[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lawrence Phillips

CaP'N GRuNGe

Didn't he recently sell his National Championship ring in Vegas for next to nothing?

753831[/snapback]

Last football related news I can find on him is an article about him being cut by the Montreal Alouettes in '03

And yes he did pawn one of his rings:

Trouble-prone football star Lawrence Phillips apparently hit rock bottom in Las Vegas.

Phillips, an NFL bust after helping Nebraska to consecutive national titles in the mid-1990s, walked into a downtown Las Vegas pawnshop not long ago and sold one of his Big Eight championship rings for $20.

"He said he was stuck in Las Vegas," said Steve Gibson, owner of Steve's Buy & Sell, 625 Las Vegas Blvd. South. "He said, `I need to get out of town.' "

Gibson, who turned around and sold the ring on eBay for $1,700, said he tried to talk Phillips out of selling it. "I thought about giving him $20, but he would have just walked down the street and sold it."

Phillips, the sixth player taken in the 1996 draft, by the St. Louis Rams, ran afoul of the law throughout his pro career.

Phillips told Gibson he tried to hawk the ring "at every pawnshop from Tropicana to downtown," but nobody was interested because it was not gold.

"His name was on the side of the ring, but I didn't believe it was him until I saw his driver's license," Gibson said.

I wonder how his girlfriend is doing. You know, the woman that he beat up and threw down a couple flights of stairs. I lost all respect for Tom Osborne when he allowed Phillips back on the team after that incident.

Edited by spain

I wonder how his girlfriend is doing.  You know, the woman that he beat up and threw down a couple flights of stairs.  I lost all respect for Tom Osborne when he allowed Phillips back on the team after that incident.

753947[/snapback]

Last I heard, the University of Nebraska took her basketball scholorship away. Osbourne had Ahman Green, did he really need Phillips in that game?