[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Sleepers", 2005 Season

darin3

Since I haven't started a topic in this here forum in months, I thought I'd start up some general conversation on "sleepers" for next season. Perhaps you have an ULTRA-SLEEPER you want to discuss, or perhaps someone who's really not that big of a sleeper that you're really targeting for next season.

Off the top of my head, I am thinking Chris Chambers. I think the Miami offense may improve slightly, and Chambers is a stud waiting to break out of his shell. If drafted in the right position, I think he could be a solid #2 WR that eventually puts up Tier I or II WR numbers. Could be a steal.

Anyone else targeting some sleepers they wanna discuss? :D

He's not really a sleeper, but more of a potentially overlooked commodity -- Charles Rogers in Detroit ... he may have dropped off the radar with his injuries and I think he comes back and performs at a higher level than conventional analysis based on production will place him coming into the draft (due to the injuries).

I know Baltimore fans may pelt me with insults but I think T Taylor is going to have a good season for the Vikes. I think this is one of those moves that jump starts an upswing in this guys career. He wants to be there.....has a great QB and I really think he breaks out this season.

one player that i think fits the mold of potential stud is jerry porter, with the addition of randy moss and the other moves made by the raiders, i think porter will explode this season, teams cant double cover both guys.

747818[/snapback]

I agree, to a certain point. Moss is going to be the focal point of that offense. Collins is gonna throw to him no matter what. Speaking of Collins... he is, still... well... Kerry Collins. In leagues that don't penalize for TOs, he could be a HUGE sleeper, though.

I would project Porter at 800-900 yards and 5-6 TDs.

I know Baltimore fans may pelt me with insults but I think T Taylor is going to have a good season for the Vikes. I think this is one of those moves that jump starts an upswing in this guys career. He wants to be there.....has a great QB and I really think he breaks out this season.

747887[/snapback]

I honestly doubt Viqueen fans are gonna hurl insults at you. Taylor's been a bit of a bust, but hey, look at the offense he's been playing in. With C-Pepp hucking the pigskin to him, he'll feel more "at home" - seeing that he's an ex-Gator. I agree with ya here, I think he has a tremendous season. Burleson isn't a #1 guy.

Taylor should post 1,000+ yards and 8+ TDs.

He's not really a sleeper, but more of a potentially overlooked commodity -- Charles Rogers in Detroit ... he may have dropped off the radar with his injuries and I think he comes back and performs at a higher level than conventional analysis based on production will place him coming into the draft (due to the injuries).

747834[/snapback]

Similar to my response re: Porter... here's a guy that's gonna be the clear-cut #2 offense featuring a less-than-reliable QB. Garcia doesn't really have that big of an arm, and Detroit is going to continue to rely on the WC offense. Add in the fact that Rogers is obviously brittle as they come, and you have a bit of a risk here. I'll agree with you, that he may be overlooked. If you can grab him in a late round, after you have your starting WRs and perhaps one backup on your roster, he could be a decent option.

Figure, if he stays 100% healthy, he can get you 600-800 yards and 4-5 TDs. That's all I can honestly see him getting. Williams is going to top 1,000 and will score 10+ times. Yup.

Pure speculation here, but I think Ronnie Brown can be a rookie back that goes for 1,000+ yards and double-digit TDs. He's a beast, and will play in a run-first offense, assuming the Bucs draft him, as expected. Pittman and Garner are old ... one of them will probably be released and the other used as a 3rd down / change of pace guy.

I don't know if he these guys are considered sleepers but what the he11.

Ashley Lelie- That's right Big Play making and with Rod Smith declining steadily and a coach that isn't afraid to throw the gunner down field and particularly in the endzone how could his value be any better

Tatum Bell- I guess I am answering my own quetion here. Of all RB in the game today I believe Tatum Bell has the greatest potential of them all. He is fast, the agilty, and that Broncos O-Line that ranks #1 IMO. Also Shannahan even though built a passing team in the past. With Terrell Davis' performance Shanny knows that passing isn't the only way to get down field.

Pure speculation here, but I think Ronnie Brown can be a rookie back that goes for 1,000+ yards and double-digit TDs.  He's a beast, and will play in a run-first offense, assuming the Bucs draft him, as expected.  Pittman and Garner are old ... one of them will probably be released and the other used as a 3rd down / change of pace guy.

747927[/snapback]

i was actually going to post that as a topic for discussion, which player taken in this years draft will have the biggest impact? i agree 100% on brown, i think he starts this year where ever he goes and does very well.

A potential SUPER-SLEEPER is Buffalo WR Lee Evans. He showed flashes of brilliance last year, and if Buffalo's passing game improves, he will increasingly be the go-to guy as Moulds' production declines with age.

Who ever winds up as the starting RB for Miami....and it wont be Pittman, Garner or Alstott. Even it they do take Ricky back after Luly 28, he misses the first four games. (If he comes back before that, he can't play at all this coming season)

I like Evans, and Coles has a shot at a comeback year. Branch should have a nice year, with the departure of Patten. I think Burleson shuts up his detractors in a big way. Everyone expects a drop off in CuMar's numbers, but Blaylock is not about to steal carries inside the 10 like Jordan did on occassion. His yardage totals may go down some, but not as much as most think and his TD production should not slip.

Here are a few busts for ya.... Mushin.... Mason....Barlow (again) ... Patten.... Pollard.

Who ever winds up as the starting RB for Miami....and it wont be Pittman, Garner or Alstott. Even it they do take Ricky back after Luly 28, he misses the first four games. (If he comes back before that, he can't play at all this coming season)

I like Evans, and Coles has a shot at a comeback year. Branch should have a nice year, with the departure of Patten. I think Burleson shuts up his detractors in a big way. Everyone expects a drop off in CuMar's numbers, but Blaylock is not about to steal carries inside the 10 like Jordan did on occassion. His yardage totals may go down some, but not as much as most think and his TD production should not slip.

Here are a few busts for ya.... Mushin.... Mason....Barlow (again) ... Patten.... Pollard.

748434[/snapback]

:D Pittman/Garner/Alstott = Tampa Bay..... Ricky = Miami

Agree w/ your bust picks... but think Barlow will improve on last season's tragedy.

ACK! Brain freeze! :D I meant TB all along, and then meant to say.... who ever both Miami and Tampa end up with.... oh well. Suffice to say, the starting RB's for either team should do well, and it wont be Pittman, alstott, Garner, Willimas or any of the other injured RB's Miami picked up last year. MH hangover...still recovering, convinced now that I am just an old gay guy.

ACK! Brain freeze!  :D  I meant TB all along, and then meant to say.... who ever both Miami and Tampa end up with.... oh well. Suffice to say, the starting RB's for either team should do well, and it wont be Pittman, alstott, Garner, Willimas or any of the other injured RB's Miami picked up last year. MH hangover...still recovering, convinced now that I am just an old gay guy.

749344[/snapback]

:D

Chris Chambers? :D You gotta be kidding me. The Miami offense is slightly improved? OK Darin, stick to your defensive prognostication, you're much better at it. :D

How about Nate Burleson? He's going to be given an opportunity to become the primary target on an offense with a very good and deep running game and good QB. Not to mention, Burleson had some HUGH games last season when Moss was hurt, indicating that he's ready to step up and be the #1 WR.

Matter of fact, I'd be willing to make a wager that Burleson out-produces Chambers.

Everyone seems to like Burleson so maybe a bust candidate to me. Randy drew the #1 coverman and Burleson exploited the #2. With Burleson lined up against the #1 corner it may take him a year to come around. Maybe I am crazy but M. Robinson could be the real sleeper in that WR corp. Some others: T. Calico in Tenn, S. Smith (Carolina) may have fallen off the radar since his injury last year. Everyone is high on J. Walker in GB but I think D. Driver is the value pick on that team, might be able to get him on the cheap.

Chris Chambers? :D You gotta be kidding me. The Miami offense is slightly improved? OK Darin, stick to your defensive prognostication, you're much better at it. :D

How about Nate Burleson? He's going to be given an opportunity to become the primary target on an offense with a very good and deep running game and good QB. Not to mention, Burleson had some HUGH games last season when Moss was hurt, indicating that he's ready to step up and be the #1 WR.

Matter of fact, I'd be willing to make a wager that Burleson out-produces Chambers.

749374[/snapback]

You're obviously not too high on Chambers. :D

I honestly think the Miami offense will improve. Heck, it can't do much WORSE than last season. CBS Sportsline (not that we should trust them) has Chambers as their #22-ranked WR going into the 2005 campaign. This site is ultra-high on Chambers. Read the commentary. Saban + Linehan = better offense. Come on, Hugh, you're slipping in the off-season. :D

Not sold on Burleson. He had a few big games without Moss in the lineup. He also had some stinker games. I think he'll have a similar season to this past season's output. Although the site I refer to above also loves Burleson. We'll see! I love Travis Taylor as a sleeper.

Edited by darin3

749374[/snapback]

:D Julius Jones is going to rush for 2,300 yards and have 32 TDs. :D

At WR give me Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Troy Edwards.

I agree, to a certain point.  Moss is going to be the focal point of that offense.  Collins is gonna throw to him no matter what.  Speaking of Collins... he is, still... well... Kerry Collins.  In leagues that don't penalize for TOs, he could be a HUGE sleeper, though.

I would project Porter at 800-900 yards and 5-6 TDs.

747918[/snapback]

Porter: 900+, 7+ TDs, my projection.