[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Todd Heap injury will impact 2005

justin

His recovery will impact pre-season, but is expected to be ready by opening night.

Heap likely out much of preseason

Tight end had surgery on shoulder; expected back for Ravens' opener

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published May 13, 2005

Remnants of an injury-marred 2004 season will affect this upcoming one for Todd Heap.

Recent shoulder surgery is expected to sideline the two-time Pro Bowl tight end for a majority of training camp, Ravens coach Brian Billick confirmed yesterday. The tentative plan is to keep Heap away from contact for at least the first two weeks of camp, which begins Aug. 1.

"I would not anticipate seeing him full-go until probably the second or third preseason game," Billick said.

Heap, the Ravens' leading receiver in 2002 and 2003, missed 10 games last season because of a severely sprained ankle.

The dilemma this offseason was not being able to repair the ankle and the shoulder at the same time. Because he couldn't support himself on crutches with a healing shoulder, Heap had to wait until his ankle was out of the protective boot before undergoing his second surgery.

Team officials estimated he had surgery on the shoulder about a month ago.

"It's kind of a double whammy," Billick said. "In a perfect world, he would have been able to get both done at the same time and he would be ready for the first day of training camp."

This season will be an important one for Heap.

He is in the final year of his contract and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March. Ravens officials said he is one of their priorities in getting a contract extension.

Considered one of the NFL's top tight ends, Heap creates mismatch problems because of his size, speed and athletic ability. He has been the one constant in a struggling passing attack, averaging 3.4 catches a game for his four-year career.

According to Billick, Heap could return to the Ravens as early as the Aug. 20 preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. If he can't suit up until the third one (Aug. 26 at the New Orleans Saints), he would miss all of training camp.

Billick said the Ravens are confident that Heap will be ready for the regular-season opener.

"We're more than comfortable with him doing that kind of rehab in camp," Billick said. "We've gone through this with any number of different players to make sure they're physically ready. In terms of knowing what to do in the offense and his relationship with Kyle [boller, quarterback], that's pretty well developed.

"We know it's going to take a little while to get back into it once he's out there full-go. But Todd is veteran enough that I think we'll be able to minimize the effects of it."

This isnt anything to worry about. The missed practice time won't hurt Heap at all. He knows the offense, and Boller knows where to throw the ball when he's out on a pattern. He had to lose the crutches before they could do the minor shoulder surgery. No, I don't have solid info that it was minor, but given that they expect him back in time for part of the preseason, it had to be. I'll guess it was a partial cuff tear, which isnt nearly as big a deal as a full tear is. He'll be fine...... I hope... :D

"Team officials estimated he had surgery on the shoulder about a month ago."

Estimated? About? They don't know when he had the surgery? What kind of bull is that? How could they NOT KNOW?

Players having secret surgery.... LOL

I traded him, London Flecher , and Rookie Pick 1.6 for dom davis... feeling better about that now.

812629[/snapback]

consider that i had to match 35 fusion bucks on dom in that trade too. i knew about this before the trade. he is fully expected back for the season opener. is anyone really concerned about a few preseason games in which he wouldn't have played much anyway??? not i. considering who i had at te, my one big deficiency, and my rb situation, i'm still very happy with this trade. and, if my premonition comes true.....this was a marvelous trade for me. should be good for you too josh.

His recovery will impact pre-season, but is expected to be ready by opening night.

812543[/snapback]

Good news for Heap owners! :D