misses an assignment.

14. Panthers Thomas Davis* S Georgia 18th (+4) 14th / 2nd round

The big, physical Davis would round out the Panthers' elite defense. He is quick and has decent straight-line speed for a strong safety. Thomas is a big hitter who will be great in run support but might be a liability in pass coverage.

15. Chiefs Carlos Rogers CB Auburn 15th SAME 15th / 2nd round

The Chiefs have quantity at cornerback but must upgrade the quality. Rogers, whose stock is rising, has great speed and quickness. He is physical and fearless and would help against the run, too. He needs to improve his ball skills, however.

16. Saints Aaron Rodgers* QB California 1st (-15) 1st / 16th

Rodgers' stock is dropping fast because of The Tedford Factor. All of coach Jeff Tedford's elite college QBs have been NFL busts. Aaron Brooks' immaturity is wearing thin on Saints officials, who might jump at the chance to get a young guy to push him. Rodgers is a bit undersized but has a strong arm, outstanding fundamentals and can make all the throws.

17. Bengals Travis Johnson DT Florida State 17th SAME 11th / 17th

The Bengals had trouble stopping the run in '04. The addition of free-agent DT Bryan Robinson will help, but it's just a stopgap measure. Johnson is a big, physical presence but is quick enough to play in a one-gap scheme.

18. Vikings David Pollack DE Georgia 21st (+3) 6th / 21st

As the Vikings continue to remake their defense, Pollack gives them the athletic, standup edge rusher they need to play the 3-4 that Ted Cottrell prefers. At 6-2 1/8, 265 with very short (30½-inch) arms, Pollack overcomes concerns about his size with great

speed and quickness (3.90 short shuttle), outstanding instincts and nonstop hustle. Best suited as a pass rusher, Pollack also can stuff the run and play in open field.

19. Rams Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma 19th SAME 19th / 28th

The Rams are closer to locking up franchise LT Orlando Pace, but they need to replace Kyle Turley on the opposite side. At 6-5 7/8, 316, Brown has long, strong arms, and works best in pass protection. He has the tools for run blocking but needs to get stronger and bulkier to excel at it.

20. Cowboys

(from Bills) Shawne Merriman* DE Maryland 13th (-7) 13th / 23rd

Bill Parcells is a 3-4 defensive coach at heart and is looking to acquire the personnel to make the transition. Merriman is an outstanding athlete who played both linebacker and end in college and may be the key ingredient. At 6-4 3/8, 272, Merriman may be asked to lean up to increase his speed on the edge.

21. Jaguars Marcus Spears DE LSU 31st (+10) 21st / 2nd round

The Jaguars have two of the best young DTs in the game in John Henderson and Marcus Stroud, and they added end Reggie Hayward. Spears, at 6-4, 307, would play left end in the team's upfield attacking scheme. Spears has great athleticism and agility and might be the finishing touch on a dominant front four.

22. Ravens Matt Roth DE Iowa 24th (+2) 22nd / 2nd round

The Ravens are converting to a 4-3 and must restock their personnel. At 6-3¾, 278, Roth plays with nonstop hustle and sometimes gets a little out of control. He must improve his pass-rush discipline but shows tremendous potential. He also can play either end.

23. Seahawks Justin Miller* CB Clemson 29th (+6) 23rd / 2nd round

Seattle lost CB Ken Lucas in free agency and must address this need early. Miller, at 5-9¾, 201 with 4.42 speed, possesses great change-of-direction and ball skills, and is a tough, physical defender. He also was a productive kick returner in college.

24. Packers Shaun Cody DT USC 20th (-4) 19th / 29th

Cody is a versatile defender who can play anywhere on the line. He eventually will settle in as a tackle. Cody has the hustle and intensity to go along with good size (6-4, 293). He would fits Green Bay's attacking scheme with his ability to penetrate, get upfield and make plays on the ball.

25. Broncos Justin Tuck* DE Notre Dame 2nd round 25th / 2nd round

The Broncos are looking to trade Trevor Pryce, and have little talent or depth at end after losing Hayward. Tuck (6-5, 268) is a relentless pass rusher who should step right in and help Denver get pressure on the passer.

26. Jets Corey Webster CB LSU 23rd (-3) 15th / 30th

The Jets must upgrade their secondary, starting with speed and coverage skills at cornerback. Donnie Henderson likes to attack on defense, often leaving his corners one-on-one against a receiver. Webster has good size (6-0 1/8, 199) with long arms, plays physical at the line and is willing in run support. He uses his frame and ball skills to his advantage downfield, making up for his slight speed deficiency.

27. Falcons Darryl Blackstock* OLB Virginia 32nd (+5) 27th / 2nd round

Ed Donatell calls for an upfield attacking scheme. Paired with Pro Bowler Keith Brooking, Blackstock will be set free to use his speed

10. Lions Alex Barron T Florida State 10th SAME 5th / 14th

The Lions must upgrade at OT and would be thrilled if Barron — the No. 1-rated player in our Super 99 — slides this far. Barron is huge and has outstanding athleticism. Most important, he is a great pass blocker. Barron might struggle if asked to play right tackle because he is not an exceptional run blocker. If the Lions get Barron, expect LT Jeff Backus to move to the right side.

741501[/snapback]

DING DING DING

No more phone calls, folks, we have a winner!

Peace

policy

27. Falcons Darryl Blackstock* OLB Virginia 32nd (+5) 27th / 2nd round

Ed Donatell calls for an upfield attacking scheme. Paired with Pro Bowler Keith Brooking, Blackstock will be set free to use his speed and athleticism to pressure the quarterback and run to the ball, the two things he loves to do.

28. Chargers Demarcus Ware OLB Troy State 2nd round 28th / 2nd round

The Chargers are one of the leaders in the copycat NFL. Wade Phillips installed the 3-4 upon his arrival and the team has remade its personnel to fit. Now that there are as many as a dozen teams using 3-4s, Ware is the type of player who is in great demand. Ware, 6-4, 251 with 4.56 speed, played outside linebacker in college. He shows both the speed and burst to rush the passer off the edge and both the athleticism and instincts to play in open field.

29. Colts Fabian Washington* CB Nebraska N/A 29th / N/A

The Colts must upgrade their speed at cornerback. Washington had an Olympian Combine workout, posting a 4.29 forty, a 3.91 short shuttle and a 41½-inch vertical leap. A bit undersized at 5-10½, 188, he compensates with his athleticism and strong coverage skills.

30. Steelers Marlin Jackson CB Michigan 2nd round 12th / 2nd round

Jackson, a big, physical corner at 6-0 5/8, 198, possesses all the skills to be a starting corner but is a step away from elite speed at 4.52. He shows great quickness — he posted a 3.96 short shuttle that makes up for some of his speed deficit. He played both corner and safety in college and would be a factor in the Steelers' nickel packages until he eventually takes over at corner for veteran Willie Williams.

31. Eagles Channing Crowder* ILB Florida 27th (-4) 18th / 2nd round

The Eagles need an upgrade at LB, the weakest position on a very strong defense. Jim Johnson likes to call blitzes from everywhere and needs athletic LBs for them to be effective. If not for some character concerns, we would have Crowder off the board sooner. He is very aggressive and plays with nonstop hustle. He can be undisciplined, but he is still young, having played only two years at Florida and leaving as a redshirt sophomore.

32. Patriots Barrett Ruud ILB Nebraska 2nd round 18th / 2nd round

The Patriots' defense is driven by its aging linebackers. Tedy Bruschi may not return from a minor stroke and Ted Johnson and Willie McGinest are two of league's oldest linebackers. Ruud is the versatile player Bill Belichick looks for. Ruud isn't the most athletic defender, but he plays smart and has great character both on and off the field.

Sorry, I am a puter dummy, and this is the only way I could post the whole first round! :D

This is the first draft in years where I think it's nearly impossible for Millen to piss me off. Barron or Merriman/Jones seem like the only real choices here. If all three of those guys are available, I'd prefer to see a DE drafted, mostly because that would indicate that Butler is ready to go.

Commenting on the Jet's pick, I can easilly see them going CB or Safety. They are not thrilled with Abraham at CB, although he played well against the Steelers in the playoff game, but Reggie Tongue is old too. They will try to replace either Tongue or Abraham... unless Heath Miller is still there. Only Alexander and Freddie Jones are still FA's at the TE position, but the Jets may yet make an offer to Bubba Franks, which can be matched by GB if they choose to. As a transitional player, there would be no compensation back to GB if they chose not to match the offer sheet.

There are still one or two DT's out there that they may sign, and then look for an ORG in the second round.

This is the first draft in years where I think it's nearly impossible for Millen to piss me off.  Barron or Merriman/Jones seem like the only real choices here.  If all three of those guys are available, I'd prefer to see a DE drafted, mostly because that would indicate that Butler is ready to go.

741526[/snapback]

Them's dangerous words..

"With the 10th pick in the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select.. wait.. this can't be right.. it is?.. really? uh.. from the Ohio State University, kicker Mike Nugent."

I find it hard to believe the Bears will go with an RB. Jones is more than serviceable, and there are several vets on the FA market. #4 pick being spent on the Bears strongest offensive position? Given their draft history, it's more than likely. :D

If all three of those guys are available, I'd prefer to see a DE drafted

741526[/snapback]

Me too, especially since the Texans missed out on Pace and need some OL help in the worst way.

7. Vikings

The Vikings rebuilt the defense through free agency and trades and will look to try and replace some of Randy Moss' production here. Williamson is lightning fast and immediately would become Daunte Culpepper's new deep threat.

I think the Panthers will get him.

I find it hard to believe the Bears will go with an RB.  Jones is more than serviceable, and there are several vets on the FA market.  #4 pick being spent on the Bears strongest offensive position?  Given their draft history, it's more than likely.  :D

741533[/snapback]

Yup.

Peace

policy

Perhaps the worst mock I have ever seen..

741565[/snapback]

It sure seems that way to me, too. That's pretty much why I posted it. I mean, why would SF be sending thier entire management team out for private QB workouts like that, if they werent intending to pick one of them? I don't think it's for the frequent flyer miles. I hadnt heard that they were trying to trade down at all. They need a franchise QB, and cant afford to wait. It MIGHT make some sense if they felt that both QB's were equal.... and they could tade down and still get one at 1.7 or something.

5. I can't believe the Bucs would pass on an impact RB if given the chance here, unless they work a trade for one of the available veteran studs.

741496[/snapback]

The only way the Bucs pass on Mike Williams or Edwards is if Ronnie Brown falls to them. There are so many rumors that Gruden loves Caddy but those only stem from the fact that Gruden coached Caddy in the Senior Bowl. The Bucs are still in "Cap Hell" and already have Pittman and Garner signed for this year, therefore they will not be able to find a way to sign one of the high priced veteren RBs. Look for Mike Williams to be the pick unless Cedrick Bensen amazes in his workout.

SPORTING NEWS MOCK DRAFT: Round 1

Pick Team Player Pos. School Previous Rising/Falling High/Low

1. 49ers Braylon Edwards WR Michigan 4th (+3) 1st / 4th

New coach Mike Nolan and GM Scot McCloughan want to trade down but can't find a willing partner. They have many needs and will take the best player available. Edwards is big (6-3, 211) and fast (4.45 speed), has great hands and has the potential to become an All-Pro receiver. He is a sure thing, which can't be said of QBs Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.

2. Dolphins Ronnie Brown RB Auburn 2nd SAME 2nd / 25th

New coach Nick Saban is a defense-first coach and has final say on all personnel matters. But he needs a workhorse back to make his conservative, ball-control offense work. Brown is big (6-0, 230) with great speed (4.43), is tough to tackle and catches the ball well.

3. Browns Derrick Johnson OLB Texas 3rd SAME 3rd / 3rd

New coach Romeo Crennel and GM Phil Savage already are working in concert. Crennel is a defensive guy who favors the 3-4 scheme and knows the value of elite linebackers. In Baltimore, Savage drafted multiple Pro Bowl linebackers who became the core of dominant units. Johnson is a great athlete with natural instincts.

4. Bears Carnell Williams RB Auburn 5th (+1) 4th / 25th

The Bears will take the biggest playmaker on the board. If not for the signing of free agent Muhsin Muhammad, WR Mike Williams might've gotten the nod here. There is a deep pool of WRs, so the Bears will get one later. Incumbent RB Thomas Jones is OK, but Williams is a workhorse with touchdown potential on every carry.

5. Buccaneers Mike Williams* WR USC 7th (+2) 5th / 21st

Coach Jon Gruden says he never can have enough weapons. Williams grew up in Tampa and will have marketing appeal. More important, he is big, physical and extremely talented. He and second-year man Michael Clayton could power Gruden's pass-happy attack for a decade.

6. Titans Alex Smith* QB Utah 16th (+10) 6th / 24th

Despite what Titans officials say, the team is in rebuilding mode. Smith has great upside and could sit behind Steve McNair for a couple years and learn without undo pressure. Smith is big, shows outstanding athleticism and is a proven leader.

7. Vikings

8. Cardinals Cedric Benson RB Texas 8th SAME 2nd / 8th

The Cardinals have outstanding young receivers, upgraded their offensive line through free agency and put a Band-Aid on the QB position. Coach Dennis Green covets a power running back, and Benson has the size and will to run hard between the tackles and the great vision and speed to get outside. Benson would balance the offense and take pressure off the QB.

I posted only the first eight picks for several reasons... mostly to question the San Fran pick in this mock. They sent all of thier top brass to the private workouts of QB's Smith and Rodgers, which were in different cities on consecutive days. If they were to go another position at 1, are they thinking they could still get one of these QB's for a lower pick by trading down? I just cant see them NOT drafting one of these guys. 49er homers, thoughts, scuttlebutt?

741293[/snapback]

1.6 Titans: The chance of the Titans taking a QB at 1.6 is zero. To even put that in a mock is sheer idiocy. Almost as dumb as saying that the 49ers wont take a QB at 1.1. The Tennessee pick here is a corner, either Pac man or Rolle. I think if Braylon Edwards miraculously fell to them here, they would take him. Or maybe even Mike Williams. But the biggest need among many is cb. So, barring a trade down, the pick is one of the 2 corners..

The chance of the <snip> taking a QB <snip> is zero.  To even put that in a mock is sheer idiocy. <snip> The <snip> pick here is a corner <snip>.  But the biggest need among many is cb.

741660[/snapback]

Gosh, that sounds familiar. Why does that remind of something I said a few years ago?

Peace

policy

1.6 Titans:  The chance of the Titans taking a QB at 1.6 is zero.  To even put that in a mock is sheer idiocy.  Almost as dumb as saying that the 49ers wont take a QB at 1.1.  The Tennessee pick here is a corner, either Pac man or Rolle.  I think if Braylon Edwards miraculously fell to them here, they would take him.  Or maybe even Mike Williams.  But the biggest need among many is cb.  So, barring a trade down, the pick is one of the 2 corners..

741660[/snapback]

A cornerback is this teams biggest need?

:D ...........

Gosh, that sounds familiar.  Why does that remind of something I said a few years ago?

Peace

policy

741667[/snapback]

Oh no! Its official! The Titans have become the Detroit Lions! :D