[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which started it all........

Chief

In your mind, which started the rediculous salaries some players are getting? Is it a product of a teams specific need as in Bailey/Portis trade as a pluaseable example? Is it a players stellar year during contract year, or is it possibly the draft? These newbies are getting ton of bucks thrown at them for having not done a single thing in the NFL yet. Does Manning get his contract soley upon his worth/contributions or Culpepper or is it based on what these draftees are getting and naturally they're going to demand more?

One would think, at least I do, that somewhere ,these first rounds need to stop getting out of hand. Based purely on the money invested, these teams almost have no option but to play these guys now, today. I'll use Harrington as an example for what I believe is the case with Detroit. I believe it ruins any real preseason "competition" when a guy cleary is getting paid far more than the rest.

We seen corners get unreal contracts recently due to the supossed need of shut down corners, thus creating a positional market. Ty Law was paid 8 million if I remember right even before this but I feel helped create it. On the current rate of money being thrown around, it's no wonder teams have a hard time keeping their nucleus of players as we know it. If this is the beginning of a existing or potential problem? Where would you "fix" it, and where do you see the problem being as of right now? I realize the tv contract's and such, but even with the cap going up, to me just means most players will see themselves worth more than the ability to round out a great team of "reasonable or fair value" players. To me it need's to start with draft values, which possibly started most of this. Then start with current players, what are they really worth? Does New England do well due to team philosophy or it it also a by-product of really good money management?

Even though we have a cap, I'd really hate to see football begin to seem or have any reflection of other sports example being baseball and hockey. Not in the sense of no cap, but in the sense of 2 guys make 20 million and the rest of the team is made of up basement bargain players. A stretch I know but maybe Indy is an example of what may happen more frequently? 3 guys eating alot of cap space.

It can't be stopped if there are teams and owners willing to pay the amounts given out. Some call it right, as with Manning, some don't, as with Leaf. What to do, I don't know that there is anything that can be done as I have said, if there is someone willing to pay the price, more power to them. The cap has pretty much done the job it was intended to do. I say let them have at it, and let the chips fall where they may.

Veteran player contract negotiations are based on past performance, comparison to other players at the same position, years in the league, etc. A.J. Smith has said in interviews that he feels the toughest negotiations are the rookie player contracts, even though organizations base alot of what they offer on draft order. With rookies their worth is based on POTENTIAL, something that is very difficult to predict. The cap does a pretty nice job of limiting the total salary base of a team, but the maneuvering that goes on to remain under the cap is complex. Mistakes happen, and when they do, a team suffers. Letting a few "stars" take up alot of the cap is just one example of a mistake that can wreck a team.

Edited by Chargerz

Aren't rookie salaries predetermined, with the signing bonuses the only thing a player can negotiate?

754927[/snapback]

Yeah they are preset values but it appears to have an inflationary effect because agents increase for the next year draftee's.

Say the #5 pick gets a 14 million dollar signing bonus and a 5 year 22 million dollar contract.

Well next years #5 pick is going to want 14.5 million in a signing bonus and a 5 year 24 million dollar contract. Every year some agent wants to set a new record.

I think the salary cap is based on that; they raise it proportionately to some factor and I think the rookie scale is the easiest target.

I think John Elway started it. He is the first guy that I ever heard of threatening to hold out or go to baseball if he didn't get what he wanted.............

The real problem is that there are not enough owners to stand up and say I will not comply with your offer to play for us.  It's human nature why would you work for 10 hours and make $100 when you could work the same 10 hrs. and make $200??

754991[/snapback]

If too many of them do it, it's called collusion and is against the law.

If memory serves me well,

Drew Bledsoe was the first player to get a 100 Mil+ contract from the Pats.

And you all know how that worked out.

It may be a little absurd, but Pro Football is the #1 sport, viewing, & merchandising, that there is right now.

Yeah they are preset values but it appears to have an inflationary effect because agents increase for the next year draftee's.

I think the salary cap is based on that; they raise it proportionately to some factor and I think the rookie scale is the easiest target.

754982[/snapback]

To the best of my knowledge the salary cap is set based on the league's TV contracts or revenue. Each year, the cap is raised directly proportional to the increase in TV money for that given year.

At the start of each season, each team receives a check covering its salary cap payroll for the season.

Anyone know have the actual formula?

If too many of them do it, it's called collusion and is against the law.

754993[/snapback]

I thought it was collusion if there was a premeditated agreement between owners to do that. If its individual owners doing it (one owner has no idea the other owners did the same)...its not collusion.

Than again, Im not in the legal profession. Just my 2 cents.