[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who wins it all tonight?

Meat Face

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins it all tonight?

• Illinois
    • North Carolina

My 7-year old son filled out his first bracket this year. He basically looked at W-L records and seeds, and only picked 5 upsets the whole tournament.

He has Illinois over NC in the final.

How many of you have ever gotten both teams to the final game, let alone in your first ever bracket? He thinks this is too easy.

Guest dabears
I'm an alum, but I really feel that Illinois' defense is the key tonight. It's going to be a battle. The Illini guards are better defensive players IMO.

I sure hope so.

764822[/snapback]

I second that. It will be a battle, for sure. Defense will be huge, Williams has stepped up to the plate, let's hope he will continue. Everyone will be trying to step up to the plate offensively, hopefully a couple will stick out and take control. I give Head and Powell props for the last game, just awesome playing. Dee has been quiet as of late, but I think it's been more of a diversion. Although, I can think of a couple shots he should have taken, but passed/dumped off. Don't know if it's confidence or not. I do know NC has some big guys, but Augustine and Powell aren't small, going to be a good match.

Go Illini !

Definitely gonna come down to guard play. May is gonna get his double-double, sorry Augustine. Augustine and the two bench whiteys need to body up to May and make him work hard for his 22 and 11, though. If Williams and Head can play pressure D and Brown can get a few steals, Illinois will definitely have a chance to win it. What scares me a bit is the fact that the money is VERY heavy on Illinois, at least so far. The line opened at -3 minutes after UNC trounced MSPoo. I took them at that spread, thinking that after seeing that debacle, the money would go UNC's way. Surprisingly, it went the opposite way... enough where it went down to -2.5... and then to -2. Wow. And USUALLY, the masses are WRONG. I honestly thought it'd be 83-80 UNC. I nailed the opening spread... :D ... as an Illini fan, it pained me to submit that bet, but UNC's offense is simply relentless and just keeps RUNNING... If the Orange Krush can get BACK on D and defend May to some extent, I think they have a shot. Of course my heart is with my boys, but my head says UNC just has too many weapons. Then again, if Illinois gets hot from three point range, it could be very interesting. The o/u is 153.5... I think both teams can score in the 80s.

It'll be a great game, but I'm betting on the Illini. If it comes down to guard play, there is no better backcourt in college basketball, and Illinois should prevail!! :D

UNC's interior, I think will be too much for the Illini to handle. Scoring and rebounding will be a major issue tonight. Offensively, If you trap May, inevitably, you leave another threat open. If Jawad Williams has another game like the one he did the other night, UNC will be very difficult to handle.

While Illinois has 3 great guards, UNC's guards are quality as well. The Illini MUST slow down the pace of the game, make UNC play defense for 25-35 seconds. Also, Illinois must shoot well. If they go 7-30 from the 3 point line, it's going to be a long night.

If UNC hits 7+ threes, its over.

Illinois must also hope the ref's call a tight game.

No matter who wins, it should be a fantastic game. Both teams obviously deserve to be there. It's almost a shame one of these teams has to lose.

UNC gets a little more mature, and a little smarter every game. I just think this year is their year.

GO HEELS!

He basically looked at W-L records and seeds, and only picked 5 upsets the whole tournament.

He has Illinois over NC in the final.

How many of you have ever gotten both teams to the final game, let alone in your first ever bracket?  He thinks this is too easy.

764824[/snapback]

Well, considering Illinois and UNC went 1-2 in the final polls it really isn't as big of a stretch as you'd think. But good job to the younger KevinL!

I personally don't think Illinois will be able to hang with UNC. They haven't been impressive the whole tournament in my opinion and UNC is just relentless.

Well, considering Illinois and UNC went 1-2 in the final polls it really isn't as big of a stretch as you'd think.  But good job to the younger KevinL!

I personally don't think Illinois will be able to hang with UNC.  They haven't been impressive the whole tournament in my opinion and UNC is just relentless.

765153[/snapback]

True, but how many times do two #1 seeds ever meet in the final? And to that end, how many times do the #1 and #2 end-of-season-ranked teams meet in the final? I believe it was the 1970's when that last happened.....

Whatever happens tonight, it has been an amazing year for Illinois.

Especially after how brutal their football program has been, this program is just what the doctor ordered for the university.

765269[/snapback]

Yeah, two terrible football programs whose hoops teams are at the tops of their game.

UNC kicking ass at the half. 

What did I tell you about when UNC hits the 3?

765421[/snapback]

Yup they look good, as I expected. However, UNC's in some mild foul trouble. I expect Illinois to put up a nice run to start the 2nd half and will cut it to 4-5 .... and eventually probably closer ... and it should stay close until the final buzzer.

UNC is making Illinois look like scrubs. They should sit back in that zone all night and they'll win.

765432[/snapback]

Yeah, but big whitey's getting boards for Illinois, Augustine will return from a foul-plagued first half and Powell is Powell... he'll get boards. All that being said, the middle will be packed and the Illini guards WILL start hitting threes against that zone.

Yeah, but big whitey's getting boards for Illinois, Augustine will return from a foul-plagued first half and Powell is Powell... he'll get boards.  All that being said, the middle will be packed and the Illini guards WILL start hitting threes against that zone.

765440[/snapback]

All I can say is with the way they played in the first half, I feel lucky that the Illini are only down 10!