[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins decide on Alex Smith...

Jo

Saban ready to deal at No. 2

Dolphins coach Nick Saban has decided QB Alex Smith is the best pick at No. 2. But Saban is willing to trade down, sources say, and the Bucs are interested.

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLE

asalguero@herald.com

The Dolphins are focused on drafting Utah quarterback Alex Smith with the second overall pick, but Miami also is in discussions with at least one team about trading that selection.

One source said Thursday that coach Nick Saban has decided Smith -- not any of the likely available running backs such as Auburn's Ronnie Brown -- would be the best pick for Miami at No. 2, assuming California quarterback Aaron Rodgers is drafted by San Francisco.

But two league sources also confirmed the Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have discussed a possible trade involving both teams' first-round selections and other considerations.

The Bucs, who pick fifth overall, are apparently equally enamored with the idea of selecting Smith at No. 2. Tampa Bay's brain trust decided last weekend Smith is a better prospect than Rodgers.

The Bucs' interest became more serious Thursday after it seemed likely the 49ers will take Rodgers, leaving Smith available. The 49ers had contract discussions with Mike Sullivan, who represents Rodgers, on Wednesday, and the discussions reportedly laid a positive foundation for a deal.

Tom Condon, who represents Smith, was scheduled to fly to San Francisco on Thursday to try to lay a similar foundation for his client, but the league sources say that session doesn't offer the same prospect for success as the one with Rodgers' agent.

Assuming that scenario holds, the Bucs want to move up. But the price, as with all such trades, would be the subject of intense negotiations.

A FAIR EXCHANGE

The Dolphins, like all other NFL teams, have a trade-value chart that outlines the price for trading draft picks.

Saban said two weeks ago he would ''absolutely'' go by that chart in deciding the value of a trade.

And according to most such charts, Tampa Bay would have to give up its first, second and third-round picks this year to move up three slots to Miami's spot.

The teams also might discuss exchanging draft picks next year should the Bucs balk at making the three-for-one deal now.

The Dolphins also are going to try to involve other teams in the bidding process to drive up the price of a trade, although it is unclear whether any other team has stepped forward.

So what if that all fails?

Smith, who visited with Saban and other team staffers Wednesday and Thursday, according to Condon, is the apparent choice.

QB OR NOT QB?

Saban has said the quarterback is the most valued player on any team.

''That guy handles the ball every time, he makes a decision on every play,'' he said during the NFL owners' meetings last month. ``So it's a critical position in terms of not just stability but knowledge, experience, judgment, making good decisions and that type of thing.

``We feel we have some talented people on our team right now, but everybody has to prove they can play with consistency.''

That doesn't mean Smith is a can't-miss prospect. He played in a college offense that rarely used anything other than a shotgun spread formation. And Saban has bemoaned the odds of taking a quarterback with such an early pick.

''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30-percent hit,'' Saban said. ``I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

Why does Gruden want Smith?

779574[/snapback]

Because Gruden loves QB's. I will be very pissed if this happens. No way can the Bucs give up 3 draft picks for one. This is the first season in many years where they actually have all their picks. Personally, I think Gruden or Saban is throwing up a smokescreen.

Because Gruden loves QB's.  I will be very pissed if this happens.  No way can the Bucs give up 3 draft picks for one.  This is the first season in many years where they actually have all their picks.  Personally, I think Gruden or Saban is throwing up a smokescreen.

779586[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Like Saban said there's a 30% success rate on drafting Qb's in the 1st round. Why waste a pick on the next Tim Couch, Cade Mcnown or Akilli Smith, when you can grab more of a sure thing at rb or wr? And Gruden is smarter than this.

This would whoop arse.  Go SABAN!!!!

I bet you he does not even want Smtih, but knows Gruden does

779590[/snapback]

I don't understand why any team would waste a top 5 pick on Rodgers or Smith. They're not a whole lot better than Campbell, Frye or McPherson and those guys will go between the 2nd and 4th rounds.

I think Saban's pulling a jack move.  He's gonna deal this pick for more draft picks and still get one of the top three backs in the draft.  Why does Gruden want Smith?

779574[/snapback]

Well, I would agree, but the much publicized talks between Saban and Ricky may have him looking away from the RB position. Almost all the pundits feel there is something to the talks and with Ricky's recent financial trouble (child support payments & 8 million beans he owes miami), I think its a lock he comes back this season.

The NFL was once ready to credit him with "time served" allowing him to avoid any suspension and I can seem them putting that back on the table.

If Saban knows Ricky is coming back, he may not be throwing up a screen.

I have heard though that both QBs are as good as Rivers, Eli and Big Ben.

779611[/snapback]

Big Ben's the only one of three that's proven themselves. Rivers hasn't recieved a shot yet but 30% sucks. Take a back and pick Campbell.

he has is eye on derrick johnson. THe guy can play. As a sophomore vs lsu DJ led his team in tackles and had an int. Saban knows all about this guy and how he is hte most talented guy in the draft. If saban can move down adn get his precious 2nd round pick (or high 3rd) he'll do it in a heartbeat and grab DJ

Miami lost starter greenwood and seau is mad old and coming off of an injury. zach thomas may only have 2 years left too. Imagine jason taylor and DJ together thats sick.

Saban knows ricky even with all the bullshucks is better than cadillac, ronnie and benson

ricky in his prime had ronnie's speed and hands, cadillacs elusiveness and bensons power

I was thinking the same thing.  Like Saban said there's a 30% success rate on drafting Qb's in the 1st round.  Why waste a pick on the next Tim Couch, Cade Mcnown or Akilli Smith, when you can grab more of a sure thing at rb or wr?  And Gruden is smarter than this.

779589[/snapback]

The reason is simple: A stud QB can overcome multiple offensive deficiencies (McNabb from '00-'03, Vick in '02) and lead a team deep into the playoffs. On the flip side, no team with an incompetent QB is going to win a SB. I think just about any GM would take a stud QB over a stud RB or WR.

Saban would be foolish to pass up on Smith, IMO. I think that he's more of a slam dunk than Rodgers. Smith did extremely well with mediocre talent around him at Utah, put up a Peyton-esque performance in the classroom, scored incredibly high on the Wunderlic test, and wowed scouts at the Combine. It doesn't get much better than that.

Edited by Bill Swerski

This would whoop arse.  Go SABAN!!!!

I bet you he does not even want Smtih, but knows Gruden does

779590[/snapback]

This is exactly right. Saban does not want Smith but knows Gruden is taking a look at him with the #5 pick. If Saban then says he likes Smith and is thinking about taking him, Gruden then gets all nervous and thinks he has to trade up. However, Gruden is not dumb enough to fall for it. Atleast I hope. :D

Come on their Jolly....Gruden gets his QB - Saban gets his picks....we all walk away happy

779987[/snapback]

Haha, you mean Saban walks away like a bandit. :D Why did Gruden resign Griese if he was just going to draft a QB? And what happens to Chris Simms if Gruden drafts Smith? This just doesnt make any sense to me.

No chance of a third this year and second next year?

780025[/snapback]

Alright you drive a hard bargain. Since we have two thrid rounders this year, I'll give you our second third round pick this year and our second next year.

darnit, I'm getting taken by the Dolphins just like Gruden is :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:brow::):coach::slap:

Nick Saban, master strategist, boldly announces he has settled on taking a quarterback--which makes no sense--and will not be dissuaded! (Unless, of course, you're willing to make him an offer . . .)

Seriously, is there anyone in the world who is dumb enough to fall for this? He's been talking about trading down from the get go, then a week before the draft "announces" he's decided he'll take a mid-first-round-talent-level QB at the 1.2, just a month after signing Frerotte to start, just a year after the franchise traded value to get Feely?

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Peace

policy

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :brow:  :)  :coach:  :slap:

Nick Saban, master strategist, boldly announces he has settled on taking a quarterback--which makes no sense--and will not be dissuaded!  (Unless, of course, you're willing to make him an offer . . .)

Seriously, is there anyone in the world who is dumb enough to fall for this?  He's been talking about trading down from the get go, then a week before the draft "announces" he's decided he'll take a mid-first-round-talent-level QB at the 1.2, just a month after signing Frerotte to start, just a year after the franchise traded value to get Feely?

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Peace

policy

780277[/snapback]

Dropping knowledge.

I haven't read it yet but I will now.

Simms to Miami as part of the package?  :D

780008[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking. I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and they were talking about Simms (Local ESPN affil. in Austin, why else would they be talking Simms?) Gruden has pointed out recently all the things Simms does wrong peppered with some positive. I think he has pretty much had his chance in Tampa.

Saban would make a killing if he got picks out of a trade with Tampa and still got a top 3 back at #5. Would be an awesome move in a first year. BUT...it's not Gruden's first year in the NFL.

Edited by Blitztalk