[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Mgt Software: the good, the bad, & NFL.com

Guest THEbigred

Guest THEbigred

FREE ONES:

NFL.com: yes, this is just plain ugly. There is NO ability to modify ANY of their settings...not even how many teams in the league! Need I go on? Avoid at all costs unless you really don't care about trivial stuff like.....well anything other than your team name (PS apparently "Crackers" is politically incorrect as I wasn't allowed that as part of my name, even tho there was clearly no racist implications of any kind in it - ie kind of stupidity you'd expect from ESPN).

YAHOO: Too limited in options and features (eg no live scoring, very limited flex in starting lineups and waiver rules, etc) and not a very good/"nice" interface at all IMO. Best you can say is it's not NFL.com (and it's stable ie been around awhile).

ESPN: somewhat better, but still pretty limited in generally the same ways as Yahoo. Also I've noticed that the response time seems really poor (might be just me, but noticably worse than the others). Basically not bad for free and a modest upgrade over Yahoo. Not sure how long they've been doing it tho.

FOX: better still then ESPN, most notably including live scoring, but still has the limitations I've now come to expect from freebies on waiver rules, lineups, etc. Downside is that they're new so stability/reliability is a concern. Otherwise probably the best free one.

AOL: just signed up and it looks very good on paper, very tailorable, live scoring etc...however it is also new, so reliability is an unknown.

PAY SITES:

FFLM: in terms of flexibilty and power to do a league how you want, you will not beat this. EXTREMELY detailed and tailorable. Cost is also reasonable ($50ish, give or take depending on if you're a repeat customer), reliability is great, and customer service is outstanding. Unfortunately, the downside is considerable, ie you must host on your own website and basically do a lot of stuff manually that many of us simply would rather not do. This was awesome "back in the day" - but that day has passed, unless you have a really hard-core league that insists on doing things a very specific way.

MFL: IMO the best choice of non-freebies. They host it all, it's very powerful/tailorable, a VERY nice web site interface which is also very tailorable (even for individual owners), etc and also reasonable cost ($60-75). Live scoring, weather/injury reports, direct link to KFFL tidbits etc, simply well done. Also been around awhile, excellent customer service, and (at least as I hear it) very reliable.

CBS: $130? lol. I don't care how good it is.......for this price, it's IMO hideously overpriced.

And frankly those are the only pay ones I feel qualified to comment on. Anyone who has used others (Rotowire, Fanball, whatever), appreciate feedback, esp. those who have used those as well as MFL for comparison.

Of course any feedback on any of these, free or pay, appreciated, as my cheapo co-owners are clamouring for a freebie, not realizing that "you get what you pay for" is not exactly unheard of in FF, as most other things.....

First year with .. fantasy-commissioner.com ($55-$60)…all’s been super so far. Real time scoring, hosted, set-up has been easy enough, Customer Service quick and precise. Haven’t experienced during regular season yet, we’ll see, but all signs indicate, good service/site.

Haven't heard much on the freebies though......anyone??

902385[/snapback]

Yahoo is unnacceptable as far as I'm concerned. They aren't very customizeable and live scoring costs extra.

We're trying Fox for the first time this year in one free league. We'll see how it goes. At the very least... maybe they'll push Yahoo to include live scoring for free in the same way that Gmail pushed them to improve their email.

It would take a lot of convincing to make me go anywhere near AOL.

Is DOJaded still running a site?

Guest THEbigred

DO......wha.......?

Well I broke down and bought MFL. Would rather have free but bottom line, just didn't trust the freebies to be reliable, and/or they didn't have the features we wanted...

I've used Yahoo, MFL, and RTSports. I like all of them, but for different reasons. I'm going to look at Fox and AOL this year.

For my free league, Yahoo has been just fine. Never had a problem getting to the site, making changes, etc. As the commish, yeah it is limited but for a free site, I just want it there when I try and get on line. I don't expect the world and while live scoring would be nice - it ain't all that.

MFL is a little quicker responding most of the time than RTSports. Both are nice. I'm not which is better from a commish point of view as I was just a user both times and they were similar in tools for me.

I prefer mfl as far as being the commish. their customer service is #1 and very easy to manage the site. in one league we use th espn league manager which is fairly cheap, but had SO many issues last year i would never bring a league there that i run until i see a full season with no issues. their customer service reply time also sucked. cbs is way over priced, WAY overpriced for what it is, the only thing i like about cbs is the super slick draft board they send you for local drafts. from my personal i love mfl, you can do everything you can on other sites and more. Every year when a new guy comes along we get a complaint that it doesn't look as "pretty" as the site they've used in the past(cbs of course) and ironically they wind up finishing last in the league :D and of course by years end they love mfl :D

Guest THEbigred
I prefer mfl as far as being the commish.  their customer service is #1 and very easy to manage the site.  in one league we use th espn league manager which is fairly cheap, but had SO many issues last year i would never bring a league there that i run until i see a full season with no issues.  their customer service reply time also sucked.  cbs is way over priced, WAY overpriced for what it is, the only thing i like about cbs is the super slick draft board they send you for local drafts.  from my personal i love mfl, you can do everything you can on other sites and more.  Every year when a new guy comes along we get a complaint that it doesn't look as "pretty" as the site they've used in the past(cbs of course) and ironically they wind up finishing last in the league  :D and of course by years end they love mfl  :D

903138[/snapback]

I think this pretty much sums it up for me based on what I've found ie of the free sites, only Yahoo seemed free of "issues" ie proven stable/etc, but it's far too limited for me. Of the pay sites, nothing I'm aware of touches MFL ie bang/buck, so that's what I went with.

Does anyone know how the AOL waiver wire works? Can you set it up so the free agent/waiver wire doesn't open until a specific time and then the worst teams get first shot? We are thinking of moving our league from CBS Sportsline to AOL but we have to make sure AOL can handle everything we need. Also our league allows 2 players to be on IR without counting against our roster limit. Can you do that with AOL?

Thanks.

Edited by blips

We've used statsworld s/w for 9 years and the last 2 years the website. It works fine, price is reasonable and support was great. We'll probably use it this year also. But after seeing MFL, I am very impressed. I probably won't change my local to it, too lazy to set it all up again, plus we still use the s/w for the live draft, but if I had to change and didn't need/want the s/w version, I would definitely go to MFL.

We've used statsworld s/w for 9 years and the last 2 years the website.  It works fine, price is reasonable and support was great.  We'll probably use it this year also.  But after seeing MFL, I am very impressed.  I probably won't change my local to it, too lazy to set it all up again, plus we still use the s/w for the live draft, but if I had to change and didn't need/want the s/w version, I would definitely go to MFL.

904999[/snapback]

Wow! Blast from the past...

We used Statsworld software for several years after Stats, Inc. went out of business. We're in our 10th year this year.

Year 1 and 2 - Excel spreadsheet and USA Today

Year 2 and 3 - Stats, Inc. software with nasty html output like this that we would email.

Year 4, 5, and 6 - StatsWorld software with slightly less nasty html output that I actually built into a web page. Hosting cost a lot, and web design was poor!

Year 7 - 10 - myfantasyleague.com, and never looked back.

I didn't even think Statsworld was making software! They've got be holding on by the customers too lazy to change! :D

Guest THEbigred
anybody have experience with EA SPorts? We are looking at trying it this year?

904715[/snapback]

I signed up for it for "free" (due to someone's kid buying Madden 06....sucker), but you STILL need to pay $10/owner. That's worse than freakin CBS! We passed. Looked pretty good, but far from great IMO - in typical EA fashion, they appeared more about flash than substance.

FWIW we went with MFL. Basically to me it got down to the only free one that seemed definitely reliable was Yahoo......which sucks.