[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roethlisberger and Burress

Outshined

This was posted in the Star and Trib and I couldn't find it on ESPN. Not that its a big deal, but you know why Burress was getting the ball all the time.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger denied Thursday that he and wide receiver Plaxico Burress sometimes ignored the team's playbook in order to make up passing plays designed to get Burress the ball.

An ESPN.com story said Burress adjusted certain pass routes to fit the plays he and Roethlisberger came up with, regardless of the play called by the coaches. Roethlisberger laughed off the report, saying all quarterbacks and receivers adjust on the fly.

getting the ball all the time = 35 receptions ? :D

831500[/snapback]

You would notice the Burress love if you had Hines Ward on any of your rosters last season. Ward was a decoy on too many occasions, especially in November.

His stats for 9 consecutive games were as follows:

11/7 2-32,1

11/14 3-42

11/21 3-15

11/28 3-42

12/5 4-80,1

12/12 2-38

12/18 9-134

12/26 3-21

1/2/05 2-11

Ward scored a single (Receiving) TD in 5 regular season games. This is not what I call a pro-bowl season.

Edited by MikesVikes

You would notice the Burress love if you had Hines Ward on any of your rosters last season.  Ward was a decoy on too many occasions, especially in November.

His stats for 9 consecutive games were as follows:

11/7   2-32,1

11/14 3-42

11/21 3-15

11/28 3-42

12/5   4-80,1

12/12  2-38

12/18  9-134

12/26  3-21

1/2/05 2-11

Ward scored a single (Receiving) TD in 5 regular season games.  This is not what I call a pro-bowl season.

832212[/snapback]

I wouldn't say that Ben often times went out of his way to get Burress the ball. He did make some bad reads throughout the season throwing to Burress when he was double covered but I think that was a rookie making bad reads. He also threw to Ward in situations he was double covered as well.

edited to add: I understand what you were saying about Ward not getting the ball but much later in the season but at the same time that is when Ben wasnt putting up what I would call great numbers during that time. Also during the games listed above Burress did not play in 5 of those weeks. Ben couldnt have been trying to get the ball to Burress much during that time frame

Edited by max

It just seemed like early on, Burress became his favorite target. I think even DMD commented on it in one of his articles. Burress also didn't play the last 5 or 6 games.

832279[/snapback]

I agree with you there. At that point it was kind of a relief to see Burress getting the ball more. When Maddox was in there he never threw to Burress. When Ben started to play he threw to everyone rather than just Ward. Even Tuman was getting a few balls thrown his way and that never happens but Burress did seem at that point to be his go to guy.