[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Rosenhaus' Ascension

THE SIX KINGS

McGahee deal sparked Rosenhaus' ascension

By Greg Garber

ESPN.com

Archive

The promise was predictably over the top, predictably pure Drew Rosenhaus.

The Miami Beach-based agent told University of Miami running back Willis McGahee – who had suffered a catastrophic knee injury in his final college game – that he would be a first-round draft choice in spring 2003. Rosenhaus even offered to waive his usual 3 percent commission and work for free if it didn't happen.

"Hey, can't beat that," McGahee said. "That's [gutsy]. I was probably expecting second, third, [at] the latest [the] fourth or fifth round."

"I absolutely believed it," Rosenhaus explained. "I was absolutely convinced because I had rarely seen a talent like Willis McGahee. The way that I operate, it's all or nothing. I make up my mind that we're going to get something done, and we do it."

McGahee signed with Rosenhaus in February 2003, and two months later the Buffalo Bills made him the No. 23 overall choice, and the first running back taken, in the 2003 NFL draft. Four months later, after delicate reconstructive surgery and intense rehabilitation, McGahee signed a five-year contract worth nearly $16 million.

That was almost two years ago. In retrospect, it was the beginning of Rosenhaus' startling ascension toward becoming the NFL's most powerful and financially successful agent. Six months after Denver running back Clinton Portis hired Rosenhaus, he was traded to the Washington Redskins – and, after only two seasons in the NFL, Portis received the richest contract ever for a running back, an eight-year deal worth $50.5 million, including $17 million in bonuses.

Rosenhaus has gone from 35 clients to an NFL-high 90-plus players and has written more than a half-billion dollars in contracts in the last year. In the last six months, some of the league's biggest stars have left their agents and signed with Rosenhaus Sports for the purpose of seeking a new contract – including Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker, Indianapolis Colts running back Edgerrin James and Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Heading into the NFL's training camps, the negotiations involving these players should prove to be captivating drama.

A time line of the 10 deals that propelled Rosenhaus Sports to the top of the NFL:

1. Aug 23, 2003: McGahee signs a five-year contract with the Bills worth $15.92 million, including bonuses of $4.15 million.

Note: Rosenhaus considers helping McGahee get drafted in the first round the most unlikely achievement of his 17-year career.

2. Feb 26, 2004: Miami Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas signs a five-year restructured contract worth $27 million, including a bonus of $10.5 million.

Note: A year earlier, Thomas had signed a six-year, $33.75 million deal that made him the second-highest-paid NFL linebacker.

3. March 3, 2004: Portis signs an eight-year contract with the Redskins worth $50.5 million, including a $17 million signing bonus.

Note: It was the richest contract ever for a running back, coming after only two years in the NFL – and, according to Rosenhaus, his best deal ever.

4. March 3, 2004: Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse signs an eight-year deal worth $63 million, including a $16 million signing bonus – despite missing 14 games over the two previous seasons.

Note: It was the biggest contract ever for an NFL defensive lineman.

5. March 3, 2004: Dolphins place-kicker Olindo Mare signs a six-year contract worth $10.5 million, including a $3.5 million signing bonus.

Note: The deal was a restructuring of the 2002 contract, and it made him the NFL's highest-paid place-kicker ever.

6. March 3, 2004: Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp signs a seven-year contract worth $36.6 million, including bonuses of $7 million.

Note: Sapp has been paid more money than any defensive tackle in league history.

7. Aug. 24, 2004: Chicago Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye signs a six-year contract worth $34 million, including a $15 million signing bonus.

Note: After a complicated series of events spanning six months, it was the richest contract ever for a restricted free agent.

8. March 3, 2005: New York Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce signs a six-year deal worth $25.5 million, including a $6.5 million signing bonus.

Note: It was the biggest contract ever for a one-year starting linebacker. Pierce started only 10 games in his first three seasons but broke through with a 16-start, 110-tackle 2004 season with the Redskins.

9. March 17, 2005: Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress signs a six-year contract worth $25 million, including an $8.25 million signing bonus.

Note: The deal was consummated six days after Burress fired agent Michael Harrison, 24 hours after the mandated five-day waiting period.

10. May 5, 2005: Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss signs a six-year contract worth $31 million, including an $11 million signing bonus.

Note: Moss was traded from the New York Jets to the Redskins on March 13.

How about the deal he made with the devil for his soul.  That has to be up there somewhere.

:D

835523[/snapback]

Actually, as far as agents go, Rosenhaus seems the least slimey of all. Which isn't saying much... but by no means is he a Scott Boras. That guy is ruining baseball. Scumball. :D

Actually, as far as agents go, Rosenhaus seems the least slimey of all.  Which isn't saying much... but by no means is he a Scott Boras.  That guy is ruining baseball.  Scumball.  :D

835552[/snapback]

And definitely not as bad as one of the Poston brothers or however that name is spelled... but, he is definitely better at negotiating deals than Master P... just ask Ricky Williams.

Actually, as far as agents go, Rosenhaus seems the least slimey of all.  Which isn't saying much... but by no means is he a Scott Boras.  That guy is ruining baseball.  Scumball.  :D

835552[/snapback]

A) Calling an agent the least slimey is like saying what the Turks did to the Armenians was the least disgusting genocide of the 20th Century.

B ) Football agents are slimeballs. Each and every one. Leigh Steinberg might be the exception, as he associates himself with superstars. And don't get me started on the general character of University of Miami football players :D

C) Scott Boras might be the one who asks for the contracts, but is it his fault there are owners who will offer?

Edited by godtomsatan

I got a pretty good deal going, but I wonder if he could give my boss a call, anyway? :D Nah, I have a pretty good idea where a hold out would get me. :D

Being a Philly fan I hate to see T.O. hold out. On the other hand I would love to see the Eagles stick to their guns on this. Rosenhaus was completely wrong in going public with the T.O. thing and the Eagles hate that kind of crap. Also, ,and I know this is his job, but Rosenhaus is making it sound like Owens is one of the l;owest paid WRs when he is one of the top 3 if you take his salary over the first 3 years. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I would love to see T.O. sit out at first and the Eagles go 3-0 or something. Especially if some of the WRs step up.