[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Contenders

PantherDave

All these predictions, so here we go-let's have three contenders and a darkhorse from each conference. Contenders in no particular order.

NFC Contenders- Carolina, Philly, Atlanta

NFC DarkHorse- New Orleans

AFC Contenders- New England, Indy, Pittsburgh

AFC DarkHorse- Cincy

Some mags and MB members have said watch out for Baltimore, and I can see the logic. If Boller gels-maybe

AFC Contenders- New England, Indy, Pittsburgh

AFC DarkHorse- Cincy

Some mags and MB members have said watch out for Baltimore, and I can see the logic. If Boller gels-maybe

839215[/snapback]

I think the Ravens are contenders even without Boller "geling". If Boller does step it up, then I think they are more than contenders.

I think the Ravens are contenders even without Boller "geling".  If Boller does step it up, then I think they are more than contenders.

839427[/snapback]

I agree 100%. People seem to forget that Boller only needs to be as 'good' as Dilfer.

I can almost guarentee every Brownie will get boos when they exit the tunnel in Baltimore, but I expect a standing-o for Dilfer.

I agree 100%.  People seem to forget that Boller only needs to be as 'good' as Dilfer. 

I can almost guarentee every Brownie will get boos when they exit the tunnel in Baltimore, but I expect a standing-o for Dilfer.

839684[/snapback]

Good point Red. I think letting Dilfer go might have been the momentum killer for that team....it's taken them this long to get back to serious contention.

Good point Red.  I think letting Dilfer go might have been the momentum killer for that team....it's taken them this long to get back to serious contention.

839711[/snapback]

The Ravens originally planned for 2001 to be 'their year', but they won it ahead of schedule. They knew in 2002 they'd have major cap problems, hence the mass cuts and retirements. They now have several players (Ed Reed, Jamal Lewis, Todd Heap) that have 1 or 2 years left on their contract and will need to redo those. I think they let Boulware go this year instead of next as part of a plan to restock gradually, not all at once like 2002.

The Ravens originally planned for 2001 to be 'their year', but they won it ahead of schedule.  They knew in 2002 they'd have major cap problems, hence the mass cuts and retirements.

839746[/snapback]

The cuts in 2002 were inevitable, but I don't think that had anything to do with managements' decision to let Trent go and bring in Elvis. I think that decision was made by Billick with the intent to spark the passing game - it backfired. The 2001 team was a good one and I think that Trent would have taken that team further then Grabc did. Cuts and retirements didn't really happen until after the 2001 season.

I agree with SteelBunz in that the QB move was a momentum killer.